Le Rendez-Vous Hostal Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 10 Vilcabamba B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I made reservations here beforehand over the phone and even though I had to change our dates about 3 times, Lino, the owner, was very understanding and never made me feel bad about it. When we were running a little late because we had gotten lost, he even called to make sure we were still coming. Again, very professional and friendly. When we got there, he proceeded to give us a map of Vilcabamba and took the time to show us on the map different points of interest and good places to eat. He made us feel very welcome and at home.

The rooms were very nice and clean, a way nicer experience than I would have expected for the price. And the water in Vilcabamba makes your skin and hair feel so soft. It was incredible. The only thing about this hostel that you may want to take into consideration is that the walls are very thin and you can hear your neighbors. But everyone tries to respect that and so we didn't have any problems sleeping.

The next morning, I woke up to birds singing and a beautiful view of the mountains coming out of the mist in the distance. Sitting in my hammock, enjoying all the beautiful colors of the flowers and trees around me, I could have stayed like that for hours. However, getting up to go to the included breakfast was definitely worth it. The homemade bread was delicious!!!

So, if you're planning a trip to Vilcabamba, you have to stay here. It's beautiful!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MisiFuz

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had not originally planned to stay at Le Rendez-Vous, so we were pleasantly surprised to find this beautiful hostel on the outskirts of Vilcabamba. The managers were very friendly and gave us helpful information on the town, nearby hikes, and the border crossing into Peru.

Our room was bright, very clean, and the bed was big and comfortable. The room also had a large cupboard where you could lock up valuables. The hostel had a small collection of guidebooks and notebooks filled with info from other travelers, which we used to help plan our activities.

One of my favorite things about the rooms were the small patios (with a desk and hammock) that overlooked the main garden.

The included breakfast was great: freshly baked bread, great coffee, eggs.

We loved our stay here and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Super comfortable room and bed, clean shared bathroom and shower (toilet and shower in separate rooms which is awesome!), outstanding breakfast (whole-grain freshly baked bread!), gorgeous gardens, lots of tourist information, comfortable lounge areas with hammocks, pretty decent wi-fi signal much of the time (but not all the time -I did go to town a few times when I needed high speed connection); awesome location; brilliant all around -we couldn't believe the price! Absolutely loved staying here! You can do your own laundry as well. They have safe water available if you're tired of purifying your own. There is a kettle for making tea. If you will be arriving after 8pm make reservations ahead of time since they don't answer the doorbell after that time.

Room Tip: If there are many rooms available asked to be shown around because there are distinct areas and you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband & I stayed 3 nights at Le Rendezvous while looking at real estate in Vilcabamba.
We were greeted warmly, shown to our room, and then given a tour of the property. There is a large wall around the property which makes it very secure, and inside the wall is a lovely garden where hummingbirds often visit. Each room has a comfy hammock hanging on the front porch, and there is a little table with chairs if you'd like to sit outside. The room was okay. What we didn't like, was the pillows - they are about as thick as a Maxi pad which makes for a very stiff, sore neck in the morning. Even using 2 didn't help - they really do need to buy some decent pillows for the place. The bathroom has only a tiny shelf above the sink, so there's nowhere to put your toiletries. There is an armoir in the room with hangers, so there is sufficient closet space. I found the room to be quite dark and dingy, but that may just be me - I like a bright and sunny room. Breakfasts were okay, although if you don't eat eggs, you might go a little hungry with just fruit and toast. This place is in easy walking distance of the "downtown" shops - good location. We did hear some partying and dogs barking one night - no big deal though. Note - there are no screens on the windows, and if you don't close the windows before the sun starts to set, you'll have unwanted mosquitos for the night. The owner's are good about making phone calls for taxis and such - they do aim to please.
All in all, this is a decent accommodation for the price ($30) - we paid $75 - $92 in Cuenca, and Quito, respecitively.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelynx00
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here for two days - it is a hidden jam this hostel. Staying outside the big tall walls you can not imagine the beauty of its garden and the elegant simplicity and rustic style of the rooms. The size of the rooms and washrooms is pretty big. Actually it is the only Ecuadorian hostel with two faucets on the sink - usually most of them have only cold water. The rooms are very cozy, nicely decorated, very clean, with hot water and complimentary toiletry. The breakfast is included in the price of the room. You can have breakfast in the cafeteria and enjoy the beautiful view of the mountains surrounding Vilcabamba.
Outside each room there is hammock and a table with two chairs, so that you could enjoy the Zen feeling of the garden. Just lying in the hammock I was able to see couple of hummingbirds flying around the flowers and trees.
The owner is very helpful and resourceful person - the hostel is very well managed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lavinika
Reviewed August 31, 2012

At only $30/ night for a double bed room, it provides the best value for hotels in Vilcabamba. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was also comfortable, unlike those of other hotels I had stayed at in Ecuador. The breakfast included was great. The hotel exterior areas and landscaping were beautiful. The location was perfect as it was right in town and at a walking distance to everything in it. However, it was enclosed and so provided a very peaceful, quiet, and safe environment apart from the town. The french owner, Nicolas, was also very hospitable, attentive, and helpful. Highly recommend to anyone visiting Vilcabamba.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Dgc3163
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I basically have to endorse the positive things that have been said previously.
This place is an oasis of calm and beauty in a generally very noisy Ecuador.
It is just a couple of blocks from the main square where food and drink is readily available and for people who like to party, they can do it there or take a $2 taxi ride to the also beautiful Izhcayluma which has a restaurant and a bar. At Le Rendez-Vous it is quiet and you are guaranteed not to be disturbed.
I shared a 2 bed room with a generous co-worker - she let me use the big bed. We were both very comfortable in this high ceiling adobe wall room, sparsely but beautifully decorated with a wall hanging and beautiful paper lampshades.
The bathroom, as well as the room and the beds, were meticulously clean, well put together and really hot water was available at all times. And yes, the shower was the best I have experienced in the 3 months I've been in Ecuador.
A hammock in front of the room allows you to look out on the garden and served me as a place to dry my wet towel after a second shower (our long hike was incredibly dusty).
The garden is beautiful with fruit and ornamental trees, flowering shrubs and plants and the space is kept secluded by growing high sugar cane plants along the border. One of the orchids was in bloom - an extra, and we were told we could just go and cut ourselves fruit to eat if we wanted to (we did not stay long enough to take advantage of that generous offer).
Breakfast was served in a pleasant area near the kitchen with a choice of either 2 eggs or fruit salad, coffee, tea or hot chocolate, 2 thick slices of delicious home baked bread of some substance (finally - hard to get here), real butter (also hard to get in the isolated area we work in) and jam. For a little extra money you would be able to get more of any of the above if you still had room for it.
If you do come here, don't bother buying xtra water for hikes, bring some empty bottles as you can refill the 500cc ones for 10 cents each from a special drinking water container and there is less plastic trash as a result.
If you care to, you will meet interesting, nice people there, I'm sure - I did. Yes, the room with the water container is open all the time (pay is per honor system) and also has lots of informational material on local hikes, horseback outings and travels elsewhere in Ecuador and the rest of South America as well as magazines and a library of books.
Our room, overlooking the garden and for 2 people, was $15 each. For one person that room would have been $25 and cheaper rooms are available, situated differently but also very nice.
And, here is another amazing thing: on leaving I asked Nicolas where he gets the bread from and he told me they bake it for the guests from a receipe he got from a friend. I asked if would share it with me and he said he would send it via e-mail and voila, the next morning it was in my in-box.
Thank you, Nicolas!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank seeker943
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
Madre Tierra Resort & Spa
0 mi away
Hosteria El Descanso de Ramses
Hosteria El Descanso de Ramses
#9 of 10 in Vilcabamba

Been to Le Rendez-Vous Hostal Guesthouse? Share your experiences!