“Great all round”
Review of Mama Calabar

Mama Calabar
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Wembley
Cuisines: African
Description: Excellent African (Nigerian) restaurant in Wembley, closest Tube Wembley Park. Their Sunday buffet allows for tasting a variety of tasty Nigerian dishes including fufu, meat and fish in various sauces, vegetables and salads at a quite acceptable price. Highly recommended, elegant interiors, careful and friendly service.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great service and atmosphere . In an office block but once in the restuarant you forget where you are as its nicely set out and decorated. Food cooked to order and taste 8/10. Good value for money

1  Thank Natashah85

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I would have given this restaurant 0 If this option was available tried to book a table by phone and the call receiver was so rude that I ever regretted even calling in the first place. The restaurant staff are nothing to write home about

3  Thank Nkay2
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were having guests from outside the UK and for entertainment they requested something African,
Well, being a West Londoner we thought we will give 'Mama Calabar' a visit. First time on a Friday
evening and then after much persuasion we tried a Saturday night as well.

On both occasions I found the experience most disappointing. The waiters and waitresses were not
friendly and visibly not interested in the job. Their product knowledge was also very poor (the waiters who attended to us had no idea what drinks they had on offer).
Service was extremely slow or non-existent as we found out on the Saturday when our order for starters went missing. We had to cancel of course only to find out that the main dish was at least another hour's wait.

This venue has a good decor and is blessed with space. The space however is very under-utilized as
on the Saturday there were hardly any customers, pretty dead and no atmosphere. Such a contrast to
the Friday where on the other hand we could not even hear ourselves 'think' due to the volume of the
music being pumped by a DJ. Apparently Friday night is Clubnight - wish someone could have told us before we were seated. 'Clubnight'? I thought Mama Calabar was a restaurant.

My biggest gripe?: THIS PLACE IS VERY OVER PRICED.
The food was simply average, I've had great African food at less than half Mama Calabar's prices.

It looks to me the management is trying to run this place on the cheap and could do better by
investing in their staff and providing a good African experience for their clients. My guests would have certainly loved that but instead what they got was just another regular restaurant with the only distiguishing feature of serving African dishes.

We will not be going back there anytime soon.

9  Thank Ade224466
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've always wanted to try African cuisine. My friend who is from Zimbabwe needed to remind me that I need to choose a certain country's cuisine because if I google " African Cuisine" it could be anything. A friend at work then suggested Mama Calabar. I've searched online and the reviews were horrible. A good friend offered to go and check it out before telling the rest of the circle about it. He came ack with a good news. We ended up visiting mama calabar yesterday, 15th of febuary. It did not start in a good note. As we arrive 5 minutes later than our reservation they decided to give our reserved seats to somebody else.then they put a set of low table and chairs together for us, my friend spoke with one of the staff about it and they patiently prepared another area for us. As most of us haven't tasted Nigerian cuisine, we all opted for the buffet. All of the dishes, apart from the chicken which was a bit tough for me,was divine. It wasn't too spicy as our Nigerian friend warned us, but you have the option to use a chili paste if you want it spicier. The fish was fresh and the beef was tender,you can taste the different spices they used. They have two sets of rice and both were good. They even have the best tasting Fanta fizzy drink ever :) the staffs we're generally accommodating : a friend ordered red wine for everyone but some wanted white, we asked the waiter to change two bottles and she did, she even brought two types for us to choose from.
Faults? : if you opt not to have the buffet, be prepared to wait for30-45 minutes. I really wanted some tilapia and my friend was gracious enough to order one, it took quite a while before it came, my friend needed to go and check twice with the waiter.

1  Thank Kat03078
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have been here twice after several months and years of advertisment through word of mouth. Finally . . . . . . . The long waited attendance had come to past. Honestly . . . as a young man entering my mid 20's, i felt like the place was for oldies. I was long away from what i was about to experience. The atmosphere is absolutely Amazing, The music was 100% on point, suitable for all ages and mix cultures. The women . . . . . . . . . . Boi! Lets just say as a model, i would be happy to search for my wife at the resturant. For all those who are coming from far to come eat; welol . . . . . . You will do more than just eating as the food is really nice. I am Congolese and i have been converted. I am now there every Friday night with my Crazy dance moves, my empty stomach. The drinks are reasonable the pricing is just right. I would reccomend everyone to go test it out, review or no review. This is the place to be if your someone who loves good food, good music and good environment. Thank you

3  Thank TeandreLuta