All reviewslotos familypool bartwo weeksyogurtevery morningcar hirerelaxing holidayfocal pointrooms are basicnext yearbuffet breakfastfriendly family run hotelthe water is crystal cleargreat familyhome grownmany reasonslaid back
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Stayed at Sofia Hotel in kambos recently, hotel is about a 2-3 star (probably in between) although for the price I certainly wouldnt complain. Rooms are cleaned daily so are always clean and whilst I agree with another reviewer that the beds are quite hard I never had a problem getting to sleep. The pool is one of the cleanest I have experienced and the staff are continually picking anything out the pool that shouldnt be there throughout the day whenever the pool is quiet. Bathrooms are essentially a wet room so water does get everywhere however there is a drain in the middle of the bathroom for this reason and again it wasnt an issue as its designed that way.

The one downside I would say about this hotel is the breakfast. I am not sure where the other reviews got the different breakfast every day from as we were presented with half a loaf of bread, jam, butter, juice and coffee each day. On the third day after a moan this changed to half a loaf of bread and an egg whether you wanted/liked eggs or not. I know the owner reads these reviews so my suggestion is have a buffet breakfast involving bread, cereal, milk, cold meats, feta, yogurt and honey. Having traveled extensively in greece this is the staple offering for many hotels and is a lesson Hotel Sofia could learn as it covers the majority of peoples breakfast likes. Sofia could also make an effort that she is enjoying serving as she rarely smiled at breakfast time!

BBQ at hotel was good and enjoyable, beer cheap, staff pleasant, pool very clean and rooms what I would expect for the price. I would suggest that reviewer mattyrr puts his hand a bit deeper into his pocket if he wants a higher star hotel! Having paid £100 for one night in a B&B of not particuarly good standard in Brighton I am not sure what Brits expect for a sub £400 holiday!

Kambos is a lovely place to visit, quite quiet when we were there but enough people to create an atomosphere in most bars and restaurants. Visited a few of the restaurants, my favourite was Angelo's, simple tasty food. I found Kambos much cheaper a town than others I have visited in greece and the rumours of prices sky rocketing across greece and its tourist industry has not yet reached sleepy Samos!

To sum up, I enjoyed my holiday and enjoyed my stay at Hotel Sofia. Breakfast was poor but there was a bakery along the road which i went to instead. If they either dropped the B&B for just bed or improved the breakfast id give an extra half star. The staff are all friendly, the dogs and cats dont bother the guests (by the way dont go to kambos if you dont like cats as they are everywhere in the town) and the rooms basic but clean. Beach a two minute walk away and some good restaurants with cheap food beer and wine. I would visit again.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

I had such high hopes, as according to Trip Advisor this is the Number 1 Hotel in Samos. I can categorically tell you this is not the case. Although the Hotel Sofia is inexpensive and there is indeed a perfectly servicable swimming pool. It felt like a glorified youth hostel. The rooms have thick steel doors and no lampshades, as well as rather bare and stark, sterile walls, perhaps more akin to a prison than a hotel room. However, the real surprise is just how uncomfortable the beds are! I understand they have recently invested in new mattreses. These are a poor choice, in fact it I was more comfortable sleeping on a rock on one of the many beaches. The pillows also are excrutiating to rest your head upon. Altogether, I managed to sleep for a total of about 45 mins out of a potential 9 hours.
There was very little evidence of where the breakfast area is as no cutlery is laid out on the tables and we had to actively seek out a member of staff to assist us. What we were then presented with amounted to a roll, some orange squash and coffee with UHT milk. Suffice it to say we did not stay for much longer at Hotel Sofia. It appears that the reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel are disingenuous and very possibly concocted by friends of the owner of the hotel, therefore please exact a degree of caution when reading them.

On a more positive note Samos is a beautiful Greek Island, and Kampos has a number of delicious tavernas and pretty beaches, but do yourself a favour don't book through Thomson. You can pay the same for much much better accommodation than you will find at Hotel Sofia.

5  Thank mattyrr
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Having read all of the amazing reviews on trip advisor I was really looking forward to staying in the Hotel Sofia.
The good things about the Hotel Sofia are: The rooms are clean and simple, the pool is lovely and well maintained, the garden well kept and pool bar is great, good location near lots of great restaurants.
However what was slightly disappointing was the very simple breakfast and very hard/uncomfortable beds and pillows.
It is a no frills and adequate hotel which reflects how much you pay to stay there. Having said this we had a wonderful holiday in Samos and enjoyed our trip very much.

Reviewed August 23, 2010

We picked this hotel as we were looking for a relaxing holiday in a scenic location and ended up getting so much more than we expected. We had always wanted to visit Samos, and after looking at reviews on Tripadvisor decided that the Hotel Sofia with all of its typical greek charm was exactly the sort of place we were looking for.

Hotel Sofia is run by a really friendly bloke called Vasilis - by the time the week was through we were good friends with him. He runs the hotel with his family who are all equally lovely, his dad found us before we left to thank us for staying with them. We had many drinks with Vasilis on an evening, went swimming with him and his gorgeous dog and had lunch together. He even brought us some free beers to our loungers on one of the hotter days as he thought we might be a bit thirsty! I have never known such good and genuine service even staying in 5* hotels in Dubai and Koh Samui.

We really felt like honoured guests for the week we were with them and nothing was too much trouble. Vasilis is really a people person and really values his friends, if you want to have a chat and a bit of banter with him whilst you are there you will be glad you did. He told us all about his interesting life, the horrible fires that they had in Samos which led to him losing some of his olive groves and nearly the hotel, as well as some of the places he has visited in England.

The hotel is lovely with a nice pool and pool area. The rooms are absolulety fine for what we needed ours for, and the air conditioning was welcome feature (it was 40 degrees in the shade whilst we were there!) Breakfast changed from day to day and was served by Sofia, Vasilis' mother. It gave a nice start to the day and put us on until we had some delicious greek salad and Mythos in iced glasses from the pool bar at lunchtime.

The resort is quiet but absolutely perfect for a relaxing break. There are plenty of tavernas surrounding the hotel (our favourite was the Blue Bucket - don't be put off by the name, the food is delicious!) and certainly plenty of choice - you could eat at a different place every night for two weeks and not have a bad meal.

The beach is a bit shingly in places but is very clean and the sea is lovely and cool especially when it is boiling hot. We chose not to do much whilst we were there as we were looking to recharge our batteries, but we did have a nice stroll into Ornos fishing village one day (about 25 mins) and wandered around for a bit most mornings before it got too hot to do anything.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing and memorable break. I can now see why people go back year upon year. The hotel is a real gem, made all the more precious by the family who run it. Vasilis is extremely proud of the hotel and has some amazing plans to improve it in the future. Although we are not the kind of couple who revisit places (too many places on our 'to see' list!) I think we might make an exception on this occasion!

1  Thank Mrs_Smith001
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I cannot fault the Hotel Sofia. It is set back slightly from the main road running through Kambos. The rooms are very basic with no self catering facilities, but they came with a fridge we ate out every night. Lovely big pool, plenty of sunbeds, fresh breakfasts each morning. Was a bit worried reading about all the cats around the hotel but they were fine, really didn't bother us. We had a beautiful view of the mountains from our balcony. Didn't need it some nights but air con was 40 euros for a week. Surprisingly we didn't see one mosquito and no problems with bites!

The beach is great for couples and families, plenty of space and wasn't overcrowded in July at all. Can rent sunbeds for a day, but we just took towels and mats (warning - it can get quite windy for these and lilos!!!). Lovely shallow, clear waters.

Tavernas we liked - Nick the Greeks (turn left out of hotel and walk for about 15 mins) and Angelos. If you're hungry, visit Chesters on a Monday for an all you can eat buffet. A week definitely wasn't long enough to try all the tavernas - you are really spoilt for choice.

Things to do - we didn't hire a car so walked everywhere. Turn left out of hotel and walk for about 45 mins to the village of Ormos - beautiful little fishing village, well worth a visit.

Turn right out of hotel and walk about 50 mins + to Psili Ammos, a pretty beach. Was an extremely hot walk along the winding road so wouldn't recommend with children. Fine though if you take plenty of water! Stopped off at Mystic Ocean bar for drinks (think they have a free pool to use).

For Pythagoras' caves, turn right out of hotel, walk out of resort, turn right towards the mountains. Unless you're feeling fit and the day isn't too hot, would definitely recommend a car for this journey, especially if you have young children. We were told it would be about a 40 min walk, but it took us over an hour and we were absolutely exhausted walking upwards in the heat. thankfully there is a small cafe at the foot of the mountain leading to the caves. the steps leading up the caves are extremely steep. about halfway up, there are some orange splodges on the rocks (quite difficult to spot!). these led to a larger cave were Pythagoras supposedly lived. wonderful views from this 1, but the climb was extremely difficult, scrabbling up the side of a mountain!! again wouldn't recommend taking children on this route. the walk back downhill was a lot easier but took a while.

the weather was great, sunny temperatures in the 30s, but we did have a couple of partially cloudy days. these did make conditions a little more bearable for walking though! would definitely recommend this hotel for families and couples looking for a quiet break.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple