“Good place but..”

Ranked #8 of 16 Kissamos B&B and Inns
Padua, Italy
“Good place but..”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went here with my wife for 2 week from 29 sept. to 13 october.
I can say that the location is very good,beautiful,situated in a side of land very quiet,near the best beaches of Western Crete.
First when you arrive,the impression is that is a family place,is like that but attention to give to much confidence ,then you will have some surprises.The owners Caterina and Antonio are good people,especially Caterina that doesn't speak any english but everytime will do her possible for make you happy.Antonio speak a little english,him is good but smart also,him like to make business..
The structure is old,the dishes for the dinner not so cleaned,old glasses,the coffee is terrible ..only water.The tables of the bar are very old and the chairs dirty,the swimming pool is nice ,but the water never cleaned.Before speak about "service"i will choose to somebody to come in Italy and look what about the standard of the service are really..About the room:the cleaning of the room is really far from the other countries,like Italy Spain,Thailand,Europe..They don't know so much what does it means.The window of the balcony never cleaned in 2 weeks we stayed there,the bed never made,only the sheets and the coverlet up to the bed,the balcony never cleaned also,the bed very hard for sleep,i can understand that now is the end of the season.. but the professionality don't know Seasons!!So i can choose this place the same,but don't expected so cleaned rooms and new structure and i choose you to clear everydays the bill to pay for what you use or drink or eat;the answer"tomorrow..tomorrow"doesn't sound good...if you don't want some surprises at the end...Max

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank maxpn74

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just came back from Anavaloussa Apartments at Kissamos and had a great time while we were there. The owners are sweet and helpful, the breakfast delicious, the pool beautiful, and the beach relaxing.

The get to the beach you just cross one tiny road, and the waters are calm and gently. The beach is sandy, but there are also plenty of pebbles around if you're into it.

The hotel is very clean, and there are towel changes every day. The room we stayed at had many stairs which was a little scary at first with a young child but we got used to it pretty quickly. Also the TV is tiny and there were times I wished there was a big flat screen to watch a movie after a long day in the sun.

The hotel is beautifully situated, waking up to view like in a movie. Kissamos is pretty far off from anything touristy, and you really get a good sense of crete and the creten people. The restaurants around a very very good, though you have to drive to pretty much any of them which was a downside since we enjoy drinks with dinner.

We really enjoyed our time and would come back.

It's important to note that although Katrina makes the best cretan salad and spaghetti I had in a long time, it is not often people order food from the owners and you have to be self sufficient, using your kitchenette or driving to a restaurant.

I

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went to Crete at the beginning of September 2012 and stayed in Anavaloussa Apartments for a week. We wanted a nice apartment in a quiet area in Western Crete away from the big tourist centers, which is exactly what we got - perfect!

LOCATION: GREAT! --> 5
The apartment building is surrounded by a very nice, well kept garden. There is a rather big, very clean swimming pool and the beach is just across the road (very quiet, not many cars drive here). The impressive Gramvoussa peninsula with its very bad road and wonderful lagoon are just a stone's throw away.

APARTMENT: NICE BUT FLOOD PROBLEM IN THE BATHROOM --> 3
We had a two storey apartment in the building that was closer to the beach. (There is another one at the back of the garden.)

* Upstairs there is a small kitchen with a few pots and pans, plates, etc, and a bathroom with a shower. Unfortunately, the bathroom is designed in a way that allows the water to run off into the kitchen - the drain is not at the lowest point of the tiled floor, and the floor is slanted towards the door. Very uncomfortable puddles in the kitchen area are the result!

* A few steps lead downstairs to the bedroom with a big double bed and a TV set. The bedroom therefore has very high ceilings which is great for cooling the room temperature without an air con.

SLEEP QUALITY: OKAY --> 3
The beds were alright - quite hard mattresses, luckily not too saggy - but it was really windy, which made it really hard to fall asleep, it was so loud. We guess that's not really the apartment owners' fault though, but the building is quite exposed so that might be one of the reasons why the wind was so loud.

HOW TO GET THERE: --> 3
After driving through Kissamos in the middle of the night we were wondering how on earth we'd find the apartments but fortunately there are many signs pointing the right way! Well done! We still recommend printing out a map beforehand :)

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any public transport going there but we might be mistaken.

SERVICE: NOT LUXURIOUS BUT VERY FRIENDLY --> 4
We booked "bed and breakfast" since we weren't sure how far the nearest supermarket would be located (answer: about 5km, not open on Sundays, but there are a few little shops where fruit, bread etc can be bought). The breakfast was nice (white bread, butter, jam, honey, Nutella, chocolate croissant, toasted bread with ham and cheese, coffee, tea, orange juice) but we got the same for 7 days in a row which was a bit too repetitive. Fruits would have been a lovely change!!

The owners are very friendly; Caterina does not speak much English but communicates with pointing, signalling with her hands and feet, and her happy smile. Antonio speaks a little bit of English.

VALUE FOR MONEY: --> 4
We booked this rather last minute and were very happy with our choice - we hadn't done much research and could definitely have gotten a worse deal.

WOULD WE GO AGAIN?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calendasco, Italy
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Recommended by friends who live locally, the complex is right across from the sandy deserted beach. We arrived late at night and the hire car company ( Kissamos) kindly arranged for the driver to guide us from Chania airport to the door - it might have proved difficult otherwise in the dark.

We went for the latter half of September, the weather was superb, the sea warm, the skies blue.

I had booked a ground floor studio apartment because my husband has slight mobility problems and I was anxious to avoid stairs. On the very day we flew out from Milan I hurt my leg and could hardly walk, so I was initially dismayed when I discovered on arrival that the apartment was split level on THREE levels. I was in agony and just wanted an even playing field......

We loved the complex and the kindness of the owners Antonio and Caterina but because of our "disabilities" we found the layout of the studio flats a pain, though we couldn't fault the contents.

My husband is an architect and admired the canny exploitation of square metres available but I
can't forget the pain going down two flights of stairs with a very dodgy knee just to spend a penny.

If you get a studio at the very back, like we did, the neighbour has a very talkative dog that likes to bark all the time.

I run my own hostel and have a thing about cobwebs and dead insects in ceiling lights. The cleaner was fine regarding general room service/laundry change but the cobweb/light
issue passed unobserved, except by me.

Final gripe, the bed was a twin pushed together but the mattresses were embedded so there was a gap in the middle. Not ideal for a romantic break.

Having said all that, we looked to the positives and there were loads of them : the pool, the prices, the gifts of fresh fruit, the flowers, the filter coffee, the location.

We went to Knossos/Heraklion on a day trip ( top tip, get to Knossos early - we got there for 8am and strolled in - when we came out at 11am the queue was miles long ( literally), and this was the end of September.

We also visted Castelli (Kissamos) and Falassarna. People were courteous, friendly and almost everyone spoke English. We ate out a few times and I am posting reviews for the most memorable.

If I had researched the holiday myself, as I usually do, I would probably have discovered beforehand about the 3 level business, but I was lazy and relieved to have the 'work" done for me. I am including it in the review because other mature couple might find the information useful.

We fell in love with Crete and intend returning there next May, to see the island in bloom. We will definitely consider Anavaloussa Apartments again because they offer excellent value for money.

On the plus side, the patio and view were delightful

Room Tip: I think the apartments closes to the pool might be quieter