“Much improved hotel”

Hotel Conde Rodrigo I
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ciudad Rodrigo
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I last stayed here over 10 years ago and thought that despite its fantastic location that I would not stay here again. I'm glad that I did last week. It is very reasonably priced, has a lovely bar and outside seating. But for me, one of the most prized things that a bedroom can have is an inner door which blanks out the corridor noise. I'll be back. Oh and the breakfast was very good too.

Room Tip: My room was 206 at the end of the corridor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Conde Rodrigo I

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this lovely older style hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We were lucky enough to get a room looking on to the square - it was reasonably sized and although the fittings were a little dated (particularly in the bathroom) everything worked well. WiFi was generally good but a little slow in the morning. The reception staff were friendly, helpful, and spoke English and there was a nice relaxed feel about the place, as there is about the city in general.

The hotel is in a great location next to the cathedral and it's only a 5 minute walk to the plaza mayor. If you are arriving by car, I suggest you set your GPS for Avenida de Yurramendi and do NOT enter the city walls until you are on this road (the road system outside the walls is pretty good so it's not hard to keep circling aound the city walls until you find this road). Once you are on Avenue de Yurramendi, pass through the gate in the city wall and drive straight for about 100 metres and you will come to a small plaza with several trees in the centre - the hotel is on the right side at the far end of the plaza, where you can park temporarily while you check in. There is free tourist parking just back outside the city wall (angle parking on Avenida de Sefarad, near intersection with Avenida de Yurramendi) with about a 5 minute walk back to the hotel. If you don't have GPS, circle outside the city walls and keep an eye out for the little yellow tourist hotel signs which will do a good job of directing you (just be careful not to follow the signs for Hotel Conde Rodrigo II, which is in a very different location from I).

On the meals front, I can recommend Arco bar in Plaza Mayor (not featured in trip advisor) which served a good quality house red and nicely prepared raciones - we enjoyed going there around 7:00pm and eating while the sun set. Two particular recommendations are the peppers stuffed with partridge and the calamari a la romana.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian M
Reviewed April 5, 2013

we stayed in the hotel during one day in the semanta santa weekend, March 2013.
When we opened the window of the room, there was a terrible cooking smell. it turns out that all cooking smells from the kitchen are coming to the area, where a few rooms have windows.
since we discovered this late evening, we decided there is no point in asking to change a room.
the same smell was, of course, on the following morning, when reakfast was served.
after i returned home i emailed the hotel about my experience, and told them they should tell people that there window is facing the kitchen smells.
the answer i got was 'we will ask someone to fix the window'. :-)
and: "On the issue of the smell of cooking, we take note of your appreciation, but is the first time we receive this comment. "
no apology, and especially no promise to correctthis issue, and no promise to warn other customers aboutthis problem.
i told them their reaction is disappointing.

however: the location is great, and the city is very nice!

Room Tip: demand a room with no smell from the kitchen!
Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Other than location, nothing special about the hotel but the restaurant was a very nice surprise. Don't be intimidated by the very upscale decor (I was, but it was very late and I was starving). They had a several prix fixe dinners for 13 Euros including entrées, a carafe of good house wine and desert. Menu in English. An overworked but pleasant waiter.The portions were very large (too large) and the food was good. I didn't have dinner anywhere else, so maybe there are better places but I was pleased. There is public parking (metered but cheap) just outside the walls, less than a ten minute walk to the hotel. I tried to use a GPS to locate the hotel, bad idea. It would have had me drive thru plaza cafes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David O
Reviewed September 29, 2012

...And at a really good price (sub 60euro for a double)! It's a very old building, but the rooms are surprisingly up to date with TV etc etc.... The staff very friendly.
Place is 30km from the Portugese boarder in a v. old walled city. Old cathedral next to hotel.

Room Tip: On road side, birds may be noisy if window open.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here in 2000 on the way to Lisbon. This time driving around Spain we decided to stay here for 3 nights. The hotel is still very good value and as before clean and comfortable rooms, not the biggest but very aceptable, bathroom had an excellent shower, powerful and always very hot water. Good location, short walk to the Cathederal and walls. I really like the bars around Plaza Mayor. Hotel staff are very helpful,one member of staff traveled in the car to show where the hotels secure parking was! The bar at the hotel has been modernised since we were there last and serves pretty good cocktails! Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is a lovely hotel within the walls of Cuidad Rodrigo (which is an amazing place). Our bedroom was impressive with a huge mirror. We had a front room with small balcony. It had all the mod cons necessary but still maintained the charm of days gone by. Breakfast was amazing with lots of options to choose from. Highly recommended. We'd go back there again.

Room Tip: Front facing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hospederia Audiencia Real
Hospederia Audiencia Real
#2 of 6 in Ciudad Rodrigo
Hotel Domus Real Fuerte de la Concepcion
Hotel Domus Real Fuerte de la Co...
#1 of 1 in Aldea del Obispo
Abadia de Los Templarios
Abadia de Los Templarios
#1 of 2 in La Alberca

Been to Hotel Conde Rodrigo I? Share your experiences!