There was nothing wrong with the lodging or the food but the owner Diego made inappropriate remarks that made me feel really uncomfortable, which is a shame b/c his adopted son Hugo was so nice. Hugo came to pick my boyfriend and me up from the El Chepe train station straight to the hotel and was super friendly the whole way. He mentioned that Doug would be the one offering the tour to Copper Canyon instead of him. As we settled into our rooms we got a prompt knock on our door for some welcome drinks from Doug and decided to take him up for it due to the warm intro we got from Hugo. He was friendly but there were times he made some comments about my appearance and my ethnic background that seemed to be pushing it. I questioned my sensitivity on this but after having discussed with my boyfriend, he noticed it as well. So we decided the next day to walk to the town center in Cerocahui in search of a different tour guide to Copper Canyon rather than Doug. When we got there we had a drink at Hotel Mision and noticed that there were a lot more guests at this hotel and the service seemed pretty good. We also had lunch at Hotel Jade which is very close to Hotel Mision and noticed a lot of content customers there too. The lady who owned the place was great and the homemade food was good. She helped us get a tourguide for the next morning. We also booked our next night with her at Hotel Jade since we had to checkout of Paraiso del Oso first thing in the morning. When we arrived back to Paraiso del Oso for dinner Doug already knew that we booked another tour guide. Again, he made some more uncomfortable remarks about me and at that point I was looking forward to checking out. He did however offer to drive into town the next morning only to convince us along the way to simply go touring with him. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that car.
It took me a while to write this review but as I have been touring the rest of Mexico and central America for the past 9 weeks, I've gained some perspective on other hotels that we stayed at. My experience with Doug was the worst I've had on this trip so far and is unacceptable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a beautiful and tranquil Huetoibo valle, 10 mnutes from Cerocahui, the Paraiso del Oso welcomes Copper Canyon visitors with great meals, a welcome Margarita and personalized service.There are neither telephones nor television to disturb your enjoyment of this magical place, instead you awaken to songs of wild birds and the view of the Yogi Bear look-alike rock formation overlooking the Hotel.Horse rides and nature hikes are available to Tarahumara cave archaeological sites, the Sangre de Cristo gold mine, and a nearby waterfall. Sightseeing vans offer tours to the Cerro Gallegos Canyon overlook and to the historic pueblo of Urique at the very bottom of the Canyon. All meals, free wireless Internet, and transfers from the Bahuichivo train station are included in your stay. The Paraiso del Oso has an extensive public service program that helps Tarahumara students and education in the region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Paraiso del Oso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paraiso Del Oso Cerocahui
- Paraiso Del Oso Hotel
- Hotel Paraiso Del Oso Cerocahui, Mexico - Chihuahua