“Lovely evening with the locals”
Review of Calicanto Cafe Cultural - CLOSED

Calicanto Cafe Cultural
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Description: I already asked about a month ago to write an opinion on Calicanto and nevcer got a response.
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had such a great evening!
Although there was hardly anyone when we arrived around 7pm on a Friday evening, we decided to sit down on the attractive terrace. Just after ordering dinner, which tasted good, a couple of locals started preparing for their performance. Apparently, every Friday and Saturday are filled with small concerts by locals, and every other day of the week with music, book readings, workshops, etc. Most singers had beautiful voices which we enjoyed much! Some of the locals started a conversation in Spanish with me and were eager to share their fruits, home made sweets and stories.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This restaurant has excellent traditional Chihuahua food and the ambiance is amazing. In the evenings they have live trova music. While I was there, I heard a lady who has an amazing voice and then a group of Andes music. Arrive early to get space outside because the drinks, food, and music are so good that once someone gets a table they stay there for a long time so it's difficult for new spots to be opened. I really wish I could come back often to sample more of the menu because with so many delicious options it's hard to choose. The inside of the restaurant is also very nice, with neat decor although it's best outside when there's music.
I also have to add that being vegetarian they were great at accommodating my requests and they were extremely kind in helping me figure out what I could and couldn't eat. Great service.

2  Thank KNDC3
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Chihuahua is a beautiful city and has special places to visit like Calicanto cafe, we enjoyed the live music performed by Carlos and Jesus. Very friendly environment!

1  Thank maru_qm
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Unlike other places that are far more expensive, this is the real thing!!!

You will get regional specialties here and nicely cooked and presented. There's often live music too!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Every area in Mexico has developed their own type of cuisine over the years. This particular restaurant specializes in strictly Chihuahuan cuisine. When I say that they wrote the book on Chihuahuan cuisine I mean that they literally wrote the book; "Cocina Regional de Chuhuahua". Oh yeah for cheap thrills the guy there that looks like Don Quixote is Jesus Vargas. He's one of the top five experts on Poncho Villa in the world and can be seen on PBS's The Storm that Swept Mexico.

3  Thank RayHollabaugh