All reviewsflamenco singerthe ownerquaint hotelstayed here for one nightprivate terracedining roomhot springshamfresh fruitgreat hospitalityquiet streethelpful hostsexcellent coffeeold buildinggreat terracesix nightsother guests
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed in La Sequiriya for a week in May 2012 for some cycling and walking organised via www.alhambrarambler.com. Staying in Alhama de Granada, and La Seguiria was a wonderful experience. Paco and Lola were very welcoming, and although Paco doesn't speak any English, he was still one of the most charismatic and amusing guys I've ever met! The hotel was lovely and clean, had its own character, and our room faced onto the terrace with the most fabulous views of the gorge. The food was great in the hotel, with a small but really tasty selection of dishes, and some fantastic wines. There isn't a lot of choice of food or wine - breakfast is very much get what you are given - but trust Paco and Lola and you'll eat some of the most fantastic food in Spain. The hotel is just up from the main square, and there are some great bars, all of which serve fantastic tapas with drinks. Bar O'Hana was good, and there are other bars and restaurants - mostly owned by Paco's brothers, cousins, nephews.... etc. We had a great stay, accompanied by some great bike rides and walking. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing onto the terrace for an excellent view of the gorge
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this delightful inn- and could not recommend it more. Paco and Lola are special people who will warm your heart. As you have already gleaned, this inn is unique- far up and winding road (be prepared to be careful on a somewhat windy beautiful drive with lots of downshifting). Once there, you get to experience a true Spanish village. Not sure I would recommend eating anywhere but at the inn - as Lola’s meal and Paco’s service were the best we had in all of Spain. I can’t stop dreaming about their sautéed chicken and pork dishes with brandied fruits and cream sauce. Our one regret is the kitchen was closed on Sunday night!

The inn itself is part cave, and part building. We stayed in the family room, which was very economical for our family of four. Downside was the open bathroom within- but Paco and Lola fixed that by letting me (mom) use another room’s bathroom, and ultimately adding a curtain to the bathroom. My son’s hiked to the hot springs- and listed this as a highlight to their Spain trip. My husband and I hiked another direction, which was equally beautiful. It makes one ponder the simplicity of life there- but also that which we have and take for granted.

Also- by now you understand this is NOT Granada. We drove to the inn one day- then drove to Grenada the next day and doubled back. That was dumb- we should have stayed both days in Alhamba- and on our way out seen the Alhambra. Make sure you have a GPS- dumb us again- we sorely missed having that the entire vacation in Spain. A quick story- due to jet lag and a silly mistake, we left one suitcase at our last town several hours away. Lola helped us tirelessly for hours get it shipped successfully to our Madrid location. I seriously think we would never have seen that bag without her help…

I think it is important to stay at the Hotel La Seguiriya with the understanding that this is not a luxury resort or hotel, but more akin to a charming rural Spanish B&B (by understanding this will prevent misunderstandings). There is no air conditioning – and like all of Spain, no screens on windows. But this inn has everything you need - wifi, a computer for all to use, books to borrow, a beautiful balcony/terrace area, delicious vino fresco, wonderful food, yummy included breakfast, the Spanish experience - and the warm loving care of a remarkable couple. Book without reservation- and enjoy your stay (give Paco and Lola a hug for us.)

Room Tip: This is a VERY SMALL Inn- just grab the best room available and enjoy yourself.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MMBINNJ4
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is a phenomenal little place to stay at, located in the cute little town of Alhamba de Granada. It is a little hard to get to from the main express way and the GPS will almost always get it wrong. Make sure to look at it on the map cause it is well over 40km inland. But other than just the general directions. This really is a great place run by a wonderful family. Very inviting and caring. The rooms are also comfortable.

Now there are two sides to this coin as well. One is that if you are a nature lover and want to spend some time away from everything and want to go on hikes and trails this is a great place but if you are thinking of visiting other towns which is what we mostly did, the drive to the highway will be time consuming yet serene and beautiful. That would be my biggest deciding factor. Other than that there are couple of things to see in terms of churches and squares but its the old town feel that we kinda want to get lost in and take in at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

When I booked this hotel I got mixed up with Granada and the Alhambra - thought I was booking right in Granada. How wrong I was but how lucky I was. We loved our stay for 2 nights at this hotel with its charming host - full of energy and no English but we communicated easily. Wonderfully accommodating. Great room with little window onto balcony. But I guess the best aspect of this hotel is its terrace overlooking the amazing gorge with wonderful sunset colours to enjoy with the host's wine. Parking is a challenge - but that is life in a small village on a cliff edge!

Room Tip: I think they all looked excellent
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed here as a family (2 adults, 2 small children) for 4 nights in Easter week 2012. Paco (a former flamenco performer) and his wife Lola could not have been better hosts. They have restored the building with taste and love and it is very special. Our room was perfect for the four of us and was comformatable and cosy. The terrace was lovely and must be truly amazing in the summer.

The restaurant is also recommendable.

If you are in the area, stay at La Seguiriya!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family