“Take a trip on the backwaters”

Amphawa Floating Market
$99.68*
Colors of Damnoen Saduak from Bangkok
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Amphawa
Reviewed November 22, 2012

If you can arrange for a boat trip around the backwaters...really peaceful and pretty. There is another (non-floating) market nearby that should also be explored if you are in the area and have the time!

1  Thank Neesieb01
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

There is something precious note I would like to share with everyone about the amphawa journey. I manage to book a mini van to the amphawa for 1800 baht (2-way flow). So that day we board the mini van to the amphawa and after 2 hours we saw a big banner written something like welcome to the floating market and I thought that finally we reached the place but is not at all.

Upon arrived, there is a friendly guy approach us and ask do you want to visit the toilet first. On the way to the toilet, my friend ask me where is the floating market how come there are nothing at all. That truth, I only saw road, car, forest and no floating market. So after the toilet break, that guy offer us a seat and telling us the package of the boat from here to the floating market and blah blah blah. Straight away I ask him, how much is per person. Guess what!? 2000 baht per person! This is terrible and horrible, he's trying to cheat tourist money. I got a shock at that moment, I said to him so expensive and he trying to cover the negative side of it and telling us the grandmother story and I told him I want to speak to my driver and he said go ahead.

So I walk back and look for my driver and told him this is to expensive, no way I will take the boat ride, can u drive me directly to the floating market. That guy trying to bluff me and said there are no ways to reach there by car, you must take our boat to reach the floating market. I said no, I read up on the web there are people reach there without any boat riding at all. Again, he said no, the information you got is incorrect. I told him don't you trying to bluff me and than immediately he change the story. He said, it will be difficult for your driver to wait for you over there because parking are not allow at amphawa but here is different, if you take our boat ride your driver can park the car over here and wait for your return. A full of crap, he's keep trying to cover up the lied.

That guy did not give up and ask me how much u can offer, so I was thinking a while and said 500 baht and his face turn exaggerated with a no, not possible. We keep negotiate the price but he refuse to offer at 500 baht and keep pester me to take the boat ride. I just refuse and telling him very firmly that I'm only able to afford at 500 baht if not I will not take the boat ride.

*Luckily I met a good driver, he did not pursue me to take the boat ride and keep a smiling face and said it's alright. Let's get back to the van.

So we return back to the van and he refuse to leave and keep pester me again and again, I got so angry and told him please I don't want to waste your time (actually is my time but I don't want to offend him) and let us go. Than he said okay I offer the price at 700 baht and again I refuse and told me I will only give at 500 baht, no more than that and I turn my face around and do not want to talk to him anymore. He started getting frustrated too and he knew I not going to give in and finally he give up and close the door. FINALLY! So my driver drive us directly to the amphawa floating market, it can be reach without any boat ride at all. So people please be careful with all this con man, don't give in so easily and I glad that I even save up my 500 baht.

After alight the place, my driver gave us his name card and told us to give him a call after we are done. So we walk around the places, taking photo and buy street food. While walking to the end, I saw one boat service store, I was curious how much is the ride, I ask the man is this boat going to see the firefly and he said yes so I ask how much. Guess........... only 60 baht per person for 1hr.

The actual ride took about 1hr 45min. The boat rider really generous to spend the time longer for us to see the firefly, he will slow down the ride and let us enjoy viewing the firefly while some other boat rider speed super fast and gone with a blink. This is super worth it, my first time see real firefly in a natural environment and is pretty close to us. I really thanks GOD that I didn't took that con boat ride.

Hope this help u guys who are going to the amphawa floating market too.

28  Thank ac c
Reviewed November 6, 2012

You can make a day trip from Bangkok to both Maeklong Railway Market and Amphawa Floating Market together. Can try to rent a car with driver, share it among a 3-4person and will be cost effective.

This is a more genuine market visited by the locals. No touts hassling you to buy stuff. You don't really get into the boats, just walking along the riverside with quaint stalls is an experience in itself.

Have a simple seafood meal and enjoy "afresco dining" the local way. You sit on the benches, and steps while they cook your meal on the boat and bring it to you.

Operates on weekends - Fri to Sun, from the afternoon to evening. The busiest timing is from 4pm onwards.

Read more on

4  Thank KeiGal
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Actually it is not a floating market; it's a market at the river. There is no dealing and selling business on the river. They cook on the boats; you eat it on the narrow way on both sides. For the typically floating business pictures you better visit Damnoen Saduak Floating Market early in the morning. 5 minutes away from Amphawa is the very nice Meklong Station train-market. Very cheap handmade products available at Amphawa! Private taxi to this area for full day is 1500 BAT. No tourists there; so it's a must. Only on weekends open!

5  Thank Christian C
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We took a taxi from Central World to Amphawa Floating Market cost 1500 baht (for 2 ways)
Trip will take about 2hrs out from Central Bangkok, including traffic.

We embark a longtail boat. the boat bring us explored and wandered around the rivermarket and each paid 600 baht for a 1.5 hrs fun ride (total 5 of us in one boat)

Towards the canal, you will find many boats are selling clothing, handmade stuff,
fresh products… Fruits, Food, Plants, Flowers and etc.. ..

It was a good experience and we didn't have any problems.

A very relaxing river tour and a great opportunity too for us to experience the life on a floating market among the locals.

4  Thank neeneelalala