“Take the Time for a Walk with Tony”

Heart of Burren Walks
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Kilfenora
Trabuco Canyon
“Take the Time for a Walk with Tony”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My family (husband, 2 daughters in their 20's) and I were privileged to experience a walk in the Burren with Tony Kirby, which we booked based on previous reviews on TripAdvisor. I was expecting a lot from the walk and wasn't disappointed. The two hour private walk flew by--it seemed like ten minutes. Tony's knowledge of the plant life appears to be inexhaustible--he even was able to identify plants I asked him about that I'd seen in other parts of Ireland. In our walk, we focused on a very interesting part of the Burren where the woodland morphs into a meadow and then into a lough or lake--an unexpected variety of habitats all with unique features. It only whetted our appetite to see more of the Burren and in different seasons. Such a beautiful, fascinating place! An added plus that other reviewers have mentioned is Tony's recitation of Irish poetry. We were here introduced to the vivid, moving work of Seamus Heaney, Ireland's poet laureate, who soon after our trip passed away. It was interesting to read about the world's reaction to Heaney's demise which was only meaningful to us because of Tony's influence. Tony Kirby is a person of intellectual curiosity and far-ranging interests, as quickly becomes evident on his walks. I would highly recommend taking the time for a close-up of stunning west Ireland with Tony Kirby--it truly adds a whole other dimension to a trip of this wonderful country.

Visited August 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Educating the Natives”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

As one of Ireland's new generation of young emigrants, I had the pleasure of taking Tony's tour of the Burren with my mother during a recent trip home in July. It was the highlight of our visit to the west of Ireland, as Tony's extensive knowledge of this unique region of the country was at once impressive, entertaining and inspirational. While educating us about the the history, geology and ecological subsystems of the area, he also regaled us with pieces of moving poetry and vibrant folklore. His profound passion for this place is evident, and it inspired in me even greater pride and love for my beautiful homeland as I returned there to visit. I cannot recommend this tour highly enough and it is surely a must-see for any visitor to the stunning west of Ireland.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank ElaineLooney
“Burren Walk with Tony Kirby”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It was great visiting the Burren with Tony Kirby. Tony is really enthusiastic, his knowledge of the Burren's history is BIG and he explains everything in a way that it never gets boring and you just don't want to miss out on anything that he says!

Sacramento, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Treasure of a Walk”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

After visiting the Burren Center (good exhibits and lunch room), we joined Tony Kirby on a walk of the Burren where he share his extensive knowledge of the geology, ecology, flora, and fauna of the Burren, a unique and fascinating part of Ireland. Tony further enhanced our walk with related poetry recitations. This walk is not to be missed!

Northampton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing tour of the Burren with Tony Kirby”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My friends and I were fortunate to have found Tony and his Heart of Burren Walks. The information he imparted illuminated the rest of our trip to Ireland, since we learned so much about the ecology, geology, and human history of the Burren. Tony showed us ancient sites and explained their significance, bringing history to life. He managed to be both knowledgeable and entertaining, and the afternoon flew by. Our time on this walk was one of the highlights of our trip to the west of Ireland.