“Not to be missed!”

Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Kilfenora
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My 10 year old son and I had the great privilege of booking a walking tour with Tony--it was certainly a highlight of our visit to Clare, if not indeed Ireland. Tony's wealth of knowledge and utter passion for every aspect of the Burren could not be contained. The Burren...truly magical and Tony is one of its true gems.

Visited December 2012

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Holy Wells and Snail Shells”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went on a walk with Tony last weekend. A five hour hike, which seemed quite a long time walking when planning the trip, flew by in the company of a terrifically engaging host. Tony's intimate knowledge of the area - topographical, historical, social, cultural and even mystical, was immense and impressive. He perfectly judged his audience in terms of interaction, level of detail, and knowing when to leave the landscape do the talking. It's a unique and breathtaking environment. The walk was a privilege for all of us. If you are near and have the time, you will not be disappointed.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank JPOMalley
Cahir, Ireland
“A walk in the Burren with Tony Kirby”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This August three generations of my family took a walk in the Burren with Tony Kirby. We had a wonderful walk. It took about three hours. The weather was wonderful, the scenery beautiful, had great company and a wonderful guide. Tony told us about the history and the geography of the Burren and recited some poetry along the way. I would recommend Tony's walk to anybody who is visiting the Burren region as you will learn a lot about the area while at the same time getting some exercise.

Visited August 2012
Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A memorable experience”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you are going to this region of Ireland, this is an experience that you should not miss. Tony has a depth and breadth of knowledge that is exceptional. His ability to communicate his passion for the area was impressive. He shared his knowledge, told amazing stories, recited moving poetry and conveyed his ecological concerns with great ability. My wife is a gardener, and she really appreciated learning so much about the plants and e ology of the region. Don't miss this experience.

Visited September 2012
Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“insightful and beautiful”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'd heard great things about Tony's walks from others on Trip Advisor, so since I knew I'd be there after his regular tour season, I booked a personal one for myself and a friend. He offered to advertise it on his site, so that others might join us and knock down the price a bit. We agreed, and one other woman joined us. It was a windy, cold day, and at times we thought we'd get blown over! But of course the weather changed, and by the end of it we had sunshine.

What a great 3 hours to spend with someone who's researched so much about the Burren. Tony took us on a hermitage walk of Saint Colman Mac Duagh, and we learned far more than if we'd walked the simpler, marked route that others were taking. He identified various plants and talked about the ecosystem of the area. Every question was welcome, and I appreciated how he opened my eyes to what I would othewise have walked right past. I loved the changing ground underfoot, and the changing vegetation.

Soon we were out of the vast limestone stark beauty and into the wooded hermitage itself, watching ribbons flap in the breeze on the rag treees, next to the holy well.

I highly recommend taking a tour of the Burren with Tony Kirby, so that you don't risk simply walking or driving by a unique area with so much to offer. As others have said, he truly brings it to life — and not only the geography but also its place in Irish history.

Visited September 2012