“Holy Wells and Snail Shells”

Heart of Burren Walks
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Kilfenora
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went on a walk with Tony last weekend. A five hour hike, which seemed quite a long time walking when planning the trip, flew by in the company of a terrifically engaging host. Tony's intimate knowledge of the area - topographical, historical, social, cultural and even mystical, was immense and impressive. He perfectly judged his audience in terms of interaction, level of detail, and knowing when to leave the landscape do the talking. It's a unique and breathtaking environment. The walk was a privilege for all of us. If you are near and have the time, you will not be disappointed.

2  Thank JPOMalley
"hour walk"
"limestone pavement"
"small group"

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This August three generations of my family took a walk in the Burren with Tony Kirby. We had a wonderful walk. It took about three hours. The weather was wonderful, the scenery beautiful, had great company and a wonderful guide. Tony told us about the history and the geography of the Burren and recited some poetry along the way. I would recommend Tony's walk to anybody who is visiting the Burren region as you will learn a lot about the area while at the same time getting some exercise.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you are going to this region of Ireland, this is an experience that you should not miss. Tony has a depth and breadth of knowledge that is exceptional. His ability to communicate his passion for the area was impressive. He shared his knowledge, told amazing stories, recited moving poetry and conveyed his ecological concerns with great ability. My wife is a gardener, and she really appreciated learning so much about the plants and e ology of the region. Don't miss this experience.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'd heard great things about Tony's walks from others on Trip Advisor, so since I knew I'd be there after his regular tour season, I booked a personal one for myself and a friend. He offered to advertise it on his site, so that others might join us and knock down the price a bit. We agreed, and one other woman joined us. It was a windy, cold day, and at times we thought we'd get blown over! But of course the weather changed, and by the end of it we had sunshine.

What a great 3 hours to spend with someone who's researched so much about the Burren. Tony took us on a hermitage walk of Saint Colman Mac Duagh, and we learned far more than if we'd walked the simpler, marked route that others were taking. He identified various plants and talked about the ecosystem of the area. Every question was welcome, and I appreciated how he opened my eyes to what I would othewise have walked right past. I loved the changing ground underfoot, and the changing vegetation.

Soon we were out of the vast limestone stark beauty and into the wooded hermitage itself, watching ribbons flap in the breeze on the rag treees, next to the holy well.

I highly recommend taking a tour of the Burren with Tony Kirby, so that you don't risk simply walking or driving by a unique area with so much to offer. As others have said, he truly brings it to life — and not only the geography but also its place in Irish history.