“Is a great little cafe”
Review of Savannah on Swan

Savannah on Swan
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Morpeth
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

One of the better cafés in morpeth, I really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony, the food was exceptional and the staff friendly and welcoming

2  Thank Claire B
There are newer reviews for Savannah on Swan

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Four of us were outside the restaurant yesterday debating whether to have a light lunch when a party of three came out. Asking them their views they replied "best spot in town".

We had one of the last tables inside - there was the odd spare table on the veranda but it was a cold day. We were attended to very quickly and the coffees were supplied in double quick time. The mains were delightful and tasty: two tempura prawns, whiting and smoked salmon wrap all served with salad and most with chips.

1  Thank gdas2013
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Decent coffee. The open steak sandwich was done well (no option for medium rare etc) and chips slightly overdone. Cakes we average. Over priced geared towards tourists however won points on being dog friendly.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This place is housed in an old stone building from the 1800s. It is one of many such buildings in Morpeth which was once one of Australia's more active ports.

It has a veranda at the back which might have had a nice view of the river but we were sat inside.

The food was okay. My wife had a grilled chicken and pear salad which was fine. The dressing was particularly interesting but at just under $20.00, you would want it to be. I had the fish and chips on the menu which was one piece of fish which looked like it might have come from the supermarket and some fairly ordinary chips at around $17.50.

We were not in a hurry so did not mind the slow service.

Across the street in the Morpeth Museum which has an interesting film of the Maitland floods and a slide show of photos from the 1800s and photos today of the same site. Happily many of the buildings are still standing and are looking in very good condition.

The Commercial Hotel on the other corner produces its own beer and, though a pub, seem to attract lots of people for lunch.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

My partner and I dropped in for Brunch on a Sunday, it is something of a joy for us to try out all the new places in the Hunter Valley as we are new to the area and have been advised that Morpeth has some beautiful eateries and this particular venue is very pretty.

The place was very full, which to us is a great sign generally so we asked to be seated and were promptly sat (almost on the laps of the people next to us) at the only spot left. (To be fair, it was very windy and cold outside so I am assuming they were making the best of their space inside, however there is such a thing as stopping at capacity) As it was cold we ordered a coffee and waited a minimum of 10 minutes for it. Understandably they were very busy however I still feel that is a long time for a coffee.

While we were waiting we ordered our breakfast; poached Eggs with spinach, bacon and some maple syrup & Herbed Scrambled eggs with sardines and tomatoes.

During our waiting time for our breakfast we shooed away flies and watched one table of 3 leave for having to wait too long for their breakfast, not a good sign.

When our breakfast did arrive, my 'poached eggs' were like rocks - I actually picked out the yolk and left it aside. I'm pretty sure they could be used as bullets. My 'spinach side' was just cold spinach leaves popped on top of toast and the bacon - which they forgot was WELL over done and I got the bits from the bottom of the pan.

Our other meal, 'herb scrambled eggs' were in fact, over cooked scrambled eggs with cracked pepper (about a tonne, sadly he doesn't like pepper) and some of that, what I can only describe as, Masterfoods dried thyme or Italian herbs. The tomatoes were over cooked, and the sardines were canned, still had the gooey bits and spine in them. Not nice at all.

I do feel bad for the staff, the manager on the day should have known better than to over pack the restaurant and do the kitchen a disservice by sending in meals they clearly could not keep up with. I have no idea what the standard of meals are like on a good day, but I will not be going back to find out. Not to mention it was $50 for two breakfasts and two drinks - dismal.

1  Thank Nickobelle