“Very relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lovedale
Llangadog, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

When we first arrived the receptionist was not very happy, but after that every thing improved.
A very nice room with a balcony, very good room service , said 25 to 30 mins but took only 10.
The bar next to the main reception does a wicked iced coffee.
The breakfast buffet was excellent with very helpful staff.
Swimming pool was gorgeous and very welcome after a days wine tasting.
If your in the Hunter Valley overnight this is The place for a very comfortable stop.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thanks mikeV317 for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your positive comments and apologise that reception let down your first impression. We have addressed this with the team and thank you for letting us know.

Great to hear your positive feedback regarding breakfast, the pool and our helpful staff.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and we hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

David Bark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Wellington
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed here with friends in a two bedroom villa for 5 nights for a wedding and just wow!!

The Crowne is pretty much it's own little village. There was so much to do such as pool table & ping pong tables outside, lovely swimming pool, a grassy area with bean bags scattered around and little soccer goals, and it even has it's own golf course!

The staff and even other guests were very friendly and helpful.

Our villa was perfect and tastefully decorated. It was a lot larger than I expected, but also only spread over one floor (as we assumed it was 2 storey).
Both bedrooms had their own air conditioners and super king beds with the most comfortable pillows!
We had friendly staff offer room service each day and they always generously topped up towels, coffee etc.

I didn't eat at their restaurant, but noticed the prices were very steep and friends mentioned the food wasn't really worth the money they'd paid!

The area surrounding the Crowne was stunning! So many wineries and café's's/restaurants all a small drive away.

Overall I honestly cannot think of any faults in our stay here. It was amazing, relaxing and so surreal, we really didn't want to go home!

I would definitely recommend The Crowne to anyone, and hopefully we get a chance to stay again!

Room Tip: The villas!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you Katie Z for your comments from your recent stay with us.

Its such a pleasure to read that our guests cannot fault us and wish to reutrn.

Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff and I will be sure to pass your kind words on to staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another amazing stay and maybe next time you can try our Redsalt Restaurant or our exciting new Lovedale which we have just opened.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Singapore
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe room with 2 double beds. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. Location is great and parking is free. On arrival, a middle-aged gentleman assisted us with our bags, and then brought them to our room after we had checked in. He later assisted us with making dinner reservations and recommendations. We saw him off and on the three days we were there and he always had a smile and made time for a quick chat. I'm sorry I forgot his name but he was EXCELLENT! Our check in and check out were quick and hassle free, although reception could be more friendly and warm instead of just going through the motions. Room service arrived on time and the breakfast we ordered was really good. We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi shouen

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team and also Colin who I am certain would have assisted you with your bags. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Taree, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had a 3 bedroom villa and the apartment could not be faulted in any way. Hotel facilities were excellent especially the pool. Bar and food were overpriced . Some of the staff at the reception were not attentive at check in whilst talking amongst themselves leaving one staff to serve which was disappointing. Can only praise other staff the support they gave to our daughter on her wedding day. Love to come back to relax and enjoy

Hi Les G

Thanks for your great review. I hope the wedding was a wonderful succes.

Very pleased to hear that you love the Hunter Valley and we look forward to welcoming you back for a 'relaxing' satay when you are next visiting the Hunter Valley.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Have stayed here for many Mining Conferences over the years, the latest being this years Longwall Conference and three other occasions (in 2013) and decided to treat the family to a couple of days in the vineyards.
Upon arriving at check in you would have thought that they wee all hungover. No smiles, tediously slow service and as a matter of fact the whole show looked as though they were in slow motion with no sense of urgency.
The room was ok but nothing great with people in front offered upgrades for their first stay with nothing offered to returning guests. They would be better off saying nothing or at least offering the upgrade in private as it does nothing to make returning guests happy or wanting to come back, even for conferences.
In terms of employee service I had more assistance from Steve the Gardner who came to my assistance when I dropped some of my equipment than any of the front desk staff.
Brett (Mr GM) you need to initiate the pineapple pull through for your incredibly rude, non customer service focussed front desk staff.
Also you need to fix the wifi as it is impossible for business people to actually do their work with the current wifi system that is made available to guests.
Guys you need to do much much better!!!

Room Tip: Tell them this is your first time no doubt you will get an upgrade
1 Thank 373RESQ
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Hi 373RESQ

Thank you for your review from your recent stay with Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley.

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like you had a less then pleasant stay with us. I apologies that the service your received from our front desk staff was less than satisfactory. As we take all reviews both positive and negative very seriously and on board, we are now building a new team in the front office and reception areas around our new new front office manager.

The wifi is hard wired and happy to report is now at NBN speed and we are now working through an infrastructure upgrade for our wireless network to work with our new high speed broadband connection.

Again, apologies that your stay fell below your expectations and we hope to offer you a more pleasant stay in the future to show you how great we are.

Thanks and kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The experience at this property was disappointing from start to finish. If you arrive during the week, good luck finding a staff member to be of any assistance and if you do there is absolutely no understanding of hospitality, clearly no training and zero attention to detail. Don't bother with the ones at reception they actually don't even have the correct information. I had a query about room service at check-in, it took the guy three phone calls to gain the correct information which I discovered the next morning was still incorrect. I stayed in a Villa and arrived on my own with a young child and was offered no assistance with bags, dragging her on countless trips to and from the car to unload. I received some flowers which a lady brought to the villa and left on the table, not offering to return with a vase, ten minutes later I discovered water had spilled form these flowers all over the place as she had laid them at an angle and had water in the plastic. I booked this hotel for the kids club, supposed great playground and train. The kids club and playground were under construction and the train was broken the entire three and a half days we were there. I was only informed on booking that the kids club may be under renovation and would be moved somewhere else. Well that somewhere else was a tiny claustrophobic room which my child went to once and never wanted to return to. Additionally she spent the most part of her time in kids club watching a movie, despite the weather being perfect outside. The pool which does look great, was so cold that most of the children spent the entire time in the spa, so by the third day the spa was looking more like a swamp. When I finally tracked down a maintenance person and asked if the spa was adequately chlorinated each day he agreed that it was looking rather unsightly and said he didn’t know so he would check. Not very comforting. One family was putting a very young baby in there which could have caused that child to get sick. During the week there is no service by the pool and on the weekend very little, you order lunch like you're at some pub and get given a buzzer so you have to go back and collect it. On a kids menu they put a chicken breast so when I asked for that chicken breast to be on a sandwich, it went back and forth until eventually they agreed but the next day when I ordered the same the chef refused saying they don’t change the menu and only when I explained that it was done for me a day before did he begrudgingly make it again with a shocking attitude. Yes this, at a hotel on a holiday, is an absolute disgrace. They have one size for milkshakes, giant! so if you order your child a milkshake beware it’s big enough to satisfy three of them, they don’t offer you smaller cups for small kids and again this from a hotel that pitches itself as family friendly. The gym was yet another disappointment. It was filthy and there were no cups in the water machine so when I went to get one, they gave me one but never called for anyone to go and stock it. I really don’t believe the staff have had any hospitality training. There was no remote control for the TV's in the gym, when someone eventually came to help me they could only get one of the multiple TVs to work. You cannot get a coffee in your room until after 11am (as I said like a motel you will have to drink instant) or get-up and go to breakfast even if you just want a coffee and there are no cocktails in your room either or fresh juices at all. The cocktails you can order by the pool are also extremely limited and if you ask for something not on the list they have no idea how to make it. When I booked this hotel I asked if there would be any big events that were on that weekend as I was travelling with a small child and didn’t want to be up all hours due to noise. I was told no but again that was incorrect, there was a wedding on the Saturday night right near our villa with a DJ blasting music until 11.30pm. I could go on and on. but you get my point, great if you are looking to stay at a motel and do everything for yourself, awful if you are actually wanting a holiday at a hotel. Good points the Villas are a good size and appeared nice and clean, the massage and experience in the day spa was pleasant.

2 Thank Ca M
Hi Ca M

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us about your recent stay at our resort.

I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would like the opportunity to regain your faith in Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail.

If you could contact me direct on david.bark@ihg.com and supply me with your best contact number as I would like to obtain additional information regarding your stay.

Once again, apologies that your stay was less then satisfactory.

Sutherland Shire, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were 5 families staying in the 2 bedroom villas. We were only here for 1 night but from the staff here to the clean rooms to the perfect location we were extremely impressed. Stunning property. We ventured up to see the Christmas lights at hunter valley gardens and our 24 hours felt so much longer. We are already talking of heading back up for 3 nights next year.. I have never been to the Hunter in summer, with 13 children amongst us we spent all afternoon by the pool enjoying this beautiful resort. The only negative I have is my friends little boy, 2yrs old rolled off the bed and put his head through the window( fortunately A tiny scratch but could of been so much worse) and she had to pay $400 for new glass. This was a bit rich and I feel, the glass should on the lower panels from the floor up be double glazed...Other than this we all loved it so much.

Room Tip: Villa rooms are so roomy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hi Rennie74

Thank you for you review.

Firstly, I hope your friends 2 year old little boy is ok as I would imagine this would have been quiet scary for him and his parents.

Great to hear that you were impressed with the location and the cleanliness. Its always great to hear such positive reviews and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 3 night stay next year.

Once again, thank ou for your review.

David Bark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lovedale
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#10 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!