“5 star prices, 2.5 star service”

Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lovedale
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My review from 1 year ago still applies. It's a very nice place, but the staff just don't get it.

We stayed 4 nights in a villa with 4 children. Housekeeping did not sweep the floor in the kitchen area once. Light globe burnt out in bed side table.

$38 for buffet breakfast is outrageous. The buffet is nice, but should be priced in the mid $20s.

We had a large group of people in the bar each night, and every single night we were moved from one bar to another, "This bar is closing". On the final night, with 60 people in the bar, they announced last drinks at 11:50. The duty manager said that it was due to the license, which was incorrect. Luckily a colleague had anticipated this, and had spoken to one of the managers earlier in the day. They kept the bar open (the bar staff were clearly cranky with this news, and they showed it), but closed it at 2am, when there were still 40+ people drinking.

Upon checkout, the credit card service fee is an insult. Just because you can charge doesn't mean you should charge it.

On a positive note, the kids club is a terrific service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear dangermandownunder,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I ma so glad you liked our Kids Club. I would like to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and our bar. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with rates of our breakfast and the the service you received that was less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Hunter Valley, Australia.

Sincerely,,

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a very positive experience at Crowne Plaza, Hunter Valley. Located in amongst a nice looking golf course, the accommodation offerings range from hotel style accommodation to detached villas. We stayed in the former, but were very happy with the room. Each room comes with a shower and separate bath. Great water pressure in the shower. The bathrooms are all new and sparkling clean. The in-house television offers all three Fox Sports channels (critical for my sports-mad wife). Each room has a balcony which is lovely for lounging in on warm evenings. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows weren't quite to our particular tastes - but seriously, pillow selection is extremely personal, so don't take this as a criticism.

What struck me was how family friendly this place is (p.s. we don't have any kids ourselves). I got the sense that this place is almost like a high quality top end holiday camp. The pool area is generous and inviting, there is a leisure centre which runs activities for kids, and I gather there is a kids club for parents wanting a bit of adult time. There are several huge chess sets and chequers sets for a casual game. And sporting equipment like soccer balls are casually left in some of the open grass spaces for passing amusement. But you would think with all these activities, the environment would be ruined by a heap of screaming kids. Happily, it isn't.

There is also a day spa, which we didn't take advantage of, as well as a full gym.

The casual bar/cafe opposite the pool does great snack food, which we availed ourselves of after a day of exploring the hunter. We were very happy with the quality of the food.

We didn't have dinner in the restaurant upstairs, but we did take breakfast there each day. For buffet food, the breakfast was very pleasing, and the opportunity to order your eggs as you like was great.

The bar in the foyer is also reasonably well stocked and there is a huge central fireplace that would surely be inviting on cold winter nights.

The only criticism I could possibly make would be that the Crowne's location at Lovedale puts some of Pokolbin's better restaurants a pricey cab fare away. Be prepared to pay $50-$70 in cab fares for a trip out to Hermitage Road. Alternatively, have a designated driver.

The staff were all very helpful, the concierge was prompt and efficient in meeting our few requests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is the fourth time i have been to this property. We stayed here for 3 nights on Easter long weekend. The place is full. I always come back here because the hotel is always nice and the service is excellent! They even lent us picnic blanket during our stay!

We had fine dining at Redsalt one night, and had wonderful wanyu beef and grilled spachcock. we also had casual dining at Grapewine and the fried seafood platter for 2 people is of great value!

This is a lot of things to do at the property, and is a great place to base youself in the Hunter Valley for fine wine and fine food

Tips: IHG rewards will introduce free internet for Gold and Platinum members from July this year, and all members from 2014 onwards. So join IHG rewards if you want free internet. Also, The hotel offers extend stay for additional night for $100 (deluxe room), $150 (2 bedroom villa), $180 (3 bedroom villa) when you are staying at the property, subject to availability. I was going to stay for 2 nights but enjoyed it so much we paid $100 for the extra night!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stay often at this resort whether for business or pleasure. One year my youngest son was at water dragons and fell ill. They rang me straight away, I had to take him to hospital. Lynn was so helpful, she offered to look after my older child so I wouldn't have to take him to hospital. She stayed back to help us and even ordered him a milk shake from the restaurant and set him up with video games in the games room where we found him having a great time. To me that was truly exceptional service. We are returning this weekend for Easter and I know it will be another great weekend. Heather and Mark T

Room Tip: We like the villas, really worth the extra space.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Heather and Mark
Thank you for your wonderful comments, Lynne is wonderful and a very valued member of our team
I hope you enjoy your Easter holiday with us, I will not be on duty but our Rooms Division Manager, Cameron Speedie is
Once again thank you and enjoy your next stay with us

Reviewed March 24, 2013

As part of our holiday last November/December 2012 we included a three day tour of N.S.W. Aus, and the above hotel was included on our itinery, and what a gorgeous place and as for the surrounding countryside, well it was bliss. The hotel itself well it might not suit everyone, however we found it to be very comfortable and clean, staff were very helpful and friendly. The outside swimming pool looked very inviting. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, like most things in Australia the cost of beer, wine, meat, well food in general is more expensive than in the uk, however you save up to go on holiday so you spend what you take with you and overall the hotel, people, service and food and drink were all top class and yes we would stay again.

Room Tip: Be nice to the receptionist.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments and we are glad you had a great stay
We hope to welcome you back soon

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 22, 2013

It is a nice hotel but pretty expensive for what it is. The only reason I stayed here was because I was attending a wedding. I can however see why they need to charge the price they do, the upkeep of the grounds and the servicing the rooms alone would be costly.
There was a bit of a wait on check in but even a bigger wait on check out, far too long in fact. I am not talking about 5 mins; I’m talking about 15 mins, standing in a queue waiting. My advice would be to settle the bill before the advised check out time to avoid the wait.
The villa we had was nice and spacious. The one thing that I found really odd and I have never come across this before; there is no top sheet on the beds, only a downer. I informed the receptionist on checkout (I thought housekeeping had forgotten to put one on the bed) and she told me it was standard practice in all Crowne Plaza hotels and if I wanted one I needed to request it. There are several issues I have with this. 1, You are not made aware of it. 2, If you return to the room late at night, have a shower, go to get in to bed and pull back the dooner and then see that you have no top sheet, you have to then wait for housekeeping to come to the room and remake your bed when all you really want to do is get into bed and go to sleep. 3, What happens in the middle of summer when it’s too hot to have a dooner on the bed? Do you sleep with no sheet at all? It is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of and a real inconvenience to have to request one and then wait for someone to come and put it on your bed.
The pool looked nice even though I didn’t swim in it. Cocktails in the bar are awful and not well made. Other drinks are a little on the expensive side.
Would I stay here again? No. It just doesn’t suit my taste and the sheet thing really erks me. What fool decided to bring in a policy as stupid as this?

Room Tip: Ask for one close to the main building
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear bgm01,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor service from housekeeping and the poor cocktail selection at the bar. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Crowne Plaza group always seems to produce great hotels and this one is no different especially if you're a golfer or wine lover. With a gorgeous golf course on site and with some of the world’s best wineries around the corner you will be spoilt for choice. The hotel itself is gorgeous too, nice rooms and everything is very fresh. The only thing that I would be critical about is its value. The breakfast is very expensive, $35 each, for mine is way over the top. I would usually not care about this but given in the Hunter Valley you cannot just walk around the corner to a nearby cafe it's more difficult to avoid paying for food at the hotel. There are no in room cooking facilities either. I loved the hotel but be prepared to pay for it too even if the room rate is a good deal. Parking on site is free also which is great and if you have a car you can drive to Cessnock for breakfast where there is plenty of reasonable priced restaurants.

Room Tip: Try and negotiate breakfast in your room rate!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and I am glad that your enjoyed the resort.
For your next stay we do offer cooking facilities in our two and three bedroom villas which are part of the resort accommodation offering
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future
Kind Regards
David Bark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lovedale
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Spicers Vineyards Estate
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort

Been to Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!