“Excellent wine, food, spa and golf getaway at the hunter valley”

Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lovedale
Sydney
“Excellent wine, food, spa and golf getaway at the hunter valley”
Reviewed April 25, 2008

This latest addition to the ic hotel group's portfolio of hotels and resort did not dissapoint.

The hotel has about 150 rooms spread over two wings and 70+ villas on its compound. The balconies on the Pokolbin wings overlooks the main carpark, while that of the Lovedale wings has a view of the swimming pool. Room are large and comfortable, with earth brown deco that is very vogue with hotels at the moment. Bathroom is modern, with separate shower, large bath and luxurious bathrobe. I would have prefer a little more water pressure and volume, but considering the fact that the region is experiencing a prolong draught, the water saving shower head is a necessity.

Breakfast at the Redsalt restaurant is relatively pricey if not pre-booked. Standard fair includes coffee from expressor machine, omelette or egg benedict made to offer, and choice of newspaper --- which made breakfast while watching the sun rise over the hills of Lovedale a very civilised affair. On weekend, however, the breakfast crowd can get pretty mad between 9-10 AM, and it maybe wise to either get up earlier or go elsewhere.

We did not dine at Redsalt, but this has more to do with our dissapointment with Seasalt, a sister restaurant at Crowne Plaza Terrigal the night before. Morever, the hunter valley has several good restaurant which should not be missed. We tried Mojo on the Wilderness, a vineyard restaurant on a dirt road behind the hotel (~20 min by car) which offers excellent food and service at very reasonable prices. Ask for direction if you plan to go after dark, as the restaurant is located up a dirt road.

If you are sick of restaurants, the hotel also offers a package where you can BBQ on your hotel balcony (or anywhere else in the hotel compound) for $60 for two. This involved them setting up the BBQ and bringing a basket containing rump steak, sausages, salad, potato, vinegrette, cooking oil etc to your room at the appointed time. We decided to try this for Earth Hour. With the bottle and cheese we brought earlier that day, the glorious lavender sunset, this turned out to be a pretty novel and enjoyable experience. Especially when everyhting is magically clean and put away the next day.

The hotel is a stone throw away from the major vineyards in Pokolbin, and boutique wine makers in Lovedale. The hotel has a spa and 18 h technical golf course on site. Both are very popular and I would suggest guest to pre-book for busy weekends period. Male guest should also consider BYO golf clubs as the hired ones run out pretty quickly (by 8 am on a saturday!). The hotel also has a large heated pool (which looked inviting) and a small game room. There is also a kids club on site which should give mum and dad some quiet time.

• Liked — Excellent hotel designed for relaxing wine, food, spa and golf getaway at the hunter valley. Good service and ability to cater to the needs of almost everyone.
  • Disliked — Mad breakfast crowd on weekend -- hotel should extend breakfast hours or increase number of staff to cope.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Aus
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I stayed for 2 nights, the hotel and it's grounds are really lovely.

Had a twin room, the beds were a generous size, we had a ground floor room so had a little area we could sit outside.

They have a BBQ option, where they deliver a portable BBQ to your room with all the food, it was a nice option where we could eat in and enjoy a bottle of wine without having to dress up and go out to a restaurant.

The whiskey bar is a nice area. We went to go to the other bar but it seemed closed, which was disappointing, but the whiskey bar made good drinks so it didn't matter in the end.

The only disappointing part of the stay was at checkout. We had booked a 'spa package' as advertised on their website. When I rang to book (as you could only book this package on the phone) I asked if the package included the massage or facial for TWO people, ie both people get to have one, which I was told yes it was. As I was booking for 2 nights, I just booked the room for the second night. If I had known at this stage the massage or facial included was for just 1 person, then I would have booked a spa package for both nights so I could have a facial for me and my friend.

On checkout, they had initially charged me for 2 facials. When I said I had the package for the first night, they then readjusted the price, but only took one of the facials off. The girl, Kate, also told me that the value of the facial is only up to $100 (and of course it cost more than this) so I would have to pay the difference. When I told them that on the phone I was told it included 2 facials, she got the manager.

The manager came across a bit annoyed at me, and only offered to not charge an excess and to discount the cost of the second facial by 50%. So in the end, the overall cost was slightly cheaper than paying for 2 spa packages. If I had known on booking that I would need to pay the extra money I would have been more than happy to, but because it was an unexpected cost it left a sour taste to the end of a lovely trip especially since the manager didn't seem to be very accomodating, plus he was on the phone whilst dealing with me, so not giving me his full attention. So on that I give them a big thumbs down for bad customer service.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Bad customer service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank kikikins
Beijing, China
Reviewed February 1, 2008

Last Monday I stayed at the Crowne Plaze - Hunter Valley with my wife and some friends who are also business clients. This was my fourth stay here, but the first for my wife, who rated the hotel higher in standard than some 5 Star properties we have stayed in at Central Sydney.

For a 4 star hotel, the hotel is modern and very comfortable, and I too rate this one very highly. The (huge) outdoor swimming pool was at 26 degrees C, and was very comfortable. We had some drinks by the pool and a swim before dining. There is also a golf course, which we did not use during the stay.

The room (King room in main hotel building) was clean and comfortable with good toiletries. A separate shower and bath are included, as is cable television on a plasma or LCD television. Wired and wireless internet access is available, but due to the price I tend to use a 3G card attached to the laptop instead.

The hotel offers free valet parking, a welcome treat after a long drive from Sydney. Retrieving the car has always been prompt and efficient. Check in was fast, friendly and efficient, and I was given some basic information about the hotel and was offered to make a restaurant booking for me.

This was my first time having dinner at the Redsalt restaurant. The food was good, however not of the same high standard as some of the nearby restaurants in wineries, while commanding the same price. Similarly, in past visits I have dined at the Star Anise Restaurant, which is downstairs near the Pro Shop, and have also been satisfied but slightly disappointed. Star Anise is a pan-Asian restaurant, with Chinese, Thai and Indian on the menu, however I have always found the meals less authentic than at, for example, a specialised Indian restaurant. The "Anise Iced Tea" cocktail served in the restaurant, however, is highly recommended.

There is such a variety of quality dining in the Hunter region (Cuvee restaurant at the nearby Petersons Champagne House is my favourite), so I recommend exploring rather than dining in-house.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel on this occasion, however I have previously eaten there and it is the type of hot/cold buffet typically found in many 5 star hotels in Sydney.

All in all, I look forward to visiting the Cessnock area on business to stay at such a nice, good value hotel. My wife loved staying here, and I do too! Will definitely return.

• Liked — Pool, Ambience, Room Comfort
  • Disliked — Restaurants - there are better ones (quality and value) locally
1 Thank OzML
Reviewed January 25, 2008

Just spent two days at the Crowne in the Hunter with my husband and two children aged 12 and 16.
We stayed in a two bedroom villa right in the middle of the Golf Course.It was lovely . My husband's dream is to live on a Golf course and so this was perfect. The room are spacious and nicely decorated. The beds were very comfortable and every thing was almost perfect.
The staff were very friendly and tried their hardest to please at
all times.

The food and service in Red Salt was lovely we all enjoyed our meals.

The Day Spa was fantastic. My daughter had her very first facial
and was sold. I was so glad it was such a nice first time experience for her. Only problem is she now ask when will be the next time? I don't know if we could find anywhere nicer.
I had a remedial massage and with back problems I know the
treatment was fantastic. Jenny helped relive my pains for several
days this was unbelievable.
Ok so what didn't I like. The pool ,I had advised front desk and
conciege it was too cool. There were not many people in the
pool because the weather was not the best but it did not help with the pool being so cold. My son who loves swimming and handles the cool water well only stayed in for a short period of time. This was disappointing as I felt they could have heated the pool more for the next days.
The safe in our villa number 2 was not working. We asked for it to
be fixed a few times but it never happened. The hotel staff came to look at it and were to call maintenance but this never happened.
But overall I still think this Hotel is a good choice for the Hunter
Valley.

• Liked — The style of accommodation , day spa
  • Disliked — the pool
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank wglee
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. We had booked this through lastminute.com and had a superior room with a huge, comfortable bed. It was expremely clean and the facilities were great. Our bathroom had both a large bath and wet room shower. The staff were friendly and helpful and knowledgeable about the area.

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — Nothing
Reviewed January 20, 2008

My husband and I booked a room through Wotif for $150 a night. We have stayed at a number of other places @ the Hunter and weren't sure quite what to expect. The room was clean, comfortable and somewhat swanky- very similar in decor to the Crowne Plaza @ Queenstown. Great location as it is close to wineries and restaurants. The Concierge made a dinner booking for us at Mojo's on Wilderness - fab :) Only complaint would be that bathroom products were not Red Earth as advertised....Staff were very friendly, we'll be sure to return again and make use of the beautiful facilities on offer - spa, golf, pool etc

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Bathroom products
somewhere in u.s.
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I planned a special weekend for my husband's weekend, and I was searching everywhere for nice quiet place to stay. Unfortunately, that was the weekend of the Beach Boys concert so almost everything I looked at was booked. I was hesitant about staying in a chain hotel as I wanted us tucked away in a quiet cabin. Well, the Crowne Plaza had few rooms still available so I took a chance on it.

We had a great time. We had a King Size bed, which was super comfy. The staff were kind enough to put us away from all the noise so we felt tucked away from everything and really enjoyed ourselves. Unfortunately, it was raining and very muggy the whole evening. So we had drinks in the foyer. The decor was very modern, which I really like. The drinks and service were wonderful. We made reservations for dinner at the Red Salt, and the food was good though the portions were a bit small.

I liked the modern decor and the fact that the hotel is fairly new. The hotel was clean and the service great. We would recommend this place to our friends.

• Stayed November 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lovedale
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#10 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!