“Beautiful resort.”

Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lovedale
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We arrived at 3pm and our room was not ready so had to wait for about 30 minutes.
Airport is about 1 kilometre away from the resort, however, you really need to have a car if you want to spend time at the vineyards or want to dine at different restaurants in the area. There is no undercover parking but generally you can park fairly close to your room.
Buffett breakfast is $38 per person if it is not included in your room rate or do not have a Priority Privilege card.
The resort has several restaurants but there are no other restaurants within walking distance.
If you have a vehicle you can take a Tyrrell's tour for $5 at 10.30am or a McWilliams tour at 11am which also costs $5 - both are excellent tours and go for approximately 1 hour.
Internet is expensive, however there are 4 computers in the business section which are free if you just want to check your e-mail messages.
Overall this is a very nice resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have just come back from 3 nights at this venue as part of a work conference. Extremely disappointed on many fronts:
- arrived at around 3pm, villa not cleaned, although beds had been semi made but dirty dishes etc
- second day after cleaning service no towels were replaced - we had one between 3 of us and only had 30 mins to all get ready for the next function - took them 20mins to get them to us
- tried to catch the waitresses eye during breakfast to order coffees - she looked at me and mouthed 'NO'
- a colleague tried to order a gin & tonic and was told they were out at that bar and he (my colleague) had to go and get it from the downstairs bar
- the conference food was virtually inedible - I was starving the whole time and had to order pizzas to my room which I will not be reimbursed for. I know conference food is usually bad but this was beyond terrible.
Those are just specific examples, but overall, it was a bad experience. I have stayed at hotels all over the world, particularly Asia for some huge conferences, and never experienced this lack of service. Do not recommend it if you are in a big group.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank rubymajik
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear rubymajik,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley. Our team take guest feedback very seriously and we are disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not to your full expectation.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak further with you about your experience. If possible, could you please private message us your contact details (phone number and/or email address) and I will be in contact with you to discuss the feedback you have shared regarding your recent stay.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. I hope we can work with you to reach a resolution and that you may consider our services again in the future.

Kind Regards,
David Bark

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 8 weeks for my husbands employment, the room was spotless and had a really nice layout (we had the 2 bedroom lower floor unit), the bed was really comfy, the only thing wrong was that it did not have an oven or dishwasher, but with only the two of us it was not a problem. The laundry facilities are not in the unit but not far away, washing powder is supplied but you have to have $1 coins to operate the machines. They also have an ice machine in the laundry. The reception staff and housekeeping are very friendly and go out of there way to make sure you are happy. The main restaurant on the lower floor of the lobby is beautiful, but the bar upstairs is very friendly for a beer and a catchup. The pool is massive and to die for. We were there for part of the school holidays so there was a lot of kids, but when school resumed the pool was pretty empty. The grounds are really well maintained and look beautiful, our unit overlooked a large pond full of duck, swans and many other varieties of wildlife. I would recommend the Crowne Plaza to anyone.

Thank you for making our stay one to remember.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the ponds, Sunday morning having breaky on your balcony is interesting watching al...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A good hotel where there is a lot of things to activate yourself with. Everything worked well at the hotel at the time we where there. It seemed to be quite a lot of people but no long lines or waiting times anywhere. The only thing that would take down the overall score would be that the room we had could need a slight renovation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I never thought I would have to write a bad review of a hotel on tripadvisor until my recent stay at Crowne Plaza. My time at this hotel was horrendous and very surprising.

We arrived on the 20th and check in was smooth, received our keys and went to our deluxe room. On arrival we found that it was filthy, beer bottles on the ground, full ash tray on the balcony, unmade beds and dirty towels all over the floor. We checked in at 4:30 so this was plenty of time for the staff to clean the room. Called down to reception and was asked to be moved to a clean room was informed that the only room they had left was one without a view. I accepted it and was moved to a clean room, the staff did come to the room with a bottle of wine which was nice. I thought at this stage the rest of my stay would be smooth - I was really wrong.

At 7pm we tried to have a shower no hot water. Tried again at 8pm still no hot water I would have called down to reception however after already complaining about the room I didn't want to be annoying. Even at 3am still no hot water!!!!! We weren't able to have a shot shower until the next morning. When we asked at breakfast what happened to the water the staff said that it happened to the entire hotel. No one bothered to put a sign out of an apology it was just ignored.

That day we were going out so we were wanting to put our valuables in the safe. No can do- that was broken too! Called down to reception and asked if someone could come fix it. Was told it wouldn't happen for at least a couple of hours.

So day two we went out from 8:30 till 4:30 coming back to our room expecting it to be cleaned. Totally not the case. It had not been even touched. When asking the bored looking cleaning staff how come our room hasn't been cleaned when we have been out all day we were told that they have till 6 PM to do it and will get around to it sometime in the next 90 mins. Was annoying after a long day out but went out and had a couple of drinks at the pool bar and waited till 6 expecting to come back to a beautifully cleaned room. Again not the case which is disappointing. We still had 2!dirty towels which were clearly on the floor, ironing board and iron still left out and dirty cups left. The only thing which was done was pulling our bed spread up which looked very untidy.

For a 4.5 star hotel I do expect better from the cleaning staff especially when leaving for another 90 mins to let them clean the room. At this point I had enough as this weekend was suppose to be the celebration of myself getting engaged and my mum took me away as a surprise. She was so upset with all the drama as she was thinking she was booking me into a hotel which was of a high standard. This hotel was also suppose to be the one that my wedding guests were going to stay at but thankfully I know not to bother at all.

After the cleaning staff left there was a guest satisfaction survey left on our desk and I filled it out and handed it to the front desk. We were called by the manager and offered a cheese platter but that was it. Trust me we weren't expecting anything we just expected to have good service from the start of our stay. We said thank you but declined the offer as a cheese platter doesn't fix much and we were going home the next morning and were so over it.

Night two we had hot water! Yay but unfortunately were kept awake but what we thought was next door having a super long shower. Not the case it was just our air conditioner being really noisey!

Finally on our last morning I went to have a shower and once again no hot water so had to have a very quick cold one. Checked out and asked how our stay was by the receptionists said it was terrible- instead of saying I'm sorry etc we just got 'well have a safe drive' I was so happy to leave!

Pretty much this hotel is only good if you are hiring a villa as you have your own hot water tank and hopefully the cleaning staff are quicker. For what our room was like and the price we payed the service did not match. (Water stains on carpets and rude staff).

If you are a bride seriously think about checking your guests into a different hotel as it appears this hotel has bitten off more than it can chew with the sheer number of rooms it has and therefore aren't able to give you the 4.5 star service that all guests deserve.

But to be fair to the hotel which I think is important the facilities are lovely when they are working such as the pool and the buffet breakfast was great with the staff in there being very attentive.

• Stayed: January 2013
7  Thank Emma_Bella_1990
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Emma_Bella_1990,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Loverdale, New South Wales, Australia

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We booked a family weekend and was so grateful after a long drive to swim in the large pool. Well depthed, max 1.6 m, so safe for smaller children, the pool and adjacent spa provided a welcome relief. The buffet breakfast was undoubtedly the best I have experienced anywhere. Including cruise liners! Huge selection constantly refreshed. Because of its popularity it is well subscribed resulting in fairly large queues around 0900 -0945. The layout of the complex means it is a fairly long haul from reception to rooms. Also the car parking areas are a long way from the main accomodation of the hotel. Villa parking is close to the villas. There is virtually no shade for parked cars resulting in very hot cars. This is something the hotel should address. Wi-Fi is not free, something I thought was a bit stingey. Food in general was good but bar food took a long time to be served. Rooms large, clean and comfortable. All the staff pleasant and helpful. But empty glasses etc on tables were not cleared away for a while. I would stay there again and recommendit to anyone.

Room Tip: I had recently had a iknee replacement so walking was difficult. The carpark was a long, long way...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights from 13 Jan 2013. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and the hotel has good facilities such as a pool, gym, restaurant and bar, golf course, spa, tennis court etc. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was quite good, has everything you want. Overall, a nice, quiet, relaxing place to stay at.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lovedale
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Spicers Vineyards Estate
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!