“outstanding lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leaves & Fishes Lovedale Restaurant

Leaves & Fishes Lovedale Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Lovedale
Cuisines: Australian, Seafood, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Leaves & Fishes Lovedale Restaurant offers fresh, smart and simple dining to its guests within its inviting boathouse atmosphere perched over the water with views of the Brokenback ranges. A range of Asian-fusion and Australian meals are complimented by a Hunter-focused wine list to reward guests with a great Hunter dining experience. With more than 10 years experience, Leaves & Fishes Lovedale Restaurant is a favourite with locals and tourists alike - a must-see!
sydney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“outstanding lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I live in the lower Hunter region and have eaten well at four or five of the good restaurants in the vineyards area. But I've never been motivated to review any till now. For me this is easily number one. Lovely venue - comfortable attractive Bali-style open room with bamboo blinds, water features all around - but it was the food that starred most. Barramundi pie, crispy skin duck with ginger orange sauce, to mention two stunning mains. The warm apple pie was the best I've ever had - just-soft caramelised apple pieces in the lightest puff pastry with divine sauce and top quality vanilla icecream. Even the chips were exceptional. Worth every penny. Ours was a long Sunday lunch and we received great service on a busy day. Can't wait to return. My top recommendation for this region.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeavesandFishes, Guest Relations Manager at Leaves & Fishes Lovedale Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We value all reviews we receive so thank-you for first review. We're thrilled to be your top recommendation for the region. We continue to provide a relaxed alternative to dining in Hunter Wine Country. The pie, duck and apple torte are highly recommended by our staff and represent the best of our new menu. We hope that we can continue to provide an enjoyable Sunday lunch experience into the new year.

Cessnock, Australia
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have been to Leaves and Fishes a few times and I have loved it every single time. Do yourself a favour and order the real fish and chips, just makes sure you're prepared to unbutton your pants when you're done as the meal is HUGE! The desserts here are amazing as well and never disappoint. I love the local wine list and I think it's great that they promote the other local wineries (I'm a local myself and can't get enough of our HV wine!). The staff are also super friendly and always happy for a chat which really gives the place a warm and friendly vibe. Keep up the great work Leaves and Fishes!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Our fish and chips continues to be very popular with our Sunday casual diners who are looking for real relief from a weekend in the Hunter Wine Country. We pride ourselves on delivering the best of Hunter-produced wine at a fair price to lur Wine Country visitors. The next vintage is lnly weeks away so we hope you will join us again soon at LCXF for a new selection of premium Hunter wine.
Newcastle
“A little Pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

After hearing such great things about Leaves and Fishes I thought best it time to try it out. A catch up lunch with friends mid week which turned in to a very LONG lunch. The staff were friendly and attentive but it took forever for our meals to come out. I could understand if the Restaurant was full but this was not the case. Finally after a long weight we thought best if we ask a waitress if our meals were going to be long. Another ten minutes we waited and finally they arrived 1 hour after ordering, I was not impressed at all.
The food was well presented and the duck dish that I ordered was very tasty. Everyone else on the table enjoyed their meals despite the fact that we all thought it was a little over priced for what we received.
I really think this Restaurant has great potential, they just need to get there time management sorted out in the kitchen.
I will go back as I think everyone deserves a second change. Fingers crossed.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Our restaurant was staffed lower during this time which led to a delay in meals. I'm pleased to confirm this issue has been resolved. Thankfully, you and your guests enjoyed their meals when they did arrive. I do hope you will offer us a second chance and enjoy your next experience at Leaves & Fishes Lovedale.
Sydney
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

we came to this restaurant on a recommendation and given the main course charges of $38 and $39 dollars we were underwhelmed by the small dry snapper and the stirfried prawns which evoked memories of the old sweet and sour prawns with pineapple pieces and canton sauce. Shame that a fish restaurant would not have the freshest produce unlike Muse Kitchen which did at a lesser price and after our main courses we were ignored by the waiting staff so left without even a coffee

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank-you for your feedback on our meals - it's an important part of improving our experience for customers just like you. I'm happy to inform you both items you mentioned were new additions to the menu at the time and have been improved thanks to your feedback. We hope you can join us at Leaves & Fishes Lovedale again soon to try our revised menu.
Sydney, Australia
“Expensive and Slow Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We ate at Leaves & Fishes last Friday night. If you are happy to wait for 2 hours and pay $38 for a main meal, then this is the place for you. The service started off very inviting, but when they seemed to misplace our order for the main meal (there was an explanation, which didn't make any sense), we were ignored. The wine list is limited. Only one pinot noir. The wait staff are not trained to answer questions about the wine and are not aware of the procedure of "offering a taste" before pouring wine and also opening a wine bottle (which has a cork) at the table, and not bringing the bottle already opened to the table. The prices for the meals at this restaurant are top end, and the service doesn't match the top end pricing. The food is quite acceptable.
This was a return visit, as we had enjoyed the atmosphere, food and service previously. Something is wrong behind the scenes and needs fixing. The venue is such a lovely place.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LeavesandFishes, Public Relations Manager at Leaves & Fishes Lovedale Restaurant, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Due to staff taking well-deserved leave, I am sorry that we could not reproduce the same experience as your first visit. I am glad to hear however that you enjoyed the venue and food regardless. Thank-you for raising these concerns at the end of the evening - I hope that you were suitably compensated at that time.

In regards to our winelist, an important distinction should be made: we are not a metropolitan, fine-dining establishment; we are a restaurant in Hunter Wine Country. This means that the procedures you mention are obsolete in our case: we have excellent wine-making skill and technology, excellent wine packaging and excellent wine storage at our affiliate local winemakers. Our customers trust that we can deliver a premium wine, uncorked and at a fair price to their table every time by virtue of our location. Our winelist accurately reflects the state of play in the region: varieties like Pinot Noir are difficult to cultivate here so good wine is scarce. We encourage all our customers to be educated on the strengths of Hunter Wine Country because that is what customers expect of us. If they are dining in Hunter Wine Country, they trust us to deliver the best of Hunter wine ahead of any other region.