All reviews dining room train station copper canyon the hotel staff adventure park shuttle service meals included el chepe lunch and dinner a wonderful stay rustic furniture maria rim tarahumara edge stone guide
Reviewed April 14, 2008

The first thing that struck me very odd and out of place was the medieval castle look for a hotel in the middle of Tarahumara country. As we sat down to eat our first meal, I continued to notice the medieval motifs in the large dining room. Contrasting with the medieval look, a large mural on one wall portrayed the magnificence of Copper Canyon and a representation of the local Tarahumara people. In my opinion, hotel management would have done much better to keep the building facade and design to conform with traditional local designs to aid the ambiance and atmosphere of being in Tarahumara country.

Room rates include meals. However, I did not care for having the meals chosen for me by hotel management (all guests are served the same meal). Again, meals did not represent the local customs for the most part, only one meal of three while I was there was accompanied by tortillas. Two of three meals were served on the colder side of warm. Take some snacks, as portions are scant.

Unlike hotel design, the room where I stayed was more conforming to local traditions, with visually appealing traditional rustic furniture and room design. Although the room was comfortable enough and clean, the $90+/night rate seemed steep when considering the ammenities. There was no TV, no phone, no alarm/radio, small, cheap towels, and only lukewarm water in the shower. Although a small coffe pot was in the room, coffee was nowhere to be found. The evening weather was a bit chilly during my stay, and although I followed the directions on the wall mounted gas heater, I could not get a fire going.

By far, most of the staff was corteous and accomodating. One rude remark was made by a waiter when one of our party asked a question about the meal being served.

Date of stay: April 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank riomol
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Copper Canyon is one of those must-see places. Given that, I think it is worth spending a little more for a room that sits literally on the edge of the cliff looking over the Canyon. Mansion Tarahumara just added a building (and dining area/bar) above the pre-existing cabins. An entirely different feel. This allows you to watch the sunrise in the morning and to just take in the eternity of the place the rest of the time. Some rooms also have patios looking west as well so that you can also have the sunset over the valley too. I think there are only 2 other hotels up there that offer cliff-side rooms (Mirador and Divisidero). If you are on a budget, frankly there is nothing "cheap" up there....so be prepared.
I also found trying to email any of these places was frustratingly non-responsive; so you just need to try that once and then break down and call.
Food was well prepared and tasty. Go on all the hikes, tours, etc that are offered--well worth it.

Date of stay: February 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank BarbTacoma_WA
Reviewed January 5, 2008

This was our second choice, after the hotel at Divisadero (but that was fully booked). We booked by phone, but when we got there they had no record of our reservation. (So make sure you get a confirmation by fax. Luckily, they had rooms. If not, I don't know what we'd've done, as there's nowhere else to stay.)

The cabins seemed a bit pricey at first (especially as they have no canyon view), but were just about okay on second thoughts, as the $250/night price covered four adults, with three meals each a day. (But don't bother asking for seconds - they feed you as cheaply as possible.)

Cabins are all the same price, but vary greatly in comfort. We were there for two nights, but had to switch rooms after the first. Ask for Cabin 33 (kitchenette, TV, big heater, nice and warm), NOT cabin 27 (no kitchenette, no TV, little heater, FREEZING).

Forget the horseback riding. Not worth the $10/hour price. The views aren't any different, and the horses are old, small and lazy. We were on time, and the first ones there, but had to wait for the others (all Mexican) to deign to show up at their leisure. We set out almost an hour later than advertised, and had to rush to get back in time for the train, thus in effect paying $5 for just standing around waiting to get started. The guy in charge is an ornery old dude who wouldn't let us set off until everyone was there, even though he had three or four assistants. The latecomers, of course, were assigned horses first, and I got left with one that had a saddle with some kind of thigh-brace thing on it that was extremely uncomfortable, and not built for anyone bigger than a teenager (i.e. an average Mexican). I couldn't walk properly for a week afterwards.

I don't ever see myself going back to the Copper Canyon. But if I did, I'd stay at the Divisadero.

Date of stay: December 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank davideisaura
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My wife and I went there for a 2 night stay as a part of our honeymoon and it was very enjoyable. There were a couple small issues that arose, but Maria quickly took care of them and seemed cheerful to help in any way. The canyon view is just a short hike away, and the rim tour was very scenic and enjoyable. The cabins were great and so was the landscaping. The food and dining experience was excellent and the hummingbirds on the porch were a lot of fun to watch. Also, we walked and checked out the new construction site where they are building new rooms with the incredible canyon view. Maria said these rooms should be available in a month or so. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and are also glad we spent 2 nights there instead of the one night we originally planned.

Date of stay: June 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank MNRubS
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Stayed ther in June for 2 nights with my family. We had two Cabins.

Good points are that you have individual cabins, each with it's own character. They are large and comfortable. The owner is onsite and she speaks English, She is always around making sure things go well. Everyone is very attentive. Food is great. Setting is peaceful and relaxing. Pool and Spa a plus. Kids love the whole castle theme. It is a fun place to be an they will take you on any tour or side trip you want.

Disadvantages. It is on hillside and this may be challenging for people who are not keen on going up and down steps. To get to the rim views you need to hike a bit on either steep steps or dirt road. This was a problem for my 83 y/o mother who is not very agile on her feet.

Date of stay: June 2007