“Clean, very Mexican hNot otel. Poor service, and poor food.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Margarita's Plaza Mexicana

Margarita's Plaza Mexicana
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Creel
Tucson, Arizona
“Clean, very Mexican hNot otel. Poor service, and poor food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

This motel

The motel was cute, the rooms were clean, and it was a true Mexican style motel. The courtyard was adorable, and our tour group took advantage of sitting our there and having a good time. The food was not good. We did have good cauliflower soup, then fried fish that was not good. The guy in our group that is a self professed "eater of anything" and the one to take the left overs wouldn't eat it. The side dish was boiled cabbage and potatoes. The breakfast (also included like the dinner) was scrambled eggs, a tomato slice, and toast. Not bad, just ordinary. The wait staff was inexperienced and rude. Our tour guide complained about it afterwards, it wasn't just me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bonnie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Hotel Margarita was a last minute choice. Getting off the train we were confronted with many men who supposedly worked for them (only one actually did), so we made the five minute walk there ourselves.
The place was cute and very Mexican, the rooms clean and comfortable.
My gripes were that staff were not very helpful, there was many miscommunications due to our lack of Spanish. Although our room (104) was warm with the heater on, the heater would make loud banging noises every 20 minutes or so. So just as you went to sleep the noise would wake you up. I encountered a sleepless night because of this. My friends in room 105 said theirs was a little noisy, but not enough to keep waking you up.
All up, not a bad place, just check the heater works properly, which is hard because it takes a few hours to start making the noise.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachel B
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Not a good experience. Paid for dinner & breakfast turned out to be non-existent, allegedly the restaurant was being rennovated. You could see that there were no signs of. Cold and difficult to get the heating organised. Local hotel pickup & tour were a rip off. In any case avoid Creel, the Copper Canyon is so much more immediately accessible at much nicer Possada Barrancas where the Miradoor Hotel is just so much, much better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

For my last 3 trips to Creel, I've stayed at this hotel and was comfortable....tho' the food was very meager. Last summer I arranged for a month's stay and paid in advance. Toward the end of the first week, I fell ill and wound up in the local Tarahumara hospital. They were unable to diagnose my problem (slight heart attack, I found out when I got home) but treated me very kindly and with great care. After 2 days in the hospital I returned to the hotel, but decided to return home because I felt so poorly. I was assured that I would be able to use my remaining 3 week credit for my stay anytime.....I told them I would definitely be back in 2013. Well, beginning in May of this year I began trying to make my arrangements for this year. I called a total of 7 times. The receptionist, mwhen I called, was always very negative about dates.....I was told there were no rooms available ('tho on the Internet hotel booking sites there were rooms always available).... I tried emailing but never got a response. Every time I called I was told the only person who spoke English was on vacation and would be gone 2 more weeks....I was told this 3 times. The final time I tried to make a reservation, I simply asked whether it would be better to come in August or September and was told that I should come in August...."there were plenty of rooms". So, long story short, I arrived at the hotel Wed. The 21st of August and went to see Margarita herself at the old hotel on the square to pay my respects and let her know that I had arrived. I was told that she was not available. I was sent to their second hotel location where I always stay and I spoke at length with the receptionist and one of their tour operators. There were a couple of phone calls about me while I was at the front desk......but, when i asked to speak to Margarita directly (she speaks English very well), was told again she was not available. The upshot was I had no credit due me ( they said it was not their fault that I got sick), and when I tried to obtain a room anyway, was told that the hotel was booked (there were more than a dozen keys in slots behind the desk....and, anyway they would not accept my credit card and would only take cash from me. And the quoted a nightly rate at double the price of last year.....So, I was lied to repeatedly.....so this is how they treat their customers.....repeat customers, at that! Imagine!
I had arrived with a girlfriend and had wanted to stay only 1 week....and offered to trade my 3 weeks just by myself for the 1 week with my friend but they were not at all receptive. Too bad.....I had recommended this hotel to several people, but no more. I am 62 and have traveled extensively around Mexico and have learned that often the money is more important than the customer. I was genuinely surprised by their duplicity. Buyer beware.....
I did get a room at Bertie Cabañas closer to the plaza and paid only 200 pesos a night....it was very quiet and comfortable. I will post a good review for them. These reviews are very helpful....Creel is lovely and I will be going there again....but not to Margarita's!

Room Tip: Shop around! There are several good places better to support!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Laura R
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this very busy hotel just off the main street. Each room has its own gas space heater which made our February visit that much more enjoyable. The hotel has a policy of not providing a TV remote unless you go to the front desk and ask for it but that was a minor complaint. It was nice to eat both breakfast and dinner in the hotel. The food was good, not great, but certainly adequate and it all came in the price of the room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JacksterDelaware
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Creel was my first stop during my journey on El Chepe from Chihuahua to El Fuerte. I stayed for a couple of nights and it was perfect. The room was a great size, spotlessly clean and warmed up quickly as the evening became chilly. Comfortable bed resulting in a great nights sleep with a warm shower and hot breakfast on both mornings. The staff were very helpful and informative. It was low season and I had difficulty arranging a tour but Kaleb was very obliging and managed to organise one for the first morning of my stay. Great value - I totally recommend it for a stay in Creel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelbarLondon
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Excellent spot. Stayed at the other Margarita's in Creel 10 years ago, and enjoyed it. Stayed here this time with a few friends in a few rooms. Experienced and reported: clean, small, rooms around a colorful courtyard. Gas heaters in every room, bathrooms clean, hot water (usually). You're served a "comida corrida" style breakfast- and dinner-of-the-day included. Beer and sodas available during dinner. Friendly front desk, good location.
Please note: this is a completely different part of Chihuahua (Mexico's largest state) than north, including Ciudad Juarez/El Paso. So get to Creel via the Copper Canyon Railway from El Fuerte. The train ride is incredible, the canyon is awesome, and the natural area just outside of tiny Creel (still populated) is beautiful and interesting. (Easy) day trip to Divisadero and go zip-lining and bridging into the canyon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 525DB525
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creel
Hotel Posada Del Cobre
Hotel Ecologico Temazcal
Posada Barrancas Mirador
Posada Barrancas Mirador
#3 of 18 in Copper Canyon

Been to Margarita's Plaza Mexicana? Share your experiences!