“22 Years ago ...”
Review of Casa Margarita's

Casa Margarita's
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Creel
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed at Margarita's used it a hub to trek the canyon, they were very helpful, met several of Margarita and a couple family members. This was back when they had the little coffee house on the first floor, Mike P. ran that part of the operation. Mike was quite the character, we made several treks in and about the canyon, really did enjoy his company. Was able to meet several other people from different parts of the world. I met a fellow from Germany which was writing his masters thesis about the Tarahumara Indians, met hiking on one of the trails outside of Creel. He was able to speak their language and had many stories to talk about, gave me some pointers on places and things around the many canyon trails. He had one story when he asked one the Indians how far it was to the next village ... it was only to be less than 7 hours, better than a day and half later did he make it to the village. Now he was in great shape and was hiking, not running as the native with all of his vigor on the rugged trails of Copper Canyon.

Room Tip: Wake up with a smile and have a large meal and be ready for a full day, when you come back you are r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stopped at Creel with the train, coming down the steps we were approached by someone from the hotel that carried our bags and took us to the hotel which was beside the main plaza.
The rooms were squeaky clean roomy and the hospitality was just like if you we're a the especial guest. Plenty of hot water after you come home tired from the tours, that by the way they organize for you with very reasonable prices. I would recommend this simple hotel to well traveled people that can appreciate simpleness.

Room Tip: Do the tours directly with them
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just felt the urge to comment on this hotel. I have stayed there 4 times and have been delighted with the experience every time. The first time was about 10 years ago and I found the people to be very helpful with information about the Copper Canyon area. Another couple and myself ventured into the canyon on our own, what a hair a raising experience at that time, fortunately I had a 4 wheel drive. When we arrived at the bottom of the canyon after dodging other larger trucks with supplies coming out I felt I had once again put myself in a very precarious position knowing I had to run the gauntlet again to get out of the canyon.

The good fortune of being in such a beautiful canyon in the beautiful Margarita's hotel built up the side of the mountain with the Botopilas River running right in front of the rock work deck where we had a cocktail which immediately settled any nerves we might have jumbled. The sound of the river was most settling. Breakfast and dinner was prepared in excellent style. I'm not very hard to please but I believe these accommodations would have pleased anyone. The room decorations and tile work is very Spanish/Mexican, beautiful.

One other ambience I remember was the lights, the generator was shut down about 7 in the evening and the rest of the evening was enjoyed with oil lamps. I'll always remember that. They have recently extended the power line through there and now the lights are on all the time.

It's a short ride to the town or an enjoyable walk. I hope more people get to enjoy this experience. I will be going back.

The most recent experience was in November 2012. The short road which is the original I took on my first trip is being paved and I would recommend you call the Margatita's hotel contact to check on the paving project and excellent accommodations.

Room Tip: I have had such good experience with the Las Mararita's hotel that I would recommend it to anyon...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ElFrigate
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is very clean, the service is good, food and tour guides. Mr. Maklen Mendoza is a good tourist guide, as well as Martín. Mr. Ezequiel and Omar are a good tour organizers and I happily recommend them. Creel is a wonderful place to visit and learn about Rarámuri culture. Marcela

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Paid 250 a night for my own room.
Clean, hot water, good bed. Food is also included. Quality of the food is ok. Served at another hotel some 5 min walk away.
What you can expect for a hotel room at that price.
Overall i'm satisfied for my choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 2Bacan
Reviewed September 12, 2012

we stayed in Casa Margarita because it was the cheapest option in town, if you count the included internet, breakfast and dinner. They were a little bit pushy with the tours and the service was not great (very hard to find someone to speak to, cleaners coming in the room without knocking etc.). About the food I can only say that you get what you pay for (not much). Breakfast is usually good, dinner not really, so we often went somewhere else. We loved the location (from our room we had the view over the main plaza) and the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luna_infierma
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Least expensive option... I booked through hotels.com the night before and had no problems checking in. The room is spacious, the bathroom is clean and the shower had great pressure. It includes breakfast and dinner!!! It is right in front of the main plaza and the people in the hotel will offer you great tours or will guide you where to go in case you want to tour by yourself.
Internet and parking is free.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family