“What an amazing quirky place - peace and tranquility at it's best.”
Review of Haweswater Hotel

Haweswater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Bampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2013

You'd never find this hotel in a million years. The road leading to the hotel is an 8 mile strech which leads to a dead end. The hotel being right in the middle.
If you want hustle and bustle, night life, sauna, swimming pool of jaquzzi go somewhere else, if you want peace and tranquility with fantastic service, then this is the place.
It's hard to describe the decor of the hotel, it's neither modern or old fashioned..
You look in one corner and can see something remisant of the 1930's, and in the next corner the 70's, or 80's and then modern day.
It's not chiq, it's not old, it's not ultra modern...... it's quirky, and I like that.
Rather than numbers, the rooms appear to be named as local places of interest.
Our room (Artle Crag), was a little small, but clean, functional and adequate.
Some rooms apparently have whirlpool baths, but alas ours didn't, but to be fair, who goes to a hotel for a whirlpool bath ?
Every one of the staff we met were really friendly, and helpful.
It has a few characters.
Our evening staff were Michael, I think John, and a new guy who was there on his first night.

What a team, The new guy was still learning the ropes and all apologetic, The other man (who i think was called John, I feel awful for not remembering his name), was so funny. He had us chuckling at his stories, and then there was Michael who was so friendly and accomodating.
Within 10 minutes, we felt that we'd known him for months.
We met a few of the girls on the morning shift, who were all also really nice, friendly and very helpful.
All of the staff couldn't do enough for you.
The food. Wow. My compliments to the chef.
Because the hotel is a little isolated, we decided to stay in house and eat (normally, we'd go for a walk around).
The food here is really nice. My wife and myself ate there for both evenings of our stay and were really impressed with the quality of the food.
And breakfast was more than ample with a choice of juices, cerials, toast and full breakfast.
The sausage was particularly nice.
I was hoping to grab some shots of the red squirrels, and whilst the squirrels were tough enough to brave the inclement weather, I wasn't,. So I missed the oppotunity to photograph them.
However..... On Saturday night, we were greeted with the presence of a Badger, who apparenty is a frequent evening visitor to the squirrel feeding station.
In almost 50 years, this was my first real live close up badger. Amazing.

I've visited a number of hotels in my time as a tourist or for work, some of which have made an impression, and some havn't.
Did this one... I'd say yes.
Not because it's ultra modern or it has loads of facilities (it has niether), but becuase it's peaceful, it's quirky, the food is good, it makes a great base for the lakes and the staff are brilliant.
Would I go back again ?
We plan on going back in the spring of 2014.

I have one very minor critism..
The TV reception in the room is shocking,.
Whilst we didn't go there to sit and watch TV all day, it's usually nice to watch a little TV whilst relaxing or getting ready to go down to eat etc.
The sky reception was on and off every 30 seconds.

Room Tip: Just go and enjoy it.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Lovely peaceful setting,google earth it,some may feel too isolated but not us we loved it. The room was very nice with a jacuzzi bath which I used on both days of our stay(KGB deal).The food was good,we found this hotel a little quirky with overtones of Fawlty Towers and the League of Gentlemen, but in the nicest way.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scotlasseng
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a short stay on a Wowcher deal, it was a good deal, but had a rear facing room with resultant noise from staff activities and boiler vent. Having had that experience would deffinately re-book, with the following changes ; 1, book a lake facing room. 2, stay for longer. 3,choose longer daylight. The terrace overlooking the water was brilliant with plenty of local bird life and Red Squirrels being a bonus and would love to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere for longer. Being quite remote only adds to this hotel's attraction and popularity especially where walkers are concerned and those who sit back and take in the scenery and wildlife. Get a breakfast table near the window and enjoy a fantastic view as you eat good food. The hotel is themed on " art nou-veau " and is quite attractive and well presented. Just one thing I felt needs attention is that the bathroom floor in the room " Rosgill " needed a " scrubbing brush with some Elbow Grease "behind it, I did not complain as it was a trvial thing. Staff were friendly and helpful.Just try this hotel I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just choose a Lake Facing room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just like Bolton 2013 we stayed in the Lakeland room overlooking the water. Have to agree with all they have said which I've only read since returning from the break over the weekend. The weather was mixed but we enjoyed a restful stay. Word of warning we were caught up in major delays on the M6 so arrived in the dark. The 6 miles or so from Shap was a bit hairy and you have to hope there will be nothing coming the other way in those conditions as the road is very narrow. We only just warrived in time 7.45pm for an evening meal. Food excellent and staff lovely. We also stayed on a KGB deal but beware to forewarn them if you intend to take advantage of the free bottle of red wine with the meal.

Will definitely return but only on a deal as the tariff prices are way too expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony to enjoy the views regardless of the weather
1  Thank Mikenwend
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I treated my husband to two nights at the Haweswater Hotel and I got a good deal with KGB on a lake view room.
I will start with the location: This hotel is away from the main tourist attractions of the Lake District and is some way from "civilisation" but I had done the research before arriving so I was not surprised at this. Unless you want a fair drive in the evening I would recommend staying at the hotel to eat. There is an outstanding view from the hotel over Haweswater which is a reservoir not a lake. The hotel is extremely quiet as there are no neighbours and the road is extremely quiet since it leads to a dead end. This is the place to go if you want a break away from it all in a very picturesque location so please do not be disappointed there is no night life! There are some lovely birds to see and red squirrels which unfortunately had gone into hiding whilst we were there.
Now for the accommodation: The hotel is well maintained and nicely decorated. Our room was Lakeland which is equipped with a lovely bathroom - a whirlpool bath and a fantastic flat screen TV to watch whilst you are luxuriating in the bubbles, a great waterfall shower and modern sleek décor. The bedroom itself is not large but has a shared balcony and again a flat screen TV with Sky (not brilliant reception but you are in the middle of nowhere) and free strong Wifi. We would have preferred a larger bed and better lighting but these are only small issues. I would also like to see a better range of toiletries provided in such a luxurious bathroom - maybe hair conditioner and moisturiser etc - just to add a nice touch. The room was quite cold probably due to the old single glazed windows that led onto the balcony. The hotel in general was quite cold as the weather had turned but the heating hadn't come on.
Food: We ate in the restaurant on both nights and had no complaints at all. All the food I had was delicious. I had the lamb on the first night which was generous and slow cooked to perfection and on the second night the Cumberland sausage which was lovely. My husband had the steak and ale pie which he said was great too and then the lamb on my recommendation. Deserts were very nice - the best was the chocolate brownie which was possibly the best I have tried! The choice is not massive but for two nights it's ample. Breakfast was very good - lots of choice and well cooked. Fantastic poached eggs!
Staff: We were greeted by a gentleman on the Thursday afternoon who seemed to be doing lots of different jobs throughout the day and evening. He was pleasant and hard working and attentive. The other staff we came across were all pleasant and we had no complaints.
Would we return? Definitely on a deal but we would struggle to pay full prices.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are obviously the ones to go for if you can.
1  Thank bolton2013
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here on a KGB £99 deal for two nights midweek bed and breakfast and really enjoyed it. The hotel was probably less than a third full so was quiet and relaxed. No children allowed! The bar was very quite after 21.30 while we were there.

The hotel staff are down to earth, pleasant and helpful. We were told that they were at least two members short so everyone was doubling up, serving in the bar and in the restaurant.

Food was excellent, nice dining room and reasonably priced. Breakfast was cooked to order and very good. Bar had no real ales but had bottles of Wainwright, Duechers and Black Sheep which were about £3.30 a bottle - available from a chiller but if you ask they have them I chilled through the back.

We stayed in the Thornthwaite room on the first floor which overlooked the reservoir and which was great overlooking the bird feeders below with a regular nuthatch and other usual tits and chaffinches. Even a wren lurking in the bushes. Unfortunately, no red squirrels seen whilst we were there though other guests were luckier.

The bedroom was reasonably well equipped although the blind may not be long for this world. The bathroom was modern and well equipped with a jacuzzi bath which we didn't bother with and a fine hot shower.

You will not get a mobile signal but the free wifi was fine.

As others have said, the hotel is very isolated on a dead end road to the car park at the southern end of Haweswater. So we eat in both nights to avoid driving anywhere but the food was good so it wasn't a hardship! If you don't want to go walking there are all the Lakes attractions within 30-45 minutes but I would mention that Lowther Castle and Gardens are well worth a visit and you will probably pass thought the estate depending on your route to the hotel. Lovely walks and views and a very interesting history. Plus lots of red squirrels! Interesting cafe and shop.

The hotel is a little 'tired' in places but functional. The single glazed metal windows can be a bit draughty but our bedroom had a very efficient wall heater in addition to a boxed in radiator so I suspect the central heating is possibly inadequate later in the season. Must be great to be there in winter with roaring fires and snow covered mountains.

Didn't see the Golden Eagle but one of the staff said he had helped take the hide down for the winter ( in the RSPB reserve at the end of the lake). One couple had done the reservoir circular walk which had taken them 7 hours but very enjoyable. We didn't bother because the weather was not brilliant.

Would definitely consider returning if another offer came up.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank weasal
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Four of us stayed for 2 nights on voucher deal (£99 for 2 nights instead of the advertised £223 per night). The hotel has 20 rooms. We stayed in the Burn Banks Inn room on the second floor whilst our friends were below us in High Street. Each room was advertised as a suite, meaning that it had a space with a couple of comfortable chairs. Both rooms had jacuzzi baths and great showers, with views down the lake. We had a heated towel rail and a basic (fixed to the wall) hairdryer; whilst they had a TV in the bathroom and more complimentary hair/face products. Their room had a small balcony but sadly the weather didn't allow us to test it out. WiFi was OK but TV reception poor.

We ate in the restaurant on both nights (other options are very limited) and were generally very happy with the reasonably priced fayre, although the standard seemed to vary depending on which chef was on duty. Breakfast was excellent.

We found the bar very comfortable, especially on he night when the fire was lit.

It took us just over 4 hours to walk around the reservoir. The permissive footpath on the eastern side is closed until further notice so we had to resort to the road instead.

Haweswater has the only resident eagle in England. His name is Eddie...

Room Tip: Go for a suite with a view of the lake, but don't pay full price.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bampton
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
#9 of 11 in Penrith
Kings Arms Hotel
Kings Arms Hotel
#2 of 2 in Shap

Been to Haweswater Hotel? Share your experiences!