“C2C Stop”
Review of Crown & Mitre Inn

Crown & Mitre Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Bampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Arrived very tired after a long walk in the worst weather from Glenridding. Luckily luggage had already arrived by the time we got there so unlike most of the other walkers we were able to get warm and changed on arrival. Limited drying options provided - boots only.
Food good although ordered packed lunch had been given to someone else when we came to leave.
We had a superior room - on the left at the top of the stairs - and it was good. Feedback from others was that the standard rooms were small.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jane S, Owner at Crown & Mitre Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Sorry we gave your packed lunch to someone else, although I am presuming we didnt let you leave without making up another for you! The rooms at the back are small I admit, but I believe that they are comfortable and well appointe. We do have a lounge area downstairs with an open fire at this time of year, which is always a good alternative, especially with a pint of one of our local real ales.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

After long walk from Patterdale what a fab place to stay.Our room was at the front of the pub opposite the church and what a spacious, comfortable room it was...big ensuite and sofa ! Owners very welcoming especially manager who bent over backwards to make our stay memorable...Bar and restaurant welcoming, friendly locals and superb food especially breakfast.highly recommended place to stay! Ear plugs supplied and used not for bar noise but church bells! Delightful early alarm.....enjoy

Room Tip: Definitely large room at front of pub.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Those earplugs do come in handy! Hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Having eaten here when we stayed in the Bampton Tea Room on our coast to Coast walk last year, we decided to stay here a couple of nights to have another walk around the lake. The staff were very friendly and the food was fantastic. Our room was a bit cramped, but very nice, and we enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay, hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here one night and enjoyed everything about my stay. My room was small but clean. The food was good and enjoyed their selection of local ales and cider. Many locals gather around the bar area. The restaurant is dog friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Jane S, Owner at Crown & Mitre Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a fantastic pub which serves great food and some terrific beer.

Because the Zombie Zone company town of Burbanks has no pub - indeed, almost no anything - like many Coast To Coast walkers we took a little diversion over to Bampton Grange in order to sleep here and split the otherwise quite long trek on to Shap. It's a very slightly tedious road walk - though the open, post-Lakes landscape is very pretty. At the last minute it gets much nicer when you can cut across fields on a footpath and then you make a triumphal entry into BG by a rather grand bridge - and there's your lovely pub, right opposite the church.

We felt very much welcomed as walkers at the Crown & Mitre, and it was pure bliss to sit outside it, round the back, with a pint. The food was excellent so we had a great dinner and were sent on our way the next day fortified with a filling and delicious breakfast.

Our room was nice enough but felt a bit tucked away, like a bit of a design afterthought or a later conversion. Not massive but perfectly comfortable. The interesting bit came as the evening got later and drinking continued - it turned out that we were directly above the nice spot where we'd had our earlier pint, and indeed it felt and sounded like the drinkers were pretty much in the room with us. I now know a lot more about a couple of people's personal lives than I really wanted to, and believe me it certainly wasn't the quick five-minute summary either.

Now let's be fair here - this is a pub, people drink and chat, it was a Friday night. Nothing unreasonable happened. Another night I could have been one of those people telling all in a merry and boozed-up state. All I'm saying is that I could have done with a bit more kip that night, and maybe I would have asked for a different room had I been forewarned. But I still think this is a great place, and I'd cheerfully go back there - I'd just take earplugs, or ask for a room elsewhere, or else try to match the alcohol intake of the chatty people!

So, on balance, thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Check your booze input and room location against weekend chatty people downstairs! :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Oh dear sorry about the noise outside your room. I believe the weekend you were staying was the one with the local wedding at a near by venue, as a result we had a lot of customers in the bar that night celebrating the forth coming nuptials! I do try to keep an eye out for any who may be a little loud, but must have missed yours that night. Do hope their life story was worth it! If it's of any help to those reading this reply we now have ear plugs in every room.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We've stayed here three times now and I still think it's faultless. Fantastic food in the bar (try the steak pie - the small version is still more than most people can manage), huge comfy beds, radiators to dry off clothes from the fells, and the friendliest staff. It's ideally placed for haweswater and the Coast to Coast but only 10 mins from the M6. If I have one quibble it's the church clock chiming every 15 mins but they did supply earplugs for that.

Room Tip: If you're as loaded with stuff as us then it's worth paying a few quid extra for one of the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

There is no doubt about it the steak pie, (otherwise known as cow pie or a desperate dan) is a great favourite with everyone. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and isn't it great we are so convenient for the M6, yet so peaceful and quiet. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have recently been on holiday in the local vicinity and visited this Inn for evening food and real ale (no overnight stay). We were very impressed by the quality and service - so much so, that we went back a few days later.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jane S, Owner at Crown & Mitre Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you glad you enjoyed it!

Been to Crown & Mitre Inn? Share your experiences!