Crown & Mitre Inn
$195
$128
$94
  • Restaurant
All reviewscoast to coast walkthe pubevening mealsteak ale piesmall villagehome cookedreal alefantastic foodtwo nightsdrying roomdouble roomcouple of nightsfeel very welcomea lovely staytwo night staypacked lunchfull english
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just arrived home from 2 night stay here and more than happy with our visit. This hotel allows dogs to stay too but the room was spotless, not over large but then we booked standard room. Food was delicious, many thanks to all the staff who were friendly, courteous & attentive. Pretty village, super location for the walks we had planned, saw plenty of red squirrels too. Many thanks!

Room Tip: The church bells really aren't that intrusive but if you're a very light sleeper perhaps ear plugs should be already in your suitcase :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jane S, Owner at Crown & Mitre Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Oh gosh thank you after our last review I thought something had gone seriously wrong! We do have earplugs if they are not in your room (which they should be) then please ask for them!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I initially settled down to write a detailed review of this place, because I wanted to describe why it was such a disappointment without sounding like minor whinging and nit-picking. But honestly, I cannot be bothered, so here are the bullet points.

1. Wear high-visibility clothing or talk loudly if you want your dinner order taken. I sat for 35 minutes waiting for one of the staff to come to my table - in the meantime a family group had arrived at the next table, had their order taken, delivered and had reached dessert. In the end I had to go up to the bar.

2. Dinner was OK but not exciting, and took an amazing amount of time to come. I ordered a smoked duck salad and a greek salad; both of which feature assembly rather than cookery, so should have been out in a trice. They did not seem unduly busy, by the way.

3. Don't expect a cooked breakfast - all that is on offer is a fairly tired buffet with yoghurt pots and processed cheese. If by chance you open the "Welcome to the hotel" book in the room they do tell you this - "We hope you like our interesting approach to your first meal of the day" to paraphrase - and add "if you want a cooked breakfast let us know on arrival" (the last two words underlined for emphasis). So you have been warned. Tell them ON ARRIVAL if you want bacon and eggs.

When I came down for breakfast to the above spread, and couldn't attract the attention of the nice woman busy talking to the only two other people in the restaurant, I made my decision and checked out without breakfast.

I really wanted to like this place, but I don't expect to be treated as if I am wearing my invisibility cloak and I don't expect to have to read the small print on arrival if I want a decent breakfast (guys - a good Cumbrian breakfast is a treat and part of the reason people come to places like this, so do it well, OK?).

The fact that I did not stay for the intended second night and didn't even bother with breakfast should tell you how low is the likelihood that I will return. Oh, and the final straw - when I was presented with the bill they hadn't taken off the £25 deposit that I had paid on booking. Very Disappointing!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Pen_not_Sword

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations please accept our apologies. Our staff were aware on the evening you stayed with us that something wasn't right and I believe they tried to ask you if they could help. Your reply was that we would find out on Trip Advisor.

All reviews are important and yours will be the discussion in our next staff meeting.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

lovely location, great food, friendly people but the room (we had no4 for 3 nights) was too small. 3m x 3m at most. apparently you need to have a dog with you to get a larger room but my wife is too good looking which is why we were given a cupboard. Very poor phone & web signals if you need them as we did to keep in touch with the family

Room Tip: check in on your own if you have a good looking wife/girlfriend and let them in when you have the key. rooms at the front are next to the lovely church but it chimes every quarter of an hour so take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. we were doing the coast to coast walk and were so tired there could have been an earthquake and we would have slept threw it
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Erm, have to say was a little confused by this one! The room you were in was one that we allow dogs into, the superior rooms we keep dog free for those who are allergic to dogs (those are the bigger ones). You are quite right about the mobile phone signal being bad, but we do allow guests to use the pub phone. The WI-fi is ok downstairs but I do think we need to look at a booster to improve upon the signal upstairs so will get a younger member of staff on to that. Thanks for your feed back

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Back again at the Crown & Mitre, missed the food, ambiance and staff over the last twelve months. Great to see 'The Desperate Dan' steak pie was still on the menu had to eat first night there, still a winner.
The Staff, rooms and drinks are still as good if not better, this visit was pleasure not work, next year back to work at the 'Lowther Show' looking forward to being back already.
Keep up the standard......

Room Tip: room at the back if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul D

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We keep returning every year to this oasis in the country for numerous reasons. Great Value, Great Staff & Owner, Great Food and Drink and Comfortable Surroundings. Yes - despite some of the moans about the church bells from visitors to the establishment, after a good meal and a few drinks at night you forget all about it, but remember you are out in the country and the sounds and smells are what the countryside is all about. It is always busy and everyone is friendly, so that tells you a lot about the place. We also stayed in July this year with family and everything was spot on then to. The Steak Pie or Desperate Dan/Cow Pie is a firm favourite and is not to be missed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndrewK996
Jane S, Owner at Crown & Mitre Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

It was lovely to see you again, and I hope you had a lovely day at the Lowther Game Fair, the rain held off....whoopee!

Thanks for your review, and you will be pleased to know that I have in a supply of ear plugs for light sleepers!

See you soon, Jane