“visit”

Animalarium at Borth
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Borth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a small zoo in mid-Wales, between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth, only a short walk from the Borth railway. Visit us for a day to remember!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We visited in early may this year.. walked around and the animals kept coming up to the cage when we walked past.. we were ready to go back to the caravan then realised u could feed the animals.. my wife was a littel scared when she gave the food.. i loved the meercats.. they stood on there back legs and took the food gently... what a wonderful place.. would recomend to visit

2  Thank juliecox123
There are newer reviews for Animalarium at Borth

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We visited today while staying at a local caravan park, the place was great for our 2 year old son who really enjoyed feeding, touching and holding the animals.

We felt it was a good sanctuary for these animals who would otherwise have had no where to go....ok from other comments they don't have the best in conditions but the staff are doing their best with what they have and they care! If it had money then the animals would be living in best of conditions.

Don't be put off by the negative comments, go and support the wonderful work that these people are doing....enjoy your day!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been here several times in the past and enjoyed this visit. The cost is steep but the zoo is small and everything in it does take a lot of looking after. The zoo is very small which is good in its own way. the displays and shows are very interesting and the kids love it. Look for vouchers in the tourist leaflets which can be used to reduce the cost. Ill be back again with the kids next year no doubt. Took my little dog around which amused a lynx who wanted to 'play' with him and an owl who I think fancied dog for tea.

1  Thank Dave T
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We visited the Borth Animalarium on 22 August 2012 with our two grandsons and son and daughter-in law which cost £56 for our party plus another £4 for four tiny pots of veg to feed the animals. Not a good start.
The animal displays ranged from good to poor with some animals and birds housed in inadequate cages.
I know that this is an animal sanctuary for unwanted pets but keeping some of these creatures penned up in small cages is far from improving their quality of life.
The general appearance of the place is rather shoddy and it lacks the finesse of a well managed operation.
Most of the staff we met were helpful and informative when questioned.
Although the cafeteria was pretty basic the service and food was okay and the staff polite and helpful.
In all if you want to take the kids somewhere for a couple of hours and they are interested in animals it might just be worth the cost.

3  Thank Joe L
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I looked for a review for Borth animalarium before we visited a few weeks ago, there wasnt any so I requested that Trip Advisor make a slot for it. Ive just checked back now and Im glad to see some reviews although Im disappointed that some are so negative.

I went with OH, my 4 and 2 year old sons and our 10 month old daughter. We drove from Welshpool, as although Ive been to Borth many times Id never been to the Animarium.

I agree the entry fee is maybe a bit steep but what you have to remember is these animals have all been taken in and rescued as they were unwanted by owners or zoos. Now they have to feed and look after them somehow and they are well looked after! I was more than happy to pay because its for a good cause and I strongly disagree that its a money making set up, animals cost money to care for, food, bedding, vets bills etc. One thing I noticed is the staff are dedicated and really care about the animals, they may not have top class exhibits or brilliant facilities but all credit to them for making the most of what they do have!

I loved the fact you can buy pots of food and feed the animals, there are not many places where they allow you to do that. The pygmy monkeys are adorable, smaller than my hand and you can touch them too. The playgrounds are great, my boys loved the diggers in the sand pits. They have a good mixture of animals here from a leopard to rats.

Dont miss the reptile talk, my sons got to touch and hear all about tortoises, turtles, snakes, lizards and my 4 year old had a python around his neck. They fully involve you in the talk which is very informative and fun, even funnier when the Parrot decided to steal the show!

We also got to see the cat feeding, watching the leopard jump up to grab the meat from a big wooden pole was amazing seeing him jump that high. The smaller cats got fed on dead chicks, from farms where they would otherwise be thrown away (all this was fully explained) and even the meerkats had them for there dinner. They have crocodile feeding twice a week which we saw too (we went on a saturday).

Yes I agree the bigger animals dont have much room, it was sad to see the bigger cats pacing from boredom but at least they are cared for and quite obviously loved. We didnt eat here so I cant comment on that, but icecreams were cheap enough.

It was a lovely few hours out and very informative and relaxed. There isnt anything else in Borth to do really so this place is a credit to the town. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I wasnt expecting to in all honesty. Def worth a look, ignore the negative reviews and go and support this place!!

1  Thank proccie