“amazing all around”
Review of The Bangala

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Karaikudi
The Bangala
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Karaikudi
Reviewed February 21, 2013

After traveling for 4 hard days in the North of India, this was surely a great place to land softly. It turned out that my travel partner developed a sinus infection en route and when we arrived approx dinner tine at The Bangala, she basically needed to head staright to bed. The owner and front desk staff were immediately responsive and understanding. The whole next day, I was nurturing my travel partner who was bed ridden under the caring and watchful eye of all the staff... by the following day when she wasn't any better, we were escorted personally to the nearest hospital where we finally got the antibiotics she needed (this was a whole other amazing experience!!!)

The Bangala exceeds expectations and coming from North America where good customer service is expected for paying good money, we can certainly learn a thing or 3 from the people at The Bangala. This is all not to mention the very clean rooms, amazing swimming pool and of course the world class cuisine with a down to earth attitude. I will be back!

Room Tip: Regardless of the amazing Hotel, it is still in a location where honking is prevalent and roosters...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Bangala was recommended to us by friends and initially it was everything that we imagined it to be. Very homely, beautiful simple layout, big airy rooms, and a beautiful pool.

The rooms are large with beautiful furniture and extremely clean.
Well equipped with ample light, fans, ac and geyser. However, the geyser is rather small and you tend to run out of hot water in the middle of your bath. So all hopes of having a long hot bath go out the window.

The food is absolutely delicious but it's a fixed menu and on the expensive side. Any requests you may have (likes or dislikes) should be told to the staff well before time so they can cook accordingly. Only down side is there is no choice to have a small meal so if you decide to eat at the Bangala and are not that hungry you have to still pay the meal cost of Rs700.

Staff are courteous but sometimes too courteous and tend to hover around you during meal times which makes you feel like you should hurry up and eat and a tad bit uncomfortable.

I went ahead and had a massage, but it was well below expectation and would not recommend it to guests.

The big negative was that we were asked to check out early, even though the check out time was noon, because they had a group coming in. I thought this was extremely unprofessional and left a bad taste in our mouths.

Overall, I think it is a little on the expensive side, but a beautiful property to stay on if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank a_kariappa
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was one of the best family holidays we've ever had. The staff at the Bangala were welcoming and anxious that we have a wonderful time with them and they did all they could to ensure that happened. The food was outstanding as was the service. Rooms were clean, large and airy and the perfect place to relax after the wonderful evening meal. The pool area is another delight and was the place we gravitated to after lunch. I will certainly go back to the Bangala. My family and I just can't stop raving about the whole experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Outstanding service and authentic food. Superb swimming-pool. Large bedrooms and bathrooms. Owner arrange visits of the area. On a next trip, shall return to that place. What a privilege to sit in the garden and have a drink.

Room Tip: Lift available for rooms on 1st and 2nd floors.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had gone to this place on a business trip with some of my friends. I had heard a lot about the delicacies of Chettinad and was a bit anxious since I heard that the food was spicy, but little did I know that my taste buds were in for an extraordinary experience with native Chettinad cuisine. I cannot stop raving about the tasty food at 'The Bangala'! Though I do wonder if the traditional 'hot n spicy' cuisine has been toned down multiple notches to placate the tastes of foreigners and folks like me. I could not help blurting out to my friends lunching with me, that I wished I had a couple of add-on stomachs that I could attach when I came across food like this!
The rasam there was the best I had ever tasted in my life. It just could not have gotten more perfect. And I've had rasam probably every other day of my life in the last 25-27 years.
Every other dish was absolutely relishing and finger-licking awesome. The only disappointment was the desert. The ice cream and gulab jamoon was just not upto the standard.
The ambiance was superb. With greenery around and lots of flowering shrubs, a clean swimming pool with crystal-clear water. The place transcends one to a different era with the calm and quiet. The modernity around is the only reminder of the times.
I have promised myself to go with my family to 'the Bangala' when I get an opportunity the next time.
Bottom line, 7* food at 3* rates in this distant and quiet part of Tamil Nadu.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have tried The Bangala, for a dinner.
We are truly delighted with the following:

Excellent spread
Delightfully presented food
Lovely delicacies of authentic fare
Warm, genuine, hospitality, characteristic charm offensive of Ms.Meenakshi Aachi( as she is lovingly called)
Right ambiance; accentuated with ethnic high quality items

We had taken food at Saratha Vilas, Visalam and Bangala. Must say that Bangala is the best when it comes to food quality and overall experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have visited the Bangala a number of times - I love it.

Presided over by the wonderful, charming and engaging Meenakshi who supervises with amazing attention to detail.

Nothing is too much trouble - this is a very special place to stay in a wonderful and interesting part of South India.

Room Tip: All rooms are good - there is a new wing
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karaikudi
8 mi away
#2 of 2 in Kanadukathan
Chidambara Vilas Chettinad
Chidambara Vilas Chettinad
#1 of 4 in Pudukkottai

Been to The Bangala? Share your experiences!