“Last option for just a night's stay, but check if ceiling fans are provided, funny isn't it?”
Review of Udhyam Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Karaikudi
Udhyam Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Karaikudi
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were 15 people and were in hunt for a decent, budget accommodation in Karaikudi, the land of the famed Chettinadu bungalows. We had initially wanted to book another newly refurbished hotel, but unfortunately due to ongoing cinema shooting, we had to opt for this. Of course, the location was great, bang on Karaikudi's most happening road. The facade was also neat, with a parking space where 4-5 cars can be easily parked if devoid of other encroachments, but all good things ended there. We had booked 5 double a/c rooms, but most of the a/cs were running for namesake. We could not bear it even in February. Remotes were not provided. Only on demand, you are provided with an a/c remote. The rooms were of reasonable size though. THREE OUT OF FIVE ROOMS DID NOT EVEN HAVE SIMPLE CEILING FANS. Can you believe it, that too in a hot town like Karaikudi. There was not even a semblance of regret on the staff's faces. The response was kind of what if fans are not there, a/c is there. Agree we were a large party, but that does not justify the absence of fans. Washrooms were so so and old fashioned. The flush in the closet was not working and the toilets were stinking. On the brighter side, room service was reasonable and hot water facility available by 6 AM. Better avoid, but if no other go just make it a last option, ok for a night's stay. Lift available. Did not see a restaurant.

Room Tip: Before you check in, ask if fans are provided in your room. I know it is a difficult/funny question...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MaheshSundaram

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Book rooms thru stayzilla.reception was simple and down to earth.the glum but friendly male receptionist handed me two keys for a ac room after a quick glance of the room confirmation letter.before I could lay my hands a scruffy man came from nowhere snatch the keys with my bag on his head signaling me and my wife to follow him to third floor up the stairs as the lift is not functioning due to a normal power cut for two hours.
I explain to the receptionist that I can handle the three floors even though I am 61,but my wife has knee problems so I requested for a lower floor.but the man still with my luggage on his head explained to me that all the lower floor ac room are under renovation only the third floor was avaiable and I can choose any one of the two offered or rest in the hotel restaurant for about 15 to 20 minutes till the power cut return to normal and promised to safeguard the luggage.I accepted the deal and realized why the man ask me to rest in the restaurant for the hotel lobby reception area do not have chairs or sofas.
The hotel restaurant entrance is outside the hotel building beside a jewellery shop and sundry shop.with the power on in about 10 minutes we return to a smiling man with two rooms keys who lifted us to one of the room and politlely told to check the furniture,air condition,lights,water heater before accepting the room.the room was clean and tidy with all electrical items working well and the tv having about 20 Tamil language channels to choose.for in singapore I have only the choice of only 5 Tamil language channel.the smiling man even service us with two extra pillows at no extra charge.and I still feel bad that I tip him only 10 rupees for all his service.

Room Tip: Take the ac rooms.the non ac rooms has no heaters.towels and soap are not given.but the room is airy...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank karuppiah2249
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We a family of 4,from Cheras K.L Malaysia stayed in Udhyam Hotel from tvery he 21st.Dec & 22nd.Dec. The rooms(2) were big, air-conditioned,queen size beds,clean toilets very polite staff,good room service.Anyone travelling in Karaikudi wiill enjoy the beautiful surroundings,people ,shopping areas,temples are one of the best features we enjoyed not forgetting the tasty,spicy Chettinad food.We were taken aback by the beautiful Koppadai Amman temple.Karaikudi could be excessed from Madurai or Trichy or Chennai via bus,train or flight.You can enjoy the early morning single tea at the roadside stalls as the tea is mixed with pure,fresh original cow's milk that i really enjoyed.The market square which is just a working distance away is one place you should not miss,as the are full of fruit shops,stalls,flower stalls.The entire area will aromatic with the smell of a mixture of fruits(fresh),flowers,incence sticks,freshly cooked varieties of food and a lot more. We felt really at home and left with fond memories.If any of you would like to know more,please fell free to contact me.ARASU. [--]I am enclosing some photos of our visit.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
17  Thank Arasu58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karaikudi
Hotel MVV Residency
#2 of 5 in Karaikudi
Brindhavan Residency
Brindhavan Residency
#2 of 15 in Karaikudi

Been to Udhyam Hotel? Share your experiences!