“Second to NONE”

Georges Blanc Parc & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vonnas
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Our second visit to this extraordinary and wonderful hotel. On arrival with friends we were disappointed with the size of one of the rooms but were told the hotel was full. Nonetheless the wonderful front desk manager; Christine, effortlessly and with utmost professionalism offered an upgraded room at no additional charge and defused any upset that might have occured. Such members of staff, are, frankly, so valuable that they must be treasured.
I cannot praise this hotel highly enough.
Service is at the highest level, rooms cleaned twice a day, gardens stunning, village picture perfect but the star of the show is the cuisine. I am priviledged to have eaten at many Michelin restaurants in ,any countries but George Blanc remains amongst the best. The service is sleek, chic and effortless and illustrates this fine French art form. The food sublime (you cannot leave without eating the Bresse chicken in fois gras & champagne sauce - the dish created by M. Blanc for the G7 summit) - it is simply delicious. As is the speciality Frogs Legs in honour of Mama Blanc. Expensive, yes but you will remember for a long time a meal of such quality and content. George Blanc makes it his business to visit each guest at during dinner and a signed menu is left in each room. Wine list is staggering but I must confess that some wines were overpriced (even for this establishment 6 a comment I make with some knowledge as my husband is a collector).
Likewise lunch or dinner in the Blanc Auberge (just across the street) is fantastic. The salmon trout cooked to perfection - the Lyonnaise Quinelle in lobster sauce just perfect and all desserts give the dieter no chance!
Fantastic outdoor pool set in the little park which itself is elegantly landscaped and include the hotel's herb and vegetable garden. If blessed with good weather there is full service around the pool and the delightful breakfast room becomes equally lovely for light lunches.
Vonnas is close to both the Montrechet and Pouilly areas so for wine lovers this is a trip of dreams.
It is not a cheap adventure but one of value and immense style.
I cannot wait to return and fail to understand the comments made by the previous reviewer:

Room Tip: Ensure you are clear as to the size of room you require. The view of the river is preferrable but th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cheryl G

Reviewed February 9, 2012

We really liked the bed linen and swimming pool (hammam was out of order though). The reception staff was quite helpful but tended to exhibit a unique attitude ("I am way too cool for this job and what kind of poor chap are you anyway"). The size of the room was alright but acoustic insulation was poor (you will hear the first person operate the electric blinds) and amenities in the bathroom substandard. You might also be able to smell breakfast from the comfort of your bed. Overall clearly overpriced and in somewhat fake village. Would not stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Londonsense
directionvonnas, Responsable réception at Georges Blanc Parc & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

Dear Mr, Dear Mrs,

Thank you for your comment.

We are not able to find your booking in our system, without the date of your stay and your name.

Could you please contact us, in order to find a solution to your disappointment?

Best regards,

Christine
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Spent a night on our road trip around France. The room at the hotel was well appointed with luxurious details from robes to slippers! The village was lovely, bit Disneylandlike with perfect gardens and flowers. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back.
Tip : bought some GB products at the food store for gifts and friends raved about how good they were.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Revisited this establishment again in September on our way South. Ate the Bresse Chicken Menu which was excellent and well presented but VERY filling ! If you are having Dinner here I suggest you skip Lunch.
Excellent venue for an overnight stop with good grounds and superb swimming pools (3).
Georges Blanc himself again in attendance and chatting to Diners , signing Menues etc.
All in all this really has become a superb "Resort"..that much more than just a restaurant and hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are not large so if you want space go for a "Superior" or a suite, otherwise the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank j_worrall3
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The layout of this complex, for lack of a better word, is a little confusing. Basically it's two hotels, two restaurants, a spa and a few stores that all belong to Georges Blanc.

There is a 5 star hotel and the Saules, which is three stars, on the other side of the parking lot. They use the same facilities and you check-in for the Saules at the 5 star hotel. They are listed separately but are really together (are you listening Tripadvisor??) Some of the photos here are actually of the Saules, not the 5 star.

We tried to book the 5 star but there wasn't room so they put us in the Saules. The only difference is that we had a shower, no bath, no slippers or bathrobes and there was no magnifying mirror... The rooms in the Saules were spacious and one had a balcony with a view over the stream. We heard the frogs croaking at night (not too loudly). The kids' room by contrast, overlooked an alley and they had food smells coming in. No big deal since we had the two rooms but would have been if we were only staying in that one.

There was some confusion because we wanted connecting rooms. It was a little "yes we do have them, no we don't" etc. Often in Europe, they have a door in the hall that can be closed and locked and then the two rooms can be opened. This was the case here but the bellman wasn't sure if we could close the hall door (but they came and did it for us while we were out).

You need a code for the Wifi and we had some problems getting it to work. We had to submit the code each time.

To go to the restaurants and pool, you have to go outside. There are little maps of the complex in the rooms, posted on walls and given out with the keys so take a minute and give it a glance. You wont get lost but it's better to know where you're going!

We used the indoor and outdoor pools at the spa. There is a hamman near the indoor pool. The women's locker room was very nice but small. The jacuzzi is not heated (just pool water). There is another pool at the 5 star hotel but children aren't allowed and it didn't look that different anyway.

My kids loved the grounds, running around posing with the statues and playing with the owner's cat. The gardens are very pretty and well done. Lots of water features so watch your toddlers.

I wont review the restaurant here but it was good, if expensive. Breakfast was good too but except for eggs, nothing hot.

Room Tip: Get a room in either hotel, overlooking the stream.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Calsacienne
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed 1 night only - wish it was longer ! Dinner in the restaurant celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary was superb - Mr Blanc came to our table and chatted & signed a menu which was a nice touch.
Next day relaxed at the spa & had lunch in the Auberge opposite also owned by GB which had an excellent "menu du jour " for 22 euros. We will be back !

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I think reviews are in place only when places deserve to be reviewed. Georges Blanc deserves to be commended for the tangible love and care emanating from this charming village, from this 360-degree environmental and culinary jewel. My wife and I spent a memorable weekend in Vonnas and are looking forward to going back to paradise. The Gourmet Village offers a sort of travel back in time, a relaxing dive into a charming 19 Century village atmosphere, but with modern comforts. Even though some architecture/furnishing details may have been avoided (cold hi-tech blue lights marking walkways, odd exterior's lighting, old-looking but cheap furniture, obscene carpeting coupled with exquisite floorings, fake olive trees and implausibe statues/stone embellishments, cheap table clothes, dubious taste paintings hanging on the walls) BG's Village remains a jewel worth a long travel overall. And, especially to a real gourmet, an unforgettable culinary experience meeting even the highest standards.
This is why I think it would be worth offering some negative - and hopefully productive - comments on the (very few, although important) elements that need to be improved, at least in my opinion:
SPA - I had a very good and effective "Swedish-style" massage given by a most capable professional. My ONLY intial recommendation to her - as I always do, being very much ticklish - was to please concentrate more on the upper part of the body. Everything went fine, but when paying for the massage I had to add an extra 20Euro because that "upper part only" request was considered as a "personalization"....!
DINNER (at the Michelin 3-star restaurant) - The food was indeed suberb in every aspect, but that's not the point. I love wine and, even though I would not dare defining myself an expert, I would timidly say I know my way around it. Being my wife a teetotaller, I always have to go for the by-the-glass selection. When the most professional-looking sommelier brought me the wine list, I was really impressed by the quality of the choice. Among the best I have ever seen, but with a most negative feature: as I was able to tell by comparing the prices of the brands I am more familiar with (mainly Italian, but also French, Spanish, Australian, Argentinian), the overcharge was outrageously near 10 times the value of the same bottle in a wine shop. Just as an example, a bottle of good Chianti you would normally pay between 10/20 Euro was at around 100...! Furthermore, the by-the-glass choice was limited to 1 (one!) white and 1 (one!) red. The white was passable, even though too much aged, while the red was so old and Marsalized I had to leave it almost untouched on the table (without the sommelier noticing it and taking care of asking if something was wrong). The red wine, in particular, was so old and de-structured that its dust-encrusted bottle made me think of a selection made with the aim of clearing the cellar by getting rid of solitary over-aged bottles. I know, I should have complained about it, but I'm not that kind of guy. I do not like to spoil a great dinner by having to complain to professionals that should have prevented any reason for complaining since the very beginning. The final result was 75Euro added to the bill for 2 small glasses of white and an almost untouched glass of "once-upon-a-time-good" red. I realize that complaining for wine prices once you are in such a culinary temple is like buying a Ferrari and then... complain about the price of gasoline, but I sincerely would have never expected this kind of situation in a top-class place like that that.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Momoefede
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vonnas
Hotel Le Griffon d'Or
Hotel Le Griffon d'Or
#1 of 9 in Bourg-en-Bresse
Chateau de Pizay
Chateau de Pizay
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jean-d'Ardieres
La Tour Cocooning Gastronomie Hotel Chatillon
La Tour Cocooning Gastronomie Ho...
#1 of 2 in Chatillon-sur-Chalaronne
Auberge Bressane de Buellas
Les Maritonnes
Les Maritonnes
#1 of 1 in Romaneche-Thorins
Residence des Saules
Residence des Saules
#2 of 3 in Vonnas

Been to Georges Blanc Parc & Spa? Share your experiences!