Birdsville Hotel
All reviewsbucket listiconic pubbirdsville racessix packcold beerfront bardusty roadbbq nightremote areamain barfamily roominformation centreoutback pubsgreat outbackaussie iconthree nightsgreat accommodation
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The iconic Birdsville Hotel lived up to its reputation. ie Friendly and remote. I was greeted by friendly staff and had a great room with a very comfortable bed. The rooms were very clean and well presented. The only down side is the smell from the bore water if you are not used to it. In the Hotel the staff (Russ, Sue and others) were very friendly and engaging. The food was great and so were the locals.

Room Tip: There is no better location than any other. All the rooms are situate off the main road - that is if there was any traffic anyway.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PhilK049
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have been to this hotel before on a previous visit to Australia and enjoyed our stay but on this occasion the visit was spoiled by the bad attitude and rudeness of the 2 barmen.One of them also sells the fuel for the planes and his attitude was just as bad there.It is a pity that these 2 spoiled what should have been a nice stop for lunch and re-fuel on our trip at an interesting place to visit.The poor rating is not for the hotel it is for the attitude of the barmen.

12  Thank gjrc
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We flew in for lunch and fuel during a 5 day tour with our family. We have visited before from Scotland and were looking forward to the visit as we had been there before and found the staff helpful and pleasant. However on this occasion the man serving behind the bar (who also sold the aviation fuel), went out of his way to be as rude and difficult as possible. After asking him if it was ok to bring my 11 year old daughter into the bar and him saying yes, he waited 15 minutes (allowing us to sit there) then very abruptely told me that "I told you you can't sit there. You'll have to move". After a wait for the food (which was equally disappointing and greasy), when my husband and other relative returned, they too had had problems with this same man trying to make smart comments and generally being innappropriate whilst purchasing aviation fuel. Bit of a mistake as the family member who was with us often organises tours and has used the hotel for accommodation - not any more. Sad that 1 person's behaviour can ruin the reputation of somewhere that previously has been enjoyable to visit and had been used for bespoke tours.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank SRC186525
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed three days and three nights at the Birdsville Hotel (1.4.-3.4.2013), coming from Marree on a motorcycle (see separate review on the Marree Hotel). Because so many others have already reviewed and commented on the Birdsville Hotel, I’ll keep my comments relevant and brief.

I had not booked in advance, and despite being a public holiday (Easter Monday), checking in was no problem. My mote unit (#26), including the bathroom, was clean and of adequate size. The furniture was basic, functional and contemporary. I certainly appreciated the available tea and toast making facilities. A small and tidy fridge was also handy. The air conditioning and the flat screen TV worked both fine. The room rate of AUD $135.00 was very reasonable - for the offered standard and the hotel’s location. However, I found the charge for a breakfast box (pre-packaged) of (I think) $13.00 a little steep; this service should be included in the room rate. I went to the Birdsville Bakery (a 5 minute walk) and ordered a cooked brekkie there. Although not cheap either, the coffee was ecellent. But there is good news fellow travellers: the Birdsville Hotel has started again to offer a cooked breakfasts since my departure. As for the cost, it may be around $15.00-18.00 - better check on arrival as things may have changed again. As for Internet access, this will set you back $16.50/hour. I was charged this fee despite not having used this service on my final invoice but received a refund from management without any problems.

Some fellow travellers have commented on the high prices charged by the Birdsville Hotel for alcoholic beverages. Considering the pub’s remote location, however, paying $6.00 for a can of beer is, in my experience, not overly exessive. During my stay, I also had a couple of meals and found their prices, in relation to the offered quality and the meal size, not too high. As for the staff and overall services provided, the Birdsville Hotel is in most respects a well-run establishment but not spectacular – except for its iconic reputation. Beware of taken photographs inside the front bar... according to a sign, this may cost you a shout to everyone present at the time! Management (Jeanette) and 'all-rounders' Sue + hubby, have been helpful and were always available for a chat.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Thilo K
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in a room for one night after the Simpson Desert. The hotel has a very interesting "must see" pub. The food took a long time to be prepared, but was worth the wait. We were given wine on the house because of the long waiting time. The staff were very friendly and the room was great. Good mattress on the double bed, great shower and bathroom. The room also has coffee making facilities. All in all, a great place to stay over.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are all similar and it is the only hotel in town. A great outback hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends