“Needs competition.”

Roxby Downs Motor Inn
Roxby Downs Motor Inn
“Needs competition.”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

With The price that has to be paid, it is disappointing that general maintenance isn't kept up with to help with the customer getting value for money.
As it was a long weekend our room didn't get serviced but we weren't informed of this so had to chase up clean towels but the office was closed so needed to go over to the Tavern next door. We called into the office the second morning to enquire about some tourist information but the man in reception said he just came there to work and didn't really know anything! I thought a huge part of working in hospitality was knowing some of the local tourist information!
We drove out to Andamooka on the Monday (long weekend) to find the place was basically closed until lunchtime -all in all it was an experience.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Mamaneen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Accomodation in Roxby Downs is scarce and if you travel there for work then you have no choice but to bed down at the RMI. I have been doing this for many years and it is proof that all things are in a constant state of decay. The decor is run down with stained and torn carpets, cracked and damaged furniture and rattling old air conditioning units. The staff are in their own words " Tired " and the welcome from reception is apathetic. There is a restaurant but with much better choices in the township, it is always empty. We tried the meals and the food was OK but not to the same standard as the club or better still Chives. LIke most empty restaurants the wait staff are rarely sighted, so getting a second drink means walking up to the counter.

The rooms look out onto a pool and garden areas which has a large teepee like circus type roof. This is lit up with massive floodlights at night and inside the room it was difficult to tell if it was night or day. The curtains only just cover the window/sliding door and they are not block-out. This lighting is on well past 10 at night so don't plan on sleeping well.

I would expect to pay much less to stay here and the local caravan park cabins are considerably better value. I would say to readers that you should avoid this hotel at all costs, but until there is competition in Roxby Downs, I'm afraid you have no choice.

Room Tip: Stay on the outside rooms to avoid the glaring lights.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying there over the past 5 years for my work. The rooms are tired and worn out. But still charge the earth. Monopoly. Seen 4 sets of managers which shows what sort of owners have the place. I refuse to stay anymore. I would rather stay in Pt Augusta and drive to Roxby for the day. Consider the same!!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Mikeedarwin
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Fourth Visit & could be the last. Tired, run down & lacking in basic maintenance. Tavern Staff at check-in most unhelpful (not busy at the time). Trouble with a monopoly situation. We were told manager had just departed & hopefully his replacement gets cracking or are the owners only interested in a quick buck???
Function that evening was excellant hence 2 star rating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank houhoek
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband travels for business and I often accompany him but those days are over as the thought of staying at the RDMI holds no incentive whatsoever. Over the years we have noticed the decline of the rooms and common areas to the point that it borders on depressing. Why some money isn't invested in bringing the place up to an acceptable level I'll never know - it's not like they don't charge enough! I'm not saying there needs to be a Hilton in Roxby Downs but travellers and visitors alike do deserve a comfortable, clean and modern motor inn that offers value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank maria g
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I travel extensively and stay at motels all over Australia. I have stayed at the Roxby Downs Motor Inn over 50 times from 1995 to 2011. The first few times were great because it is truly an oasis in the middle of nowhere. The motel has ebbed and flowed in terms of its offerings and service over the years but my last stay was the worst ever. I was kept awake all night by teenages in the adjacent room. Credit where it is due, these party goers were gone the next night after I complained (the first time I've ever complained at any motel anywhere).
The morning prior, I sat myself down in the restaurant for a continental breakfast and there was no milk. After requesting milk I found there was no bread. My request for these basics were met with indiffence and I was asked "how many slices of bread do you require to be micro-waved". Maybe good staff are hard to find in a booming mining town.

This place needs a total refurbishment and a change in attitude. More than that, it needs competition. The carpets are stained and the room comforts are minimal....a sofa or comfortable chair would be nice! The outdoor surrounds are neglected and rubbish is evident from the night before. If you are a tourist, go to Port Augusta. Comparably, their motels are 5 star....and cheaper!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank David M
Korumburra, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2011

It's the third time we have stayed at this place. The first couple of times it was great, but just a few weeks ago when we stayed last (mid Sept '11) we were a little disappointed. Courtyard pool dis-functional, empty and torn liner. Dead and dying plants in an unkempt garden. Litter. Drapes in rooms need attention, and the list goes on.
Now don't get me wrong, this place has been great in the past and no doubt will be again.
In our view the place needs a thorough and rapid refurbishment.
It is a unique design, and with it's central pool and courtyard area was (just a year or so ago) a really beautiful and relaxing venue on previous trips.
Before visiting again, we would have to be assured that the place had been restored to it's original condition.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NoelJean_11

Been to Roxby Downs Motor Inn? Share your experiences!