“Spectacular Views”

Type: Other
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Awesome views surround this rappelling experience into vertical space from atop Table Mountain. A must for true adventurers and thrill seekers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Spectacular Views”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Did this abseil a few years ago with my missus who had never abseiled before. To say she was nervous was an understatement. Fabulous weather and some Dutch courage aided our descent and the "surprise half way down" was particularly fun. Scariest part was the walk back up to the top with shear drops off to the right. Bought a T-Shirt as proof to our kids.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank chappopo

NJ
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Great time but too quick!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you want a different experience on table mt then do this. We were met promptly by friendly staff, that accept all major credit cards, and given a safety briefing. They even take a pic of you before you begin while hanging over the edge and post in on face boom. The abseil itself was safe and fun but over too fast. When you get to the bottom the view is pretty spectacular then you walk about a half hr back up to the top. Enjoy!

Visited March 2013
Hamburg, Germany
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great experience hiking up Table Mountain & abseiling down”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had a great time hiking up table mountain and abseiling down. The Abseil Africa team was great, the organization was flexible and easy, the guides friendly and clearly know what they're doing, the equipment is good quality and I felt secure all the way.

-------
Some more info for the interested:

Timing:
I went on a Saturday, since I was in a bit of a time crunch. If you have more time and want to avoid masses of people - do it on a weekday.

Orga:
We met at the office, then set out for Table Mountain together. If you have a car, you can park there, otherwise you go by taxi. Hiking up took about 2 hours (a little less). For the abseiling, some more people joined us. Afterwards you need to hike back up to the top (can't go down from there, neither by hike, nor cable car), which (contrary to what the guides are telling you) is not 20, but rather between 30 and 40 minutes.

Abseiling:
You abseil down 120m in a team of two at a time. They tell you to hike back up afterwards, but I decided to wait, sit on a cliff and watch the others come down. Highly recommendably :o) Great vista.

Attention the scared and inexperienced hikers:
The path is not signed (no arrows, no signs) and quite steep (upwards and down the side) at times, so if you're inexperienced or scared, you should wait for the guide to go with you when everyone has abseiled.

For everyone else:
It's a lovely hike. I actually liked it even more than the hike up Table Mountain, since there weren't any other people there and the nature has been left nearly untouched (except for the path itself obviously), thus it's more diverse.

3 Thank Nicola J
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good and bad”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had mixed feelings on this and am writing a review to warn people..as I feel I should have been warned and advised as to what was ahead.

I did the abseil on a whim..I have done a couple before near ground level, but this is something else. It is very high up! Six of us did it, and 4/6 of the people freaked out doing the abseil, it really is not for the faint hearted.

The abseil itself...safe, breathtaking, terrifying. I have vertigo, but regardless did a skydive and this abseil to try and conquer my fears and to have a challenge.

We had to wait for about 45 mins sitting on the cliff edge, whilst the various people ahead of me lost the plot and took an eternity to get down. This was a personal nightmare for me being afraid of heights! We were however harnessed so it was safe. The staff were friendly and relaxed.

However, the walk back afterwards: there is no guide, the path is not clear, there is no water, there are some points that if you you fall, you will die. The guy at the bottom just tells you to go in one direction, and we spent the next 30 mins alone walking the cliff in searing heat, no water, and I was wearing slip on shoes...totally unprepared, guessing which way to go. Suffering vertigo I was very close to seizing up..it was a real personal battle, and if you are nervous and afraid of heights you may be in serious trouble. I was stunned at we were not advised of this, and had a right go at them when I got back, but he wasn't interested.

So, if you don't mind heights, do it, it's intense, exhilarating, scary, exciting. But wear decent footwear and take some water.

If you don't like heights, be warned, as they won't warn you. You may say its my own fault for doing it with a fear of heights, but regardless, it's nice to be prepared and to know what's ahead.

5 Thank Smegmeister
Totnes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Kloofing/abseil”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A must! Sooooooooo much fun we did a combined hike, abseil and kloofing. We were picked up at 7am drove for 1.5 hours had some nice breakfast, provided with a packed lunch and then dinner on return, probable dropped back to hotel 6:30ish. Staff were really lovely, easy to talk to. I'd say it was better than the great white sharks...... Would defiantly recommend. :D