“It's been a while but I want to go back”

Queen of Montenegro
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Becici
Dublin, Ireland
“It's been a while but I want to go back”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

It's been a few years since my then boyfriend... now husband and I stayed here. Montenegro was a bit ''unusual and off the beaten track'' for us Irish but we like an adventure. We went in late August and it was scorching. All around are beautiful lush green mountains and lovely oceans. We did many water sports, boat trips and a week long Padi diving course which has stood to us over the years. The diving was very good.
The hotel was beautiful, people were so friendly. The town of Budva was very poor, we were distressed to see children lying on the streets at night and many others begging.
I did eat local sausages in a small premises down at the beach one day and unfortunately got food poisioning which had me in bed for 2 days, the food in the hotel was faultless. I also used the spa and had my nails etc done.
I would definitely love to go back, when I was there they were uilding a massive hotel beside it, maybe I'll try that this time. I also think trabsfers from Dublin have improved. When I was there circa 2008 you had to fly into Dubrovnik and get a transfer bus for 3 hrs approx.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Frankiesgirl_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tirana, Albania
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just stayed for two nights at the hotel. I can't comment on the beach experience, apart from not being the right season it was a business trip so no time for that. The location is 5km far from Budva. At first that had me a little scared for the taxi costs, but I have to say they are pretty cheap, 2-4 euro (careful when in town, ask beforehand for an estimate of the cost to the hotel, cause with some taximeters they'd ask for more, up to 8 euros, while the taxis called by the reception were the most professional as well as cheap ones).
I found the rooms to be very clean, really spotless. I'd have liked for the two single beds in my double room to be placed separately not attached to each other, esp since I was meeting my room mate for the first time. Beds were very comfortable though. Not that I care about watching TV in a hotel, but the TV screen size could've been somewhat bigger, it looked like less than 17". The bathroom has the little issue of getting all wet if you're having a shower, I saw that was remarked before and the manager said that would be fixed soon.
As for the food, well I found breakfast to be very good. Dinner was pretty rich in choice, I can't say it was the best cooking ever, but I've been several times before in Montenegro and I have to say I've found the cooking to be pretty awful everywhere, so this wasn't bad at all in comparison to other previous experiences.
Staff generally tried to be helpful, sometimes not sure they understood my English. One blemish, a colleague of mine who was staying in another room was made to pay 2.5 euro for a bottle of water from the minibar which she was sure neither she, nor her room mate didn't drink. It's not about the money itself, just that it left a little of a bad taste trying to explain that and the answer being just that she had to pay, sounding also a little rude the way it was said, though perhaps as I said before it was more the English issue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Olsi T
Clacton on Sea
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one week in mid-September. It is a lovely hotel; service and food good although may possibly be a bit repetitive if staying for two weeks. The room was very clean and the towels were changed daily. We had a sea view which was lovely. We used the beach and beach bar a few times during our stay and found the food and drink very reasonable. We loved the stars at night in the room! Montengro is a very nice country to visit. I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank essexcouple_10
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel has a casino but it is quite small and defficient. It is not so far away Budva, however you cannot say that it is close to the center. Cleanless and rooms are fine. The most amazing and shocking thing for me was coctail prices. For example a long island is €6 and its alcohol level is really good. I could drink all day and pay like €25. So in general hotel is average. If I would come again, I would choose another hotel probably. Last thing, the restaurant and food were basically bad.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ugur K
Queen_of_Montenegro, General Manager at Queen of Montenegro, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear guest,

I highly appreciate your review regarding our hotel. I am very sorry to read that you would not stay again at our hotel if coming again in Becici/Budva.

I must point out that our hotel's casino is one of he largest in Montenegro, spreading over 450 m2 surface area. It has 48 slot machines as well as 3 electronic games (Black Jack, Roulette and Texas Hold'em poker). Apart from these, there are 7 tables with live game. I am really sorry that you did not have the right opportunity to enjoy in our casino.

I am especially sorry to find out that you were not satisfied with the quality of our food, having in mind that one of our biggest efforts is to offer large variety of superb quality food and drinks.

I still hope that you would visit us some other time again and we will have the opportunity to improve your impression of our hotel.

Sincererely yours,
Toncek Remec
Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Must point out that Queen of Montenegro is in Becici and that you either have to take the bus outside or taxi to get into Budva .
Not that this is time-consuming , expensive or difficult - but use taxis beginning with 19 - they are official and costs between 2.5-5 euro each way although the unofficial can cost up to 10.
on a positive note, the walk along the coast takes about an hour or more in our case - only because we kept stopping at the bars....
The rooms are spotless , clean and spacious and for us a balcony with partial side view.
First impression of bathroom is Wow but.... until you have a shower and it sprays everywhere.....
agree with previous reviewer that there are room for improvement.
The restaurant is very crowded with coach parties and often the 2 coffee machines break down.... but food is fairly good a lot of choice but difficult to get served wine - best to order at bar upstairs and bring down to restaurant.
Staff generally very tolerant , especially when some tourists eats like vultures!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank T J
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your review about our hotel. It is my great pleasure to find out that you spent a nice holiday at our hotel. However, I would like to explain some facts which did not completely met your expectations about our hotel.

You are right that our hotel is in Becici - some 4 km away from Budva and 5 km away from The Old Town of Budva. That is exactly how we promote our location. I sincerely hope that a sales channel, from where you booked accommodation at our hotel, did not give you some other information.

Concerning your experience with the bathroom in the room, we have already taken certain actions in order to solve the problem.

Our main restaurant is the place where buffet meals (breakfast and dinner) of large variety and excellent quality are served. Yes, it can get crowdy when the hotel is full, but you can also choose to dine at reasonable prices either in our a la carte restaurant "Lokanda" or beach restaurant "Pod Murvom". I must also explain that our coffee machines are open for breakfast, for dinner espresso coffee upon order is available. I am very sorry that you were taking the wine from the aperitif bar downstairs to the restaurant. Our wine list is the same in aperitif bar as well as in the restaurant and waiters from the restaurant serve and present the wine the same way like our waiters from aperitif bar do.

I am sorry that we did not fully met your expectations, but also very glad that you had a nice holiday in general.

Toncek Remec
Brazil
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Queen of Montenegro is a large resort-style hotel in Budva. If you come in summer, prepare: the city and the beaches will be full, and probably there will be delays on the border crossing to Croatia (avoid the main border crossing to Dubrovnik if you can). The hotel provides parking for guests, but it can be difficult to get a spot if you arrive late.
The hotel itself looks new (or renovated) and is very nicely appointed. The room is nice, but not particularly stylish. The pool area is excellent, combining an indoor and an outdoor pool, but there can be a lack of seating and umbrellas for everyone. Breakfast is just average and slightly below par for this kind of property.
Service was variable: the front desk and the concierge were brilliant and went the extra mile to help us. On the other hand, the hotel has some little annoying rules: for instance, check out is very early (10 am), and you need to pay a deposit to get the towels. One of the staff was even rude to us on enforcing the latter. Do they really think that you pay almost US$200 a night to steal an old pool towel?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FernandaMaria
Mobberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

After leaving Dubrovnik airport you have a few miles of tarmac before hitting dirt roads up to the Croatia boarder (The roads are being repaired) we spent 30 to 40nmins crossing the border then a mile of no mans land to the Montenegren border and a further 20 mins to cross. Good roads in Montenegro with 35 mins to a short ferry crossing across a stunning Fjord then a further 30/40 mins to the hotel 2 hours in total.
We were more than happy with the reception at the hotel which is very smart modern with attentive staff. The transfer time made us too late for dinner but they provided a meal in the room within 10 mins of arrival.
The hotel facilities are good but the 98 steps down to the beach may prove challenging to some.
7 euros a day for 2 sunbeds towels and a sun brolly. If you stay by the hotel pool 10 euro refundable deposit for towels.
Lunch at the beach is very reasonable with sandwiches, salads pasta pizza etc for 3 or 4 euro.
Very good beer at 1.80 euro for half litre.
The buffet meals in the evening whilst not of UK restaurant standard are good wholesome and plentiful with a good enough choice foe 1 week but may be limited for a fortnight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Vincent P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Becici
Hotel Splendid Conference & Spa Resort
Mediteran Hotel & Resort
Montecasa Spa & Wellness
Montecasa Spa & Wellness
#3 of 10 in Petrovac

Been to Queen of Montenegro? Share your experiences!