“Good hotel but it's not in Budva” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Queen of Montenegro
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Becici
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good hotel but it's not in Budva”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is not in Budva as address leads you to believe. It is about 4km outside of the city. We were under the impression that we could walk from the hotel to the old city but that was not the case. Not the end of the world but I think the hotel is misleading the guests into thinking it is actually in Budva. It’s also hard to find the hotel as it is in on top of a hill and you have drive through a residential street to get to it and there are no signs pointing to the hotel. We took a taxi into the city for dinner and it cost 8 euros but the taxi back cost 18 so watch out for the local taxi drivers who are trying to take advantage of tourists. The rooms are spacious and modern. The bathroom was also modern and spacious but there was some mold around the tile above the bathtub. My room had a great view of the sea. The pool was a bit small but nice over looking the sea. I did not see the private beach the hotel owns. Sadly, we did not get to enjoy the pool or the beach because the hotel has a very strict 10:30am check out policy and they would not budge. We arrived late the night before and thought we would have the chance to have a relaxing morning at the beach before driving to Kotor but did not get to experience the facilities because of such an early check out policy. I have never staid at a hotel that made you check out so early. This is not a bad hotel but because of the misleading address and early check out policy, my experience was ruined. I wish I could have enjoyed the facilities rather than just a bed and a shower.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank AlexandriaGirl123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

When we arrived we had no idea what to expect, we weren't even that sure as to where Montenegro was, very much a spur of the moment booking. Hotel looks OK when you arrive, a little business like but clean enough....got to the room - absolutely lovely, little stars on the ceiling that light up at night, just a cute little touch...
Staff were so friendly - can't fault them, even when on a trip I had a glass of wine knocked on me by overenthusiastic staff at Romanos, the staff in the hotel got all the wine out and made my top look brand new...!
Overall, just so relaxing, food was cold every night, not sure why, but other than that fabulous and will return

Room Tip: all the rooms are good
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pip75
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

We have just returned from a week at this hotel,and it was way beyond our expectations,given some of the reviews that I read before travelling!
The staff were helpful and friendly...and yes,they smiled!
We had a few initial problems...the room key didn't work as the door battery needed changing....they did this very quickly.The sink wouldn't drain at first...and this was sorted immediately!
Our room was spacious and well equipped...the "sea view" was just a glimpse through the trees,but we spent so little time in it that this wasn't a problem!
The pool area is stunning....infinity pool with wonderful views of mountains and sea!!
Sunloungers do,however,get towels put on them early in the morning,but this happens in most hotels that we have visited.(There are lots of deckchairs and other seating)
The gym is small but adequate....it was always easy to get on the treadmill....it really needs some free weights,though!!
The breakfast was terrific.....lots of choice!! A girl makes fresh omelettes to order:there is lots of fresh fruit...as well as tinned....so no complaints there...and the home made pastries and bread are the best we've seen in a hotel this size!!
The breakfast varied each day....we never needed to buy a lunch!!
The beach was fine,but we preferred to drive to more secluded rocky bays along the coast.
There are lots of great little restaurants within walking distance or a short drive....the best we found was Olimp,in Budva....a fish restaurant....we were given a complimentary drink on arrival,a free starter of chili and cheese of some sort,beautiful bread....and we chose our fish from a large platter!!It arrived cooked in salt and flamed in brandy,then was expertly served by a very professional waiter!!
We also highly recommend driving to Cetinje,then up to Lovcen Mausoleum....450 steps..then drive down very twisty roads to Kotar.....beautiful!!
I highly recommend this hotel,and we hope to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank vgawn
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

It was 20 years ago that I was last in Budva and my memory of Becici was not a good one, however, I would be happy to recommend this resort and in particular the hotel. If you want to spend your days lying on the beach or by the pool then there is ample opportunity to do so. Personally, I was hoping for a bit more energetic pursuits. Though not to my taste you could hire a jet ski or go parasailing but I opted for the rafting excursion instead. Had I never rafted or paddled before I am sure this would have been far better, or perhaps the long coach journey (though full of commentary from the guide) had jaded my enthusiasm but the inclusive food was excellent (if basic) and with a slightly faster flowing river my desire for excitement would have been satisfied.
As it was I felt I needed more and booked a scuba dive session through the concierge (more about that later) The dive centre was in a neighbouring resort and they of course provided transport. This was my first experience of diving - I have not even used a snorkel - but was definitely worth the price (less than the rafting which was perhaps a little too pricey in the end)
Had i been left unsatisfied by my water activities perhaps I would have tried the paragliding but I really wanted to climb something (I had gone to the land called black mountains after all) and with the number of crags and sea cliffs i was surprised that this was not on offer so I had to content myself with walking to Budva or Sveti Stefan which were pleasant strolls.
The hotel itself was very clean. Admittedly there were a few places where the paint needed a touch up but in no way could I suggest this made it dirty. The public areas were light, spacious and cool (a definite plus to escape the 30 plus degree heat that was present every day I was there) and the room was amply sized and equally as clean and airy. The air-con worked a treat and the view from the balcony of the sea and the mountains was only slightly detracted from by the local houses.
The service of the staff was terrific - the three waiters that i mostly came in to contact with not only put up with my attempts at Serbian but could communicate excellently in English, after a day or so they had second guessed my orders at any rate. The food was good and offered a plentiful choice for meat eaters. I enjoyed the national dishes and would have preferred more of those, but the pasta, pizza and plentiful familiar dishes would satisfy those with less adventures pallets. The Pica sa Mesom for breakfast was a personal favourite - a pie made with fillo pastry with a variety of fillings such as cheese, spinach or my preference of minced meat. bar and reseraunt drinks were reasonably priced and - unusually for these parts - the restaurant, including its balcony is non smoking.
The concierge, Acel, provided the evening entertainment every other evening with different performers on the remaining evening. She had a fantastic voice and I truly enjoyed listening to her renditions of mainly English songs. Of the other acts The folklore evening was my favourite. A short bus ride (£1.50) took you into Budva to sample the night life and the return buses run till 1 am. Budva had everything from sedate Jazz near the old town (Stari Grad) domestic folk/pop acts along the beach (just past the pole dancing open air night clubs - sounds much more sleazy than it actually was) to thriving night clubs and more cover bands nearer the main road.
It had something for every one (including fun fairs and water slides for the kids) and I plan to come back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank bosunhn
Drammen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

First of all, note that this is a proper, high quality hotel - not apartments. As such, it may not be an optimum solution for families with kids with beach activities in mind. Small rooms (family room is slightly larger), fairly strict restrictions against bringing drinks and food to room, a little messy shower solution, very small balconies, no pool for childern - all make for some inconveniences for families with lots of towels to dry, kids to handle etc.

As a hotel, though, you have to be quite grumpy to give it a very low score. Yes, as several have written, the breakfast coffee is horrible, there could be more smiles in the reception, the room TV is small, but these are details. The sea/beach view is magnificent, both common areas and rooms are quite stylish, service is generally very good and helpful, good pool area for adults and large kids, good beds, clean, both breakfast and dinner buffets are very good, better than most.

Approx. 5 min walk down to the beach, families with kids in strollers may want to use the road instead of the walkway, but the hotel area at the beach is conveniently located with facilities nearby. Note that although there is sand at the beach, the water area is pebbles, Budva/Becici is not the best area for kids wanting to play in sand. It also gets deep quickly, so again - not the best for small children. Snorkeling is boring with little to see at this beach, you can follow the beach East/South for a better area, also another small beach 20-30 min walk away through a tunnel in the cliffside (Kamenovo).

All in all, a good hotel with some small drawbacks, just be aware of the limitations a hotel solution like this has, depending on type of travel you are on.

Room Tip: Family rooms are slightly larger than standard rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank WizardOzQ
cluj-napoca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We spend five beautiful days in this hotel and we are positive surprise by the reception staff,specially Marko(who spek very good english,and is very friendly)and we love the panorama of the sea.Also room was clean and breakfast supergood.
Thank you!
Roumanian turists

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank dana091
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

The hotel facilities are great, pool area is fantastic with superb views to the sea. the lobby and bar area is also very nice. Reception staff and very unfriendly and never smile. The rooms are standard - very big - clean but not up to 4 star standard. There is a nice terace outside each room which is lovely! The TV is very small, and bathrooms need an update. There were also troubles with the internet connection. Breakfast is OK, very local.
The spa.fitness area looked nice!
i think it's one of the top resorts in the area, but still needs some improvement.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank travelling006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Becici
Hotel Splendid Conference & Spa Resort
#6 of 24 in Budva
Hotel Mediteran
Hotel Mediteran
#6 of 8 in Becici

Been to Queen of Montenegro? Share your experiences!