“Excellent!”

Restaurant Bar Las 3 Palapas
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We came here about ten years ago and we came back expecting the same quality and we were happy to see that it is not only the same but great!
We will definitely come back again!

Felicia G, Propietario at Restaurant Bar Las 3 Palapas, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comment, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

bahia de banderas
“nice beach, but that was it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

I was invited to join some good friends for a lunch at this restaurant/bar that I had been to a couple of times over the past few months and we decided to sit at a table on the beach (which is the best part of the experience at Las 3 Palapas).
First, they didn't have the juice that was offered for their "special drinks" but "it would only be a moment"... as they sent an employee off to the store, I assume. We waited, watching the cute dogs run from table to table (only one other was occupied) and chase the gulls that frequented the area. When the drinks arrived, the three of us ordered identical meals and waited again for an inordinate ammount of time.
I admit that I'm a really picky eater. When food doesn't "look" to be what I expect, I have a tendancy to, lets say, examine it, poke it, sniff it, etc etc. This simple meal, just didn't look right and tasted a bit different than I expected it would.
For a meal at this price point, I could have ordered the same thing in New York City and wouldn't have received the same reaction I did about 6-8 hours later and most of the next day.
Las 3 Palapas has a beautiful setting right on the bay in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, the enclosed area is really nicely appointed and the staff is generally attentive. I assume, with the lack of tourists that frequent the place in the "high" season; the place being virtually empty, there are some "pressures" on the kitchen, perhaps food costs, perhaps just not what it should be that produced this result.
Would I go back ... sure, but not until the busy season, not until they get their prices in line and not until I don't care what I eat, as long as it's fresh.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank chef-in-banderas
Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what you expected. Please when you come back if there is anything you don't like of our food just let us know and we'll fix it immediately.
Regarding that we where missing some products, yes it is a little bit difficult at these times, most of the Restaurants in La Cruz shut down in May and don't reopen till November due to lack of customers.
We are doing our best to try to stay open all year around.
Thanks for your support anyway.
Las Vegas
“Erratic service-This one fails on service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We ate here in January and returned again in April for a Sunday Lunch. We were ignored as there were too few waiters to attend to the patrons. After trying to get attention without success and waiting 35 minutes we left to go eat elsewhere. Because of the inability to maintain a decent level of service with any consistency, I do not recommend this restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
Felicia G, Propietario at Restaurant Bar Las 3 Palapas, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
In first place I'd like to apologize for the bad service.
It is very true that we have too few waiters, we are trying to get more and better ones but it is very difficult to find good bilingual staff once the season has started.
Our main problem is that we opened in December when all the good staff was already hired by other establishments.
Specially sundays which is our strong day due to the Life Band sometimes the service is not like I wished. Unfortunately i had to travel abroad, if not i could have served myself and the service would have been much better, which i used to do since we opened till 15 of march.
Again my sincere apologies, we will do our best to get more waiters.
Victoria, BC
“The view and setting are good...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This place is pretty, on the beach, and has a great view. We went late afternoon, and there was only one waiter on...very nice guy, he did his best. The kitchen was very slow turning out our orders (took an hour - although there were less than 10 patrons in the place).

The margaritas (85 pesos) were so lime-y and sour as to be undrinkable. I actually quietly poured mine out onto the sand rather than offend our very nice server. The glass of cabernet I got next was much better.

The Shrimp Cheese Puff appetizer took awhile to come; it was just 3 wontons with some seafood/cheese filling (very CostCo appie). The mussels in white wine sauce I ordered turned out to be those New Zealand Greenlip mussels (again, I see them at CostCo) which are inedible - large, dry, tough, chewy, and tasteless. I tried one (awful) and sent the plate back. The server acknowledged that the mussels were not local.

I declined to order anything else, but a few minutes later he appeared with a plate of regular (small, black shell) mussels in white wine sauce for me to try - no charge. That was nice! These mussels were a huge improvement, except the sauce was SO salty as to make them virtually inedible. Again, not wanting to offend, I crammed 5 down and made my husband eat the 6th, and told the waiter they were much better, but there was far too much salt. I don't know why they are serving the New Zealand mussels if they have access to the local mussels that were much better in texture and taste?

Also ordered was a shrimp fried rice dish to which we had some lobster added. Again, except for salt, there was not much flavor and it failed to impress. There was nothing Asian-tasting about the dish (which had too much cauliflower).

I have to say that Sandzibar Restaurant is right next door, and has superior food and service for about the same prices. We'll be going back to Sandzibar, but not to Las 3 Palapas.

• Visited April 2014
Felicia G, Propietario at Restaurant Bar Las 3 Palapas, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
In the first place i am sorry that your experience was not what we would have wished for. I am currently out of the country. After reading your review i asked my staff to see what had happened.
Usually people like our Margarita, we only use fresh squeezed limes and decent Tequila, if you would have liked it more sweet you just would have needed to ask and we would have fixed it...much better solution then pouring it into the sand.
According to our Local Mexican Health authorities at this time no Restaurant is allowed to use local mussels in our area because of risk of that they are infected by bacteria. Believe me i would rather be able to use fresh local mussels then frozen ones.
What really grabbed my attention is that, you didn't like the taste of our food but where to polite to complain there and then (for not to bother the poor friendly waiter) where we could have fixed it, instead you complained here (!) that will make my staff feel much better.
Regarding superior food comparing our neighbor Restaurant, well they are French Mediterranean cuisine type, and we are a mexican style local Restaurant but there your dinner is minimum double of our price. Having said this, i must repeat that I feel very sorry that we didn't make you happy, and wish you all the best.
“Beautiful and relaxing spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stopped in for a meal and a margarita and were very delighted that we did! The burgers, yes we had burgers, were excellent. Perfectly prepared and extremely satisfying, The margaritas were the best yet on our trip and a mango daiquiri was superb too. Our waiter was extremely attentive and when he found out it was my sisters birthday, they surprised her with a very special dessert, bananas flambé! It was a wonderful afternoon, would definitly recommend this place and we will be back!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Yvonne P
Thanks for your opinion and we hope to welcome you back soon again.