“Great fun and good food with music to listen or dance”
Review of Philo's Bar - CLOSED

Philo's Bar
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Proprietor is Philo Hayward, an American expat. The bar is an old sailor's haunt, with live music every night from Philo's Shuffle Band. There's also a music studio and restaurant attached. It's basically the centre of activity for all expats in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Telephone: 329 295 5068, or email Philo at philo@philoslacruz.com
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We love Philo's and go at least once each year on our annual trip to the area. You do need a car unless you are staying in La Cruz but the taxis are not too expensive from Bucerias or Nuevo Vallarta. And, there is bus service. Good pizza and cold beer with lively music. Philo himself often plays and I enjoy the cats who roam around outside too. Don't miss this even if it is mostly Gringos!

1  Thank ctalan

Reviewed August 21, 2012

What's not to like about this place? Nothing. I think it's just great; a place where I've been going for all 10 years that it's been open in La Cruz. I always feel at home whether I'm solo or with a group.

Great food (I especially like the barbecued ribs), good drinks, good service and a wonderful house band. The small dance floor that can get pretty crowded sometimes.

The owner, Philo, is a transplanted American who is committed to "giving back" to the community. I especially like the Thanksgiving and Christmas pot-luck dinners and the evenings that celebrate non-stop while raising funds for local charities.

Well done, Philo!

3  Thank Elenamex
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I hate to report negative views but this one deserves it. When we were there on a Saturday night there were about four tables occupied and the musical group (a guy and a female) was so offensive that my husband had to leave for awhile! We love to dance and listen to good music, but their choice was not at all good. We make a few requests that they ignored except for one unknown rock and roll one that we actually danced to.

Food: We ordered two individual pita bread pizzas, one being the Hawaiiana and the other was tomato, basil and mozzerella. Our friends ordered a medium sized pepperoni, which they only ate one piece each. How can you mess up all three pizzas on the table? We waited at least 1/2 hour for our food and we were the only table eating. The drinks were OK, but I would not recommend this at all. There are lots of other good ones in La Cruz. The problem is during summer months many of them are closed. Best bet is to go to Mezaluna or Dugarels in Bucerias.

3  Thank Gypsies-on-the-go
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Philo's: well. Just up the street from me. Really good music and a happy place. Good menu, reasonable prices - and they deliver. Great pizzas. A good place to just go to to meet local expats and local Mexicans and to dance and have just about too much fun. That sort of place. Do just drop in. A friendly and wonderful place to spend an evening laughing and dancing and eating and drinking.

2  Thank Lorrainesails
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Visited Philo's with family and had a great time. The band was excellent!