“The best hotel in South Trinidad”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Fernando
The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in San Fernando
Greensboro, North Carolina
“The best hotel in South Trinidad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I had an enjoyable stay at the Royal hotel in southern part of the island of Trinidad which I considered good. The facilities available were accommodating the every guest. There is an exercise room which I made use of daily. There could be some improvement on the continental breakfast however, the staff were very friendly and courteous. Parking availability is a plus at this hotel.

Room Tip: the rooms on the higher floors would have a better view. The hotel was generally quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank emblemaccess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hamilton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

The Royal Hotel is a two part story. The rooms are clean and semi-comfortable but the decore is from 1970's. Bedding, furniture and closet space need major upgrades.The main portion of the hotel including the lobby, resturant, bar and associated bathrooms have been renovated and are much nicer than the rooms. There is also a very nice pool area which I didn't use. Resturant food including the included continential breakfast were acceptable but not great. I recommed the Chinese place around the corner. If you are looking for a reasonally price hotel in a convienent location in San Franando for a short 1-3 day business stay I would recomend the Royal.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank dmorrissey2
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

Halliburton put us up here for a few days till we could get our work visas approved for Suriname. The hotel was very clean. Meals were very high class. Iloved the tropical plants everywhere. The property is backed up to jungle. I would love to have the pavilion in my back yard. Nice breeze all the time. The tree out in front looks like it could be 400 years old.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Big_Chris_Goodland
Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

I overnighted here along with my sister on her prom night. We chose Royal Hotel because it was the most accessible hotel in the area. Bad decision. Initially, I had e-mailed the hotel to get rates and so on. For a few days well, a rep from the hotel and I exchanged e-mails untiI I was comfortable with everything and gave the ok for her to go ahead and book my stay. She advised me that my reservation was booked for the particular night and all was in order, or was it?
Upon arrival at the hotel, I attempted to check in but was told by the arrogant receptionist that there was no booking under my name and no reservation was confirmed. I advised the young lady that I was back and forth e-mailing the hotel and was given the impression that my stay was already established. She replied to me that I should have called to get a booking, and that was the only way they would confirm. With some sort of luck, thought, she managed to get an available room for me. Boy, was I upset at this point.
Anyways, the room was comfortable enough. I was glad that there was cable tv and the a/c was functional. However, the bathroom could have used some, ok, a lot of work. For the high rates, I would have expected something a little more pleasing to the eye and a little less drab. The cold water faucet at the face sink was not working so my sister and I had to deal with the hot water only or resort to using the cold water in the shower to wash our faces and brush our teeth. The aura of the bathroom itself was depressing. Not what I paid for. I did not appreciate this hotel in the least. Good thing we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed June 2010
4 Thank red_fred86

Travelers are raving about these San Fernando hotels

Gaucin, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Public areas have a relaxed Colonial feel, staff are extremely helpful, bar is pleasant, restaurant service is slow but friendly, food OK to mediocre, don't sit in the middle of the restaurant or you get bits dropped on you by birds. Pool area and gardens very nice. Location is OK but there is very little within walking distance, you need a car or to take taxis. The rooms were very basic and only superficially clean, very grubby in many areas - on skirting boards, back of the loo, under furniture, on light fittings etc, and the tiled floor was filthy - I spilt some water and mopped it up with a tissue - when I looked at it it was black; I checked other areas of the main floor (i.e. not under the bed) and it was the same all over. Yuk. The bedspreads didn't look as though they'd been washed in months. The redeeming features were the nice balcony overlooking the pool and the free wi-fi. There doesn't seem to be any alternative in San Fernando, and if you don't spend much time in the rooms they are adequate. Most guests are single guys working in the oil industry, very friendly atmosphere. Don't stay here at the end of November or early December if you can avoid it, as the Christmas Village next door has very loud music and people shouting over microphones every evening until late.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank LCB2008
London UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

THe hotel is an old colonial style house converted to a hotel. It had been gutted by fire in the past so some of the original features are long gone. The reception area and the grounds had a very welcoming ambience. The rooms were very, very very, plain for the cost. The air conditioning, curtains, paintings and furniture were all tired and needed not only an update but a revival. The staff were very friendly especially the restaurant staff. They went over board to accomodate my request for a take away breakfast on my last day. I cannot comment much about the food as I ate out most other days. They have a gym on site which was as good as any other gym I have used in a hotel of its status. I stayed there 2 times in the month of June as I was moving around Trinidad and had to say that this was the second best of all the 4 hotels I stayed in. Would I stay there again? Maybe but if there is a 5 star hotel in town costing a bit more and I could afford that then...... I'll skip this one.

• Liked — The reception area and staff
  • Disliked — The rooms and cost for what you get
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank L0nd0nd0ct0r
Spring, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

The Royal Hotel is located in San Fernando, Trinidad. It's an older place that has seen better days. Rooms are dated, mine had lime green painted walls, a TV high up on the wall where I needed binoculars to see it and vintage furniture, phone is across the room from the bed, a majjor pain. Room was clean though and A/C worked fine. Reasonably quiet. Place has a pool. Breakfast included consists of cereal, fruit, bread and small juice, anything else is extra. Lunch and dinner are from the menu (the fried shrimp are decent, ask for cocktail sauce). Staff are very friendly and helpful. If you need a car (recommended as there's not much that's close to the Royal), rent it at the airport as there are no major rental agencies in San Fernando. On a side note, if you can avoid TGI Friday's at the San Fernando mall on a Saturday night, do so. Very disorganized, food was cold and mediocre. Extremely loud.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — Rooms and location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Papito1
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
Radisson Hotel Trinidad
#5 of 21 in Port of Spain
Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!