All reviews french alps excellent hospitality cycling routes alpe d'huez course dinner rooms were very clean spent nights small village fantastic food bourg d'oisans place to stay excellent location other guests lockable garage tools cyclists bike
Selected filters
Reviewed June 15, 2019

Excellent hotel, amazing food, rooms very comfortable, tv though only French , very disappointing, excellent location, excellent Hospitality, recommended 100% .
For cycling lovers its in the middle of the best routes, offering all kind of facilities.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Carolos P
Reviewed June 15, 2019

Chris and I had been planning a cycling trip to the French Alps for two years before it finally came to fruition. We enlisted the aid of one of the many companies that cater to cyclists in France, providing hotels, restaurants, and ride maps. From the moment we arrived in La Freney d’Oisans at the Cassini Hotel we knew we had found a gem. Prior to arriving we had no real idea of what we would find for accommodations or who we might meet. Martin and Sophia greeted us with a warmth and friendliness that made us feel that we were already old friends.

The hotel has an old world charm but with all the modern conveniences. The downstairs dining ad sitting area have a cozy feeling about them and we found it very easy to engage other guests in conversation, especially those who had the common interest in biking.

One of my concerns about travel in general is food. Or, rather, finding the right places that serve a guy with dietary restrictions. Too often when I sign up for a vegetarian, dairy-free menu, the result seems to be almost an afterthought, with carrot sticks and baked potatoes the common fare. Not so here. Martin is a world class chef and, as it turned out, he and Sophia are also vegetarians. All the meals I had were equal or better than my meat-eating counterparts. I felt like I had my own personal chef. A very nice compliment to an already great hotel experience.

The only time we cared about time was making sure we weren’t late for the dinner hour. Or, more accurately, the two hours of dinner. The several courses were served in such a manner that we had plenty of time to reflect on the day and all of the details of the trip. Dinner was also an experience, not just something to get out of the way in a hurry.

Martin and Sophia manage the Cassisi Hotel with what I will call a casual efficiency. They spend a goodly amount of time with each guest making sure that they are comfortable and offering up suggestions for rides, sights, or other local experiences we might enjoy. But behind this easy-going friendliness is an efficiency that keeps everything on track, clean, and orderly. However, we never saw how they actually did that. We just marveled that it was always that way.

Martin and Sophia set a very high bar for customer service and hotel management. Were we to do this trip again, I suspect we would cancel the second half of the trio and just stay at the Cassini and all that if offers for comfort, convenience, and a pace that is truly relaxing. All most welcome after a day of cycling up and down those hill.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed June 3, 2019 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel Le Cassini for four nights in May 2019 while I cycled in the French Alps. This is a welcoming and very comfortable hotel in a small village. The proprietors are the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met in France. The food is extraordinarily good and they are very accommodating in meeting dietary preferences. Close to all the major biking climbs and very reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed June 3, 2019

This is a lovely boutique hotel which serves 1/2 board. The owners are very welcoming and are genuinely interested in your plans each day. The dinners were superb - something you would find in a Michelin restaurant. We really enjoyed our stay! Highly recommended. Anita/Kevin/Patrick/Melanie

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank AnitaKevin
Reviewed September 22, 2018

Lovely little base for cycling in the area ( and I would suspect, also for skiing).

Located just up the valley on the Lautarete from Bourg d'Oisans and Alpe d'Huez, shortly before the turn off to Les Duex Alpes. Rooms are clean, and beds very comfortable.

Easy reach to enough climbs to get you through a week, some you will have heard of, and some the owners and staff will suggest for you.

All very very friendly and keen to help- for me, booking quite late, the first night that I wished to stay was fully booked but they organised for me a local Gite taking quite a bit of hassle out of the equation.

The food is excellent. I spent 5h per day on the bike and returned at the same weight I arrived which I think is demonstrative. Fresh local ingredients prepared really nicely, three courses per night.

There is a safe, lockable garage for the bikes, removing the hassle of having to negotiate for them to come inside. Basic range of tools (plus track pumps etc which can be a pain to bring with you) are available and at your disposal.

Will definitely return, and would absolutely recommend.

Date of stay: September 2018