“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Kifisia
Istabul
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

We enjoyed our six night stay at Theoxenia Palace hotel in October 2006. We had a great room with a view of the Kefelari park, a real treat every time we looked out of our windows. Our room had a very comfortable bed with nice soft pillows and a very nice bathroom, very clean and efficient. There were also robes and slippers provided to us and plenty of towels as well.

The hotel staff was particularly helpful and our stay could not have been much better. On the day of our departure we had to leave very early, and the concierge not only arranged a taxi waiting for us at the exact requested time, but they also prepared for us a delicious breakfast before the kitchen opened !

• Liked — the service and the staff
12 Thank kycapital

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2006

The beauty of this hotel is its rooms and the wonderful atmosphere that you get when you enter the lobby. Checking in was fast and efficient after a very long trip from Boston. My plan was to stay for 6 days for work and return back home. After the first couple of nights, I decided to extend my stay for another week. The hotel staff was very helpful and they made my stay a truly great experience. They arranged for my transportation to work everyday and recommended some nice city tours.

During my stay I had to use the Internet for my work and initially experienced some problems. But with the assistance and directions of the front desk employee the problem was resolved!

I wish the weather was better so that I could enjoy their outdoor pool. Maybe next summer when I visit back the Theoxenia. With no hesitation I recommend you to stay there!

• Liked — spacious rooms, facilities, friendly staff
13 Thank marcus7710
Roma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

I am a weekly business traveler and have the fortune of staying in some pretty nice hotels around Europe. My wife and I recently did a long weekend in Athens and on the advice of a friend native to athens we were pointed to the Kifissia area. This was actually a great recommendation, Kifissia is a nice escape from the centre of Athens with a great shopping and restaurant scene. The incredible Athens metro system will have you in the centre of town within 30 minutes.

The only dark spot on the whole weekend was this hotel. The Greek people on the whole were incredibily friendly and helpful. Having lived in Rome for the last 7 years, I understand what it is like to live in a big European tourist meca and I was impressed by the Greek hospitality, However, this particular hotel was the anomily in the Athens area. The staff at the front desk were unhelpful and unfriendly from the moment of arrival. For a five star hotel, I thought it was a bit strange (when paying +$300 a night) that there was no bellman or door service to help us with bags (or at least ask...) when we got out of the taxi and climbed the steps (no wheelchair access at this hotel either...). When we checked in, I asked to confirm we had a non-smoking room. After a glance at the computer, the receptionist assured me we did. Of course, upon entering the room the telltale ash trays and odour were there. OK, no big deal, mistakes can be made, even at supposed 5 star place... We were in a rush to run to a walking tour, so we didn't bother to change as the room was a nice corner room with a great view.

On our rush out the door, we asked the receptionist to help us find our tour meeting point. Apparently she didn't get out in Athens much or walk around Kifissia as it was difficult to get an answer. No concierge on staff.

We asked for a recommendation for a good Greek taverna in the area with live music and all they could recommend was a chain restaurant with the classics and no music...

The hotel has a night club on the ground floor, in a part of the building right below our room. I'm all for a good party, but not when I'm trying to sleep at 4am and the bed is shaking from the thump of the bass 3 floors below. One thing a 5 star hotel should do is, at least, provide a great nights sleep. They failed at this basic premise.

The breakfast layout was good, but finished too early (10:30am). When you've been kept awake all night by club music, you tend to have a lie-in... This is even more difficult when you're coming to Athens from CET. When your body thinks breakfast, it's already over...

The hotel was all but empty (about 10 rooms occupied from the look of the breakfast room and the number of keys always in their slots), so why did they put us above the thumpin' club in the first place? Attention to detail completely missed...

The housekeeping staff never properly locked the door. This one bothers me slightly as I travel with my laptop for work and I don't like the fact that the room is left shut without the bolt locked properly (you can do this from the outside with the key). This makes it more difficult for somone to break in using the simple credit card jimmy trick, Every time we came back to the room, it was left unbolted.

No do not disturb sign to hang on the door, resulting in the staff knocking while trying to sleep or catch a kip.

I really wanted to like this place, Kifissia is a great area of Athens. But having stayed at a lot of hotels in Europe over the last 10 years, this does not merit its ranking of 5 stars nor would I recommend this to anyone for the price charged.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — skip this hotel, price:service ratio poor
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MaxTobySampson
Nurmijarvi, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

I ended up in this hotel not by choice but because all the good hotels in the city centre were full. I've been to Athens six times this year and this was my first time in Kiffisia. The location of the hotel couldn't be better, facing a small park and right in the centre of Athen's nightlife. During the day this area is quite quiet and an exclusive residential area, but by nightfall it's packed with restaurant and cafe goers. It's a great area to stay if you are bored with the city centre. However if it's your first visit to Athens then you will spend a lot of time getting into the centre to see the "must see" sights. Travel by metro takes about 45min to the city centre - 15min to walk to the metro station and then 30min on the train itself. The price is only 70cents per ticket which is very reasonable.
The hotel itself is very imposing and really does deserve the title "palace". However the rooms are quite small and the bathrooms a little crowded. The doors and walls are very thin - on a couple of nights I could hear the person in the next room snoring ! Breakfast was nice and there was an open air section facing the park.
Given the choice I would stay in somewhere with thicker walls when you can get a good nights sleep no matter how loud the person snores next door though.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — soundproofing
  • Tips/Secrets — take ear plugs
4 Thank Le066
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2006

On my last visit to Athens I decided to stay at the Theoxenia, which was recommended to me by a friend that travels frequently to Greece.

I used to stay in hotels in downtown Athens, but on this visit I decided to try this hotel that was in the suburb of Kifissia.

The first thing that I liked about this hotel was its location. It is in the center of Kifissia, which together with Kolonaki are the best places for shopping and dinning.

My room was also very impressive. It had a large balcony with view of the park. The fittings of the rooms and the towels seemed brand new and I really enjoyed the comfortable mattress of my bed.

I would definately come back to the Theoxenia on my next visit.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2006

My wife and I stayed for 5 days at Theoxenia. Its biggest strength, in our opinion, is the charming and comfortable rooms, a far cry from many predictably bland chain hotels. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was very professional and always accomodating to any requests. Two double-pane windows insulate perfectly from any outside noise. The location, in the heart of upscale Kifisia, is beautiful and very close to the suburb's shopping area.

Like most other reviewers, aside a fine breakfast, we were unipressed by the food.
Nevertheless, we would choose Theoxenia again for a stay in the northern suburbs of Athens.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2005

Stayed at the Theoxenia for two nights and I found the hotel very elegant and the rooms very nice.
The location of the hotel is very central, close to shopping and cafes.
The staff at the reception was especially helpful. They arranged for me dinner reservations to try some restaurants in Athens.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a luxury hotel without the hassle of staying in the noisy downtown Athens.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kifisia
Coco-Mat Hotel Nafsika
Y Hotel
#2 of 10 in Kifisia
Syntagma
Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Been to Theoxenia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!