“Nice SLH property in Athens”

Theoxenia Palace Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Kifissia
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This was my second time I stayed at this hotel and the reason I choose it is due to its proximity to my work. I booked through the SLH website on a special promotion and got a good deal. Upon arrival I was upgraded because there was a wedding going on at the hotel and have very few rooms left.
The first impression of the hotel is that this is a boutique hotel, since there is a great deal of detail everywhere you look.
The superior room I stayed is definately not modern, but it is well maintained and very spacious. The furniture in my room seems rather old, but the bathroom is really nice with great amenities.
Breakfast was really nice, great variety and nice service.
The day before I left I tried the outdoor swimming pool and I really enjoyed it.
One problem I had was with the service at the pool when I wanted to order lunch.
They seemed unable to take my order. When they finally took my order I was informed that the pool restaurant was closed and that my order had come from the room service.
Kudos to polite waiter that came up with this alternative !
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to quiet place to stay in Athens !

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank GMJ005

Reviewed May 5, 2009

This is a 3 star hotel at best. Only the location is nice if you want to stay away from the city center. If you are on a business trip and you primarily want to rest then do not expect to sleep at the Theoxenia! The hotel is very noisy. You can hear pretty much everything from the hallway, other rooms and the street. Cleaning staff started early and kept talking loudly in the hallway. Even the fridge in the room sounded like a diesel truck! I am glad I had ear plugs with me. Staff was trying to be nice and offered to change my room but there was not much they can do. Rooms are getting really old. Bathroom is clean but very small. Breakfast is far below average (not even fresh fruits!). The gym was ... closed for refurbishement and the pool was ice cold! The hotel is definitely charming and in a nice location but not what you expect from a SLHW and clearly not 5 stars. I changed from the Hilton to the Theoxenia at the last minute as it was closer to my business meeting. What a mistake. The Hilton was actually cheaper for a much much better hotel at least for business travellers. Stay away from the Theoxenia!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
6  Thank FT001
Reviewed March 11, 2009

Well, I was expecting much from this hotel by reading some reviews, looking at pictures and keeping in mind SLH sign.. In reality it was big disappointment and if I would be paying my self, it would worst hotel I ever stayed..

My view - this is isn't any luxury hotel. This is old fashioned, tired interior and rooms, 3 star level hotel which branding themselves as SLH -level. Yes, its member of SLH - and now I will be for sure very cautios with SLH chain.
Room is nothing chic or luxury - old and SUPER noisy heating system, no good sound proof on water tubes (you perfectly know when your neibourgs visiting a toilet), old TV. Bed is Ok - but instead of double bed, it was 2 small twin's pushed together. Bathroom is well equiped (amenities) - true. Shower/bath very ordinary, as usual for 3 stars. Breakfast selection...uff, haven't seen such a limited choise for a long time.. With room rate of about 160eur, I can't even get fresh fruits? Unbelievable. Breakfast room is small btw, the only luck was that not many visitots were. Colleague asked for cup of Eng Breakfast tea - after bringing him earl greay instead and another conversation, appears no English breakfast tea, but at least found some black tea... Final touch of luxury.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank xsauth
Reviewed November 29, 2008

Well, I didnt choose this hotel, I was visiting a Vendor and they have planned the booking for me. I would like to share my experience with you.

First of all there is no Bell boy to carry the luggage, just the help of the only one staff, he left the luggage at the elevator treshold while we were checking in.

I went to my room dragging my suit cases, the room was much smaller than expected, considering that I am paying 200 Euros. to be fair the room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Breakfast time from 7:00 to 10:30, breakfast Variety is fine, and staff were helpful. The Only comment that there was no title bar for each food, some types of pastes you cannot make out the content by sight, and that is a concern, specially for forigners with some restrictions, like Vegeterians (like my coleegue), or people avoding pork (like myself).

the Last day of my stay I wanted to spend sometime in the GYM, it was around 10:00 am but it was locked, they had to send some one to open it for me!, with no stuff / trainer inside for any assitance (contradicting to what they wrote about availability of proffesional trainers).

In summary the hotel is clean, the resturant is acceptable, but in No way it should be considered as a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Hussein_Eman
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Maybe it is because it is a boutique hotel with lots of period charm. Maybe it is because 5 stars in Greece isn't quite the same as 5 stars elsewhere. Whatever, this is short of the standards you would expect from a 5 star hotel charging 5 star rates.

The hotel itself does have a lot of charm, its clean, the staff are friendly, speak good English and very helpful. Its also in a very nice and safe location in the upmarket suburb of Kifissia. Plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants and top notch shops nearby. Though it should be pointed out it is a long way from the tourist sites of Athens - not a problem for me on this trip because I was on business near Kifissia. But I wouldn't stay here if I was visiting Athens as a tourist due to its remote location.

The downsides? Firstly the breakfast (included in the rate) was plentiful but all the hot food was lukewarm at best, some of it cold. The breakfast room was arguably too small for the hotel too, since on 2 of the 5 mornings I had to share a table with other guests. Not really what I would expect from a 5 star.

The rooms were spacious, but the air conditioning in my room was very weak. I would imagine it might be a problem in the heat of mid summer. The bathrooms were ok, but the shower was pokey and the shower curtain stained. The TV was looking a bit old, and only had 1 English language channel. Again not really what I expect of 5 star standard based on stays at other 5 star hotels.

The fitness facilities looked great on the hotel's website, but I didn't get to see them since they only opened at 7.30am (not great if you want to go before breakfast). The hotel pool was currently drained for cleaning, though admittedly it was a touch too cool for a swim outdoors!

Overall, a little disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Birdman1970
Reviewed July 29, 2007

The Theoxenia Palace is situated in the nice northern suburb of Kifissia - we purposely wanted to stay out of town, but be warned that Kifissia is a good way out of central Athens and the hotel is a good 20 minute walk from Kifissia metro station. In terms of the hotel itself, there is no way this is a 5* hotel. The welcome we had on arrival and from the staff we encountered was professional and pleasant, but the rooms and some of the central areas were tired with worn carpets and furniture, the bed was uncomfortable and there was only one bathrobe, bathroom slippers and pool towel for the 2 of us. The pool was old, dirty and had peeling paint and didn't really live up to its billing on their website. Buffet breakfast the following morning was fine. Last time I stayed here on business 4 years ago, my stay was pleasant but this time, the hotel looked and felt worn and tired. It's ok for one /two nights if you really need to be in Kifissia but we would not return - we have stayed in better for the same or less money in the Athens environs.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank ACANDOJM
Reviewed February 11, 2007

The Theoxenia Palace is a lovely hotel that surprises you with its excellent service as well as its spacious rooms with view to a nice park. My room had view to the hotels garden and swimming pool as I requested a quiet room. I have stayed at quite a few hotels in Athens but have never felt as if I were getting my money's worth.

It is located in Kifissia a suburb of Athens very close to the Metro station and lots of shopping and nice restaurants nearby.

A place to be!! Stylish decoration & ambience, superb facilities, friendly staff exceedingly helpful, nice gym, excellent food at the restaurant.

I recommend this hotel to those who know what they want and they have high standards.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
12  Thank FV40swfc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kifissia
Y Hotel
Exarchia
Radisson Blu Park Hotel Athens
Chris Hotel
#7 of 11 in Kifissia

Been to Theoxenia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!