“Reasonably good food, somewhat expensive”

Tambarina Guest House & Restaurant
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2014

"Tambarina" conjures up a Portuguese vista of LM prawns and seafood, and other exotic foods. The menu is comprehensive and includes some of the imagined dishes. I had the curry prawns (otherwise known as prawn curry!) which was good and a reasonable portion, but I thought a little expensive at R149 for a serving (compared to Jo'burg prices). My wife's calamari, she said, was steamed and very soft. My son was mostly satisfied with his steak, but his wife's fish was undercooked and not tasty. My granddaughter loved her spaghetti bolognaise (but she even loves the concoction of the same name I might prepare for her). Cost, with one bottle of wine came close to R800! (No befores or afters!)

The food was OK, easier than home-made for a travelling family. Service was friendly. But next time we'll try a different Komatipoort restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Tambarina Guest House & Restaurant

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Friends in Nelspruit recommended the Crab Curry and we were not disappointed. Best meal we have had in a long time. Will definitely be back. The only problem we had was confusion with our booking, but it was soon rectified.

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Went with (very fussy!)family from Switzerland today and everyone raved about their meal! I had the T-Bone which was perfectly cooked with delicious "slap chips" like only a South African can make. Yummy. The Prawns and fish was just as delicious and the desserts were lovely. The portions are HUGE and most of us struggled to finish.

It is set in what used to be a house and the ambience is great. Even though it was blistering hot today, the patrons were kept cool with a fine mist from the umbrellas.

All in all a lovely experience.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We ordered food, my daughters did not arrive, only to be told it was given to another table, we had to wait 20 minutes for hwers to arrive, in which time we had finished. We ordered Matteus Rose, first bottle came opened at the table perfect, second bottle came, opened, it was not Matteus Rose, but some cheap plonk, they said it was corked, not sure how as it comes in a screw top bottle

2  Thank Alison S
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The place seems to be very popular with the tourists - but I didn't enjoy the food very much. Had the queen prawns -large quantities, but didn't impress me too much.

1  Thank Kim M