“Modest Guest House With Great Food”

Tambarina Guest House & Restaurant
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I spent two nights at Tambarina and enjoyed my experience both at the guest house and at the restaurant. Tambarina is not an ultra-luxurious guest house by any stretch of the imagination, but it is just enough for the tired traveler. The rooms are basic but they have everything you need: towels, clean beds, a shower and tea / coffee / water. There is even a fridge for your convenience.

The restaurant at Tambarina is very good, particularly the sea food. Everything tastes fresh, is well prepared and in abundance. One night, we all had the full peri-peri chicken and there were enough leftovers for the next day. If you stick with the seafood or the chicken you should be good. One of my friends ordered steak one evening and although it was good, it wasn't great.

If you're on your way to or from Mozambique and find yourself in Komatipoort, consider staying with Tambarina. It is a small, unassuming guest house with a lovely staff and good food. It is also a 10 minute drive to the border of Mozambique and a 10 minute drive to one of the southern entrances of Kruger National Park so the location is great. I would definitely stay with Tambarina again if I ever find myself in the area.

There are newer reviews for Tambarina Guest House & Restaurant

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The prawns were fabulous and the service great! We were 14 in total and all were happy! It was conveniently located over the road from our guest house, The Stoep Cafe!

1  Thank gotravel628
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Went for a chat and a snack last night.We ordered a mussel pot combo and a calamari starter along with a couple of whiskeys. Firstly unfortunately the sauce in which the mussel combo came,had and instant soup and cream taste.Not nice!Gave the waitress R 300-00 and expected her to arrive with the R 82-00 change.Tried diplomacy when it did not arrive( asked for the slip for the books)was told that they had thrown the slip away.still no offer of change.Then insisted on the slip and the change.Ended up not giving her a tip and left with a bad taste in the mouth. Disappointing!!!

4  Thank gregory m
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great Steak rolls and chips, served on the stoep. Really friendly young lady served me, well done I will pop in again

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am fairly neutral with regard to the place.Perhaps I expected too much.I also felt that the prices were not justified .The service was friendly.

1  Thank gregory m