“Very relaxed and cool helpful staff”

TikayKilla Lodge & Wines
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Maipu
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I felt this place was perfect for our stay in Maipu. It's in a great peaceful location and the owner Francisco really goes out of his way to make sure you enjoy your stay, for example by organising for local rental bikes to be available from his lodge and offering advice on what to do. Rooms we clean and comfortable and we really felt at home, despite only being there for one night. The Maipu wineries are a great way to spend a couple of days, but will be even better once you can bike through the wineries, which is something i know Francisco is pushing hard for in his town!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Francisco P, Propietario at TikayKilla Lodge & Wines, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Hi Pete & Swan

Thanks very much for your this review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us hoping to have you amongst our guests some other time!

All te very best, and thanks again, all reveiws help us a lot... :)

Best

There are newer reviews for TikayKilla Lodge & Wines

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I just stayed at Tikay Killa and loved it! Francisco was an amazing host from the moment I emailed him to make reservations through to the minute we left. He helped us with handwritten maps to find Mount Aconcagua and other tourist locations. He gave us excellent eating recommendations and was just generally very gracious, genuine and caring about his guests. He even made us breakfast early to accommodate our travels and he makes a MEAN plate of fresh scrambled eggs! I highly recommend staying here if you want a relaxing stay during a Mendoza trip. Thank you, Francisco!!

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi There...
Thanks very very much for this lovely review. I was flattered by your words.
I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and all the recommendations.
Looking forward to see you again around Mendoza.
Best wishes.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

After careful review we decided to book at Tikaykilla to bring in the New Year 2013. As soon as I sent the first email months earlier before our trip to Francisco the owner of the lodge I was greeted with a speedy reponse and advice of what bus to take, things to do, etc. Francisco and the lodge did not disappoint and all the reviews that are written are a true reflection of the lodge.

Francisco goes above and beyond and is truely a gentleman and terrifc host. He treated us to a lovely New Years Eve dinner with the other guests and a wonderful time was had by all. The lodge itself is simple and clean with a relaxing and chilled out feel to it. Your days can be spent cycling to different vineyards, horseback riding in the moutains, relaxing at the lodge with the dog and the cat to wondering around Mendoza. Whatever your flavour Francisco will accomodate.

We will always have fond memories of this lovely lodge. All the best Francisco and if you are ever out our way be sure to call.

Rebecca and Michael
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rebecca and Michael,

Thanks very much for such a review... it was really a pleasure to spend NYE 2012 with you to bring in the N 2013 Y...

You've said so many nices things that made me blush ... LOL!

Hope to have you here some time in the future, but of course I'll let you know once we head ourselves to Alberta...

All the best...

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent three lovely nights at Tikaykilla, under the very best care of Francisco and his girlfriend. The hotel was cute, clean, refreshing, albeit simple. There are only 4 rooms, so the setting was intimate allowing us to get to know some of the other guests staying there. Francisco was a pleasure to have as a host, attending to all of our needs. He made recommendations for wineries and restaurants, ensured we had everything we needed for our 5 month old son, and served up simple but delicious breakfasts. We truly enjoyed our stay and thank Francisco for everything!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Francisco P, Propietario at TikayKilla Lodge & Wines, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear J&E... and little E... :) Thanks very much for such a nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that had a great time, same as your friends that recommended us...
All the very best,
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Where to begin??? This place is truly a hidden gem... from the moment we walked in we were welcomed by Francisco and we felt like we were walking into our home. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Location was also great right in the heart of the the ruta del vino (wine route) with three or four wineries walking/biking distance. We have been traveling all around Argentina before we got to Mendoza and this was the perfect place to just relax, read a book and go for a bike ride.
"Chef" Francisco made killing eggs in the morning for breakfast and the orange juice was nice and fresh - there was always fresh fruit cut from the trees in the backyard...
The best part is this place is the awesome yellow lab that you will see in every picture - he loves to play and it was such a nice treat to have in our stay!!!
I highly recommend this lodge for anyone who is interested in relaxing with a good glass of wine and nice puppy to play with!!! Great times....!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Francisco P, Owner at TikayKilla Lodge & Wines, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

My friend, thanks very much for such a lovely review. I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay… it was lovely to spend and share your time in Mendoza with us. Looking forward to seeing you again sometime. All best for three of you and the girls. Francisco.-

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Absolutely Wonderful time and stay at the Lodge.

All the previous TripAdvisor reviews, that I used to make my final decision, were true. This review may be redundant, but worth the extra words.

Service- EXCELLANT. Why do I say that in bold letters? I very stupidly missed my flight from Santiago, Chile to Mendoza. Instead of an hour flight, I ended up taking an overnight bus, through the Andes mountains, which took eight hours. Needless to say, we were exhausted and failed to make it to the hotel at the original check in time. Obviously it was my fault was missing the night of the hotel, but I didn't want to pay for a night that I did not use. Even before I was able to mention it, Elaina, said, we are not charging you for the night. Awesome. The tone had been set.

The hotel is outside of the town of Mendoza. It is small, quiet, and very charming. You can smell the clean air, if that makes sense, as you drive from the bus station. The town of Mendoza is in the desert. As you drive to the hotel, you are surrounded by open spaces and calm terrain. When we arrived to the hotel, the owner was not there, but he had his Elaina greet us. Elaina owns the bakery/coffeehouse around the corner from the hotel. Although the owner was not present, he was available via internet and email.

The room- Once we got to the hotel, Elaina showed us to our room, while she went to prepare breakfast for us. The room was adequate for two, single ladies traveling. It is not huge but comfortable, tidy, and clean. The window opens up to the back of the hotel, where they have chairs and tables set up to allow for you to relax and absorb the surroundings. The beds were firm and cozy. There is no tv in the room. The bathroom, like the room, was clean and comfortable. It is very peaceful here. Very little noise but keep in mind the walls are a bit thin. We were told in the morning by our neighbors, that they could hear us before we went to bed.

Service- Incredible. As stated, we were missed a night and arrived very early the next morning. That being the case, we were still welcomed by Elaina and had breakfast prepared promptly upon our arrival. The coffee was DELICIOUS. They use Brazilian grounds. I drank at least 4 cups, and I do not drink coffee like that. We were also treated to fresh, homemade banana bread. Whatever we asked for, was provided for us, with a smile. It is easy to get taxis from the hotel and they can sort out any adventure or touring you want to do. Trout and Wine was the company we used for our wine tour. That is a must! They were recommended to us by the hotel.

If I were to return to this part of the world, I would head back to the Lodge with no hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank D_ExplorerMiami_FL

Hi there, Thanks very much for the review… you wrote too many nice things that I will only say a simple but meaningful: THANKS! Of course we were not going to charge for a night you didn’t stay due to a mishap. Things happen, and we have to support our guests. Too bad I was not around but as you say, I always try to catch up during my absence… All the best. Francisco.-

PS: Just one little thing, we have 2 rooms with LED TV’s and Satellite TV upon request, I’m sorry if you wanted to have a TV in your room. No extra cost for that… only guests preferences.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I can't say enough nice things about our experience with Tikay Killa. It's a small 4 room lodge in the Maipu wine country of Argentina and is within biking distance to all the wineries up there. One of the best things about this place though is the fact that it's completely ran by one of the owners, Francisco. I've never met an owner who takes such pride in his guests and business. Once our stay was complete, we headed down to Buenos Aires only to realize we had left our camera with hundreds of photos. Before we landed, I had an email from Francisco saying he was sending it with the nice Dutch family staying next to us at Tikay and they would meet us in BA to return the camera. Honest, kind, hardworking, and cool...what more can you ask in someone in hospitality? I would definitely recommend Tikay Killa and will visit again the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Francisco P, Propietario at TikayKilla Lodge & Wines, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Hi Brian, thanks very much for the lovely review. It was a pleasure to have you with us and share time with you. Thanks again for the nice comments not only about Tikay, but myself also... all the very best for both of you... warm regards. Francisco.-

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maipu
Esplendor Mendoza
#2 of 9 in Chacras de Coria
Cavas Wine Lodge
Cavas Wine Lodge
#1 of 4 in Lujan de Cuyo

Been to TikayKilla Lodge & Wines? Share your experiences!