“Nice but very commercial”
Review of Bikes and Wines

Bikes and Wines
Ranked #2 of 4 Tours in Maipu
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The bike and wine tour was nice to do, considering you are biking on a highway. Big trucks and busses will pass you by. We did one Olive oil tasting which was amazing. Staff was very friendly and nice. However the winetasting was very commercial, you pay, go inside and sitbdown. You are offered 4 tiny glasses of wine, without any accompanying explanation provided. The girl looked bored and was rushing us, as if we were keeping her from something. All in all we were in and out within 15 minutes

There are newer reviews for Bikes and Wines

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Mr Hugo is the best, nice tour and friendly staff! Lot's of possibilities to visit museum, wineyards, but all at your own tempo!

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We came to the Bikes and Wines office after we tried a couple of agencies down the road, who were quite pushy.

The person who was in the Bikes and Wines shop gave us very good bikes (with gears!) and sent us off with maps marked up with the places to see (we had only 3 hours). He spoke excellent English and was very helpful.

We would recommend.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I write this negative review with a heavy heart because I so wanted to enjoy this experience. Before I get into the bad stuff, I must say... the owner, Diego, is a kind and generous guy who selflessly helped me and my partner out of a bind while we were searching for an ATM. His help that day was a lifesaver and was very much appreciated!!

Unfortunately, everything else was a let down. Other people might enjoy it, as long as you know what you are getting in to. The bikes we were given were functional and did not break down. But they were old and cheap. The seats were hard as concrete and my partner's seat would not stay in position so it was extra uncomfortable. The worst part, however, is that the Maipu area is just not good for cyclists. The roads are in bad shape. Only a very short section of dedicated bike path exists. Everywhere else, you are sharing the road with all manner of vehicles, including huge transport trucks going to/from the wineries. Street signs were few and far between. We got slightly off track a few times because we found that in some spots there were street signs in only one direction. We called it quits after about 2.5 hours and only three wineries, even though we planned to spend the entire day in Maipu. A more adventurous cyclist used to offroad conditions would probably enjoy it more, but then that kind of cyclist would demand a better bike! Cost was 35 pesos per person.

My advice... join a guided tour of Maipu if you are going there for the wineries. Only one local operator runs wine tours in Maipu (Ampora) and I now wish we had done that instead.

1  Thank jameskul
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The terrible bikes from Bikes and Wines in Maipu ruined our day. The pedal on one bike completely snapped off (see photo) and then the chain on the replacement bike came off every 50m's so was unrideable (and also left me and my clothes covered in grease) - to make matters worse, the replacement bike only had chain brakes (i.e. push backward on the pedals to stop) so each time the chain came off you had no way of braking. On returning to the shop (we had to get driven back) there was no refund or apology. Bikes and Wines will happily take your money and provide you with bad bikes, there's no concern for the customer here

2  Thank uktoddy