“Interesting space - not great value” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Aguamiel

El Aguamiel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Maipu
Chicago
“Interesting space - not great value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

We had high expectations for Hotel Aguamiel based on TripAdvisor ratings, and on first sight we were not disappointed. The buildings and grounds are beautiful, peaceful, and architecturally unique. One of the owners is an architect, and it shows. We ended up less than completely satisfied with our stay here, however, for several reasons: One, the rooms are modern and uniquely styled but inherently rather uncomfortable -- imagine a bed, without accompanying chair or couch, placed in the middle of a concrete box. Form over function. Two, there was a strong sewer smell coming from the bathroom no matter what we did to try to stop it (really - we're not picky, the smell was pretty strong), and we didn't want to bother the owners with that detail. And three, given all this, we felt like the price to stay here was way too high (especially when we realized we'd been charged over $60 USD for two salads with empanadas made for us one evening in the hotel's dining area). We'd like to let other travelers know, in addition, that this is a small property surrounded by an electric fence -- it feels like a small walled compound very separate from the locals and the surrounding area, for better or worse. The vineyard is not yet producing wine, but this will likely change in upcoming years. All of this aside, the pool area and vineyard were beautiful, the view of the Andes from our patio and the breakfast area were delightful, and our hosts were very hospitable. Mendoza and Maipu are fun to explore! However, we're not sure we'd stay at this particular hotel again given its current price.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WanderingChicken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

This is a fine spot if you want to cheaply travel outside the city of Mendoza. You are in wine country, but you are also neighbors to the locals, who fire their guns until dark and whose dogs bark incessantly.

This is NOT a "boutique gem" or other silly name, and it's not worth 215 bucks to stay there at peak season. That said, we did have some good emanadas and a relaxing bottle of wine. I just don't anyone to think this is some overlooked diamond in the rough. If you can get in and out for less than 100 a night, you're OK; otherwise, you're getting fleeced.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank petelehrman
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

This wonderful hideaway is perfect for a few days. We staying in the city for a few days and then wanted to relax so we went to Aquamiel. The staff are great. The food is divine and the rooms are lovely. For those who like smaller boutique hideaways this is ideal.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at El Aguamiel for 2 nights in October 2009 and loved every second. The rooms are large adjoined huts, with an open plan bedroom and bath/shower and en-suite WC. Each room has large sliding doors that open out onto a terrace area overlooking the vineyard and the Andes in the distance.

The owners of Aguamiel are architects, and designed every aspect of the site - the result is a modern, elegant place to stay in beautiful location.

We ate at Aguamiel on our first night and were treated to a fantastic set-menu, 5-course meal with probably the best steak I had in argentina - and there were many to choose from! It's well worth eating in whilst you are there.

Leiticia was more than happy to arrange our driver from our first hotel in Mendoza, as well as a wine tour (where she selected 3 great wineries) and horseback riding.

As a location, it is great as a base for the wine tours (which is why most people come to the area) and a lovely place to simply sit and stare at the mountains with a glass of wine in hand - but there isn't a town/village centre within walking distance or any other amenities worth speaking of.

Aguamiel is quiet - it is certainly a place to relax and sit back during the day and evening. But that was exactly what we were after - and we were not dissapointed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

This time I visited Mendoza for business. Rather then staying in the usual business hotels in downtown Mendoza I decided to rent a car (very economic at [--]) and to stay at the beautiful located Aguamiel only 20 min. drive from downtown Mendoza. The great thing is that I saved all together money and my stay was so much more relaxing!
The owners Gustavo and Leticia are lovely people whom immediately become close friends with lots of interesting stories about their lives. Both architects from profession they have seen the world and then purchased this land and build this beautiful wooden style "Posada" and surrounded it by 1,75 ha. of the best vineyards in the region. Bodega Alta Vista who uses it for their highest end Alta Vista Premium wines is buying the grapes. Which Gustavo is obviously happy to serve it to you!

The rooms are big and elegantly decorated. The double size bed is great (to me, being pretty tall, always a big issue). Waking up in the morning seeing the sun shining on the Andes mountains makes you feel fit do whatever challenge that day is going to bring to you (see picture).
Besides, being winter during my stay, it was only one of the few Posada’s open and not under construction or closed from some other unclear reason. The food matched the highest rated restaurants in Mendoza.

I loved it and I can recommend not only tourists but definitely business people to choose this location for their next stay in the Mendoza area!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

I will start by saying that I dont often take the time to write reviews. However, in this case, it is my pleasure to.

There are few places I have visited in my life that hit me so hard that I was left without the words to describe their beauty, authenticity, and serenity. El Aguamiel is one of them. I was somewhat uneasy about staying at a hotel that was not part of a big chain (i.e. hyatt, hilton). Yet, this incredible cabaña-styled hotel and the modern idea and philosophy behind its creation, proved to me that if I were just a little more of a risk-taker, I would have found a place like this before.

As a guest, I first noticed two things about this place. One was the location. The hotel is located just a few miles away from the Andes mountainrange. Each of the rooms offer a perfect view of the snowcapped mountains lying behind the hotel's very own vineyard. Believe me when I say that there is nothing better than waking up, opening up the bambo blinds, and feasting my eyes with what lied out into the horizon. My girlfriend and I could literally spend the entire day gazing at the what was in front of us.

The second thing I noticed was the level of attention that the owners and their staff gave us. Gustavo, the designer and owner of the hotel, made sure to stop by every now and then with a bottle of wine from the hotel's very own vineyard and ask if everything was ok with our stay. He is a very interesting person and gave us great advice as to places to visit and the restaurants to eat at, he even arranged many of our activities and reservations for us. Not to mention he is an amazing cook. As the chef of hotel's restaurant, he prepared us and the other guests one of the greatest meals I ever ate. A filet mignon steak with a malbec reduction glaze. Delicious.

I could go on and on about the wonders of this hotel and if could go there again right now, I would.

I was delighted with my stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
new york,NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed in Mendoza for four days . El Aguamiel proved to be an excellent choice for the family . We were coming from Buenos Aires and this very cozy hotel's location, not far from Mendoza's airport but in the middle of a beautiful countryside and with great views of snow capped imposing mountains proved to be the perfect complement to the urban experience at busy Buenos Aires. The hotel is very modern with comfortable individual cottages, all designed with an ecological twist that adds to the charm of it. It is exquisitely run by the owners, and you can really see that every effort is placed in atending the guests needs. Highly reccomendable!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maipu
Villa Mansa Wine Hotel & Spa
#2 of 6 in Maipu
Casa Glebinias
Casa Glebinias
#1 of 9 in Chacras de Coria

Been to El Aguamiel? Share your experiences!