“Great Find”
Review of L'Annexe

L'Annexe
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A very nice restaurant in the old town of Saint-Jean d'Angely, possible to eat inside or outside, open every day in summer !
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We planned to go to Le Scorlion but it was fully booked so we went across the square to L'annexe. The meal was first class. I had the Blue cheese with potatoes and it would have done as a main. For the main we (all 3) had steak which was cooked to perfection. The service was friendly and everyone in the premises seemed to enjoy their meal. If you want a good meal at reasonable prices give this place a try. We will be returning a few times this year.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

3 adults and 3 children, adults went for the €19 menu. Salad starters were very well presented and a really good portion. Fish soup was also very nice. Main course was also very well presented and probably the best steak I have had in France. Very tender. The deserts were also very nice. Service was just right, attentive but not in your face. One of the best meals we have has in St jean d'angley, will certainly be back.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We liked the location of this restaurant in the centre of town, and the outside seating area had a great atmosphere, shaded under trees with mini lights - perfect for a summers lunch or evening meal. Waitresses were efficient. We were disappointed in the quality of the food and price. I ordered the large steak which I was told could not be "well done". In reality it was very large and so gristly I could not finish, plus one side of it was pink, the other charcoal. It came with a large bowl of potato chunks and (seriously) a very small carrot and half a baby tomato. Desert was one of their "trademark" icecreams - but in fact was mini scoops of mint choc chip, sprayed with cream from a can, plopped in a casserole dish, with unrecognisable liqueur on top. My partner fared better. The duck breast was large and juicy, and the accompanying fish soup was basic but had flavour. The bill (including one beer each, 3 courses) was 80 Euros. We've eaten elsewhere in this part of France much better for less money and won't be dining here again.

1  Thank springy100
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Loving St Jean, a jem in France, eating out here is a must. L`Annexe is normaly good food and good service, but I recomend a vist off season if good food and good service is what you are looking for. We deceided to have lunch outside there yestaerday and the salad, was according to my friend the worst she has had in Farnce and the service was matching the salad, to put it kindly. When I payd, I said to the lady who ahd served us, that she was extreemly unfriendly and the meal would bee remembered for all the wrong reasons, she replied "This is the French way. You are in Farnce now". I had to respond that there is nothing wrong with Farnce or the French, it is her attitude that is the problem.
I higly recomend some of the other alternatives in St Jean during high season and than visit L`Annexe in low season.

2  Thank Borghild S
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We popped in last week on a hot evening for a meal and L'Annex has a nice outside eating area. The staff were pretty busy and the service was a little slow, but we were in no hurry.

The starters were lovely, big salads in rather unusual bowls with generous proportions of sliced meat. I had a blue cheese salad with potatoes (or so I thought) for main course - I had visions of a salad with a few new potatoes and a bit of crumbled blue cheese. What I got was lovely and very filling! - essentially roasted pototoes covered in a thick cooked blue cheese layer, with salad on the side.

My friends seemed pretty happy with their own meals and the carafe of red wine was quite quaffable. Probably unfairly this restaurant is scored down from very good to average - not as a result of their own actions but that of another group of guests (sadly English) who were letting their 'little darlings' run absolutely wild, screaming and shouting - making the whole experience considerably less relaxing for the rest of us!

1  Thank Roodeberglodge