“Philippine Contemporary Art + Green gardens is a good enough reason to travel to Antipolo”
Review of Pinto Art Museum

Pinto Art Museum
Makati, Philippines
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Now Antipolo for me is way far off...but the expansive, beautiful gardens and exhibits of Philippine contemporary art was worth the long trip from Makati City.

My first thought was - wow! I never thought something like this existed in Antipolo.
Art galleries are spread around the country, but "Pinto Art Museum" took me back to the last time I had visited an outdoor museum. I had enjoyed it so much but didn't think there was anything back in my country which could have the same kind of thrust. This is still not of the level of what I had experienced in that other one, but it does not make it less enjoyable and its unique because its Filipino.

The verdant and green gardens would surely be enjoyed by children with their energetic scampering around. A big rocking horse, unusual sundial, even a shabby-chic bed can be seen when you first enter the grounds and situated near the gallery shop which, during the time we were here, made me gape in astonishment - it featured works which reminded me of the decor I find in the old Catholic churches back in my hometown - harking all the way back to the Spanish-colonial era. Small wonder as the artist was known to have a hand in restoring some churches in Bohol.

There's a smattering of mission-style buildings on the grounds - and its white outlines against the flowering shrubs and other art installations gives it a look which makes you think - surely you must be in another country?

The display of Philippine contemporary art, which encompasses Dr. Joven Cuanang's collection
and other for sale items will take some time to go over. If you breeze through it, you may not notice or appreciate just-around-the-corner whimsical exhibits. One room which startled me featured gentle murmuring voices of women - appropriately titled "Usapang Babae" (Women Talk) and not only was it amusing but the room was cool - a good respite from the heat which does plague the country during this time.

There was this room which made me think of a night spent in a zen-like bamboo grove in Japan - complete with water plopping daintily into water basins filled with round smooth pebbles. All very soothing and smelling of green leaves.

Aside from paintings and sculptures which make you pause, the architecture of the buildings housing the collection is delightful. You might see some bamboo on the ceilings, a wooden bench which totally belongs to the "art" theme and despite the huge space, wheelchair-bound visitors do not have to worry about the stairs from one room to another as there's a ramp.

There's also a cafe inside though it was closed during our visit. If you come here during weekends, this art museum would be probably more crowded...but aside from the visitor which might like to see art, its also now and then populated with those interested in having a prenup-photoshoot or even possibly a picnic.

I could wax ecstatic about this museum situated in the Silangan Gardens - even if I felt I didn't get to see all of it a s we were in a rush with other matters, I certainly would like to visit this again.

"Pinto" means door in Filipino.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank cuh888

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Secret should be out!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Spent a peaceful and relaxing morning enjoying a beautiful garden and a collection of contemporary Philippine Art. Andy Orencio (who is also an artist) took us around the place. He is very knowledgeable about art and will give you an interesting commentary about the museum pieces.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank bougainvillababe
Manila
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Total hidden gem of a museum set in spectacular gardens”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We learned about the Pinto Art Museum from the Crescent Moon Cafe, where we had lunch. It was only a few minutes' drive away, and a really nice way to walk off the lunch. The museum is easy to find, and the gardens are spectacular. The children had a fantastic time wandering around and looking at everything, climbing stairs and checking out the many nooks and crannys of the museum while we strolled through the art collection.

We met one resident artist who took us through the third wing which we had missed, and his descriptions and backgrounds really helped us enjoy the artwork even more. While walking through the grounds, he picked berries for us to eat and showed us leaves with medicinal properties.

Next time, we'll also stop into the museum restaurant, run by Bizu, and have a cup of coffee and just admire the grounds. There are tables set up all around the property, so you have many choices of where to sit.

Combined with lunch at the Crescent Moon Cafe, the Pinto Art Museum makes for a really nice day trip from Manila. We'll be back with other families and visitors for sure.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank ManilaExpatMom
Manila, Philippines
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Collection of Contemporary Filipino Art”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Pros:
Expansive site in Antipolo housing a significant collection of contemporary Filipino art
Look for Andy. He'll give you a great guided tour and will talk about the pieces.
Entrance fee is only P100 per head. I think that's quite a deal.
Great architecture.
Great for pre-nup photo shoots.
Great for wine and cheese parties. Really.
Food by Bizu but only on weekends.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank JongLee
Manila
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Dream-like, stunning--JUST BRING EXACT CHANGE OR ELSE!”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My visit to the Pinto Museum was... OMG. Beyond. Words. The artworks were really powerful and riveting, and the place is absolutely stunning and dream-like. I always go to that part of Antipolo to longboard but I didn't know that such a gem of a place was there.

The place has big galleries, showcasing excellent works of Filipino artists. This is a mix of paintings, sculptures and magnificent installations with varying themes. Going about the galleries is also an experience, with beautiful landscapes unfolding and surprising as you walk about. You will be enthralled with their picturesque gardens, lush foliage, winding stair cases and a fantastic view of Metro Manila.

DEFINITELY A MUST-VISIT!

Just wanted to share a bad experience though... =(

I paid 500 pesos to one of the guys in uniform, and they said they don't have change so I'll go back for it later. When we were on our way out, we were met by a different person, a middle-aged lady. I asked if they have brochures so I can recommend the place for events, to which she flat-out just said "WALA." (none) Okay, the lady kinda brushed me off but I just figured I'll go online if I want info.

Then I asked for my change, I kindly explained the situation and asked for my change, but instead she IRRITABLY AND IN ONE BREATH (almost like an interrogation) asked me who I gave my money to. I apologetically said I didn't get the name. And in a sarcastic way, said "eh pano yan, hindi ko naman alam yan, wala akong pera dito, di ko naman kilala kung sino ang pinag-bigyan mo. Eh kung hanapin mo na lang kaya. Hanapin mo saka ko ibibigay ang pera mo"

[what am I gonna do, I don't have money here, I don't know who you gave your money to. Why don't you look for the person, look for him and I'll give you the money] motioning for me and my friend to get out and look for the guy.

I was so pissed because I was VERY POLITE and EVEN APOLOGETIC. I didn't appreciate being shouted at, especially after nice experience we had here. In the first place, it should be the job of the person handling the cash to have change! Secondly, given, I didn't have change, sige na, my bad, I didn't get the name of the guy, my bad, but WHY SO MEAN? For a mere 300 bucks, they feel the need to humiliate their patron and treat them like a scam artist? This is a museum, right? Not a public market?

I don't care if the lady owns the place, or if she's some big shot artist or even if she's the mayor of Antipolo. This lady was just so ARROGANT AND MEAN, and should learn to treat people better. Just so sad cause the place is soooooo.. beyond words! =(

So in sum, it was a nice experience, definitely will be coming back, but hope you guys tell your friends to BRING EXACT CHANGE if they want to go here, unless they like being treated like a scam artist. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

* How to go here:
- Take the Masinag route up to Antipolo passing Padi's Point and Assumption Antipolo.
- After Banker's Village / overpass (the only one there), turn right
- and then turn left at the first corner (after the bridge)
- At the Y in the road with USA 88 gas station, turn right
- Turn left when you see Ynares
- Turn right at the intersection near Chic-Boy
- You will go into Grand Heights subdivision, turn right at the first corner and you'll see a compound of white structures.

* If in doubt, ask people at the side of the street for: Ynares / Grand Heights / Loremar Subdivision

Visited January 2012