“Special”

Ranked #2 of 12 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Redondo Beach, California
“Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Monika, the owner, has created a miniature Eden while preserving a personalized experience that feels as if you "discovered" it. I agree with the glowing reviews on TA of Lucky Bug, but unlike so many other popular destinations, it does not cater to the large tourist buses or advertise with tacky signs all over the Arenal area trying to draw the crowds in. Instead, you will feel as if you are visiting family you haven't seen in awhile and are welcome into their home. However, the property is big enough that you have plenty of room to wander around and take in the tranquil beauty on your own. We stayed in the Sun Suite for 3 nights which was more than enough room for my husband, daughter and I, and we liked that we had our own kitchen. Waking up to the rainforest - howler monkeys, bird calls, occasional rain - was soul satisfaction. The breakfasts are hearty and the coffee is Costa Rican strong. Enjoy happy hour on the veranda while chatting with other guests. This is a place you come to rest and leave behind your agenda. We loved it so much that we booked our return trip already.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
It was so nice having you with us, and so glad you had a nice time. You have such a nice family, and I think Spike misses your daughter. I hope you got some really good pics with that great camera. And glad you had such a good experience at the Hanging Bridges. And you got to take a detour around a road that washed out. NEW Costa Rica EXPERIENCE!!!

Thanks for the nice review.

Looking forward to seeing you in December.

Monika

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at Lucky Bug for several nights a couple of weeks ago. The place is idyllic, with the sound of the rainforest at night, and bird calls in the morning. Particularly enjoyed the included breakfast on the restaurant veranda, overlooking the pond. Lots of good fruit, by the way. Also had lunch and the food was excellent, tasty and tastefully arranged. You should be aware that the restaurant doesn't serve evening meals, but that isn't much of a problem, as the restaurants in Nuevo Arenal are less than 10 minutes away. Very much recommended.

Room Tip: The Butterfly room has a nice deck where you can sit and enjoy the night sounds, when it isn't r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
It was nice having you here. I do make vegetarian dishes frequently, but not usually vegan, but that provided a nice challenge for me. Enjoyed meeting you and I am glad you enjoyed our recommendation on the activity and guide we suggested. Thanks for the nice review. Please come and stay with us again and I can get some more practice on other vegan offerings...:)

Monika Krauskopf
Humble, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I toured Costa Rica for a month and this was our last stop before returning to Playa Hermosa. Monika is a wonderful hostess and a great cook - we loved our breakfasts. The location is nicely landscaped and quiet. The restaurant and shop are on the road but the rooms are far enough away that you will not even know that there is a road nearby. It is an easy drive to the small town of Nuevo Arenal. The town has the basics (gas station, Mercado, bank, etc.) including a nice little bar/restaurant. We spent three peaceful days there exploring the area. It was so nice to enjoy sleeping with no air conditioning - just a cool breeze and the sounds of nature. Be aware that there are no TVs in the rooms so bring a book. WIFI was available in the room and in the restaurant.

Room Tip: I think that there are only 5 rooms. We were fortunate that we had our choice since it was low seas...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice review. I am glad you had a good time with us. Also glad we could hook you up with someone to show you the area and help you make an informed decision. Hope the rest of your stay in Costa Rica is good, and please come back and see us when your back in the country.

Redwood City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My friend and I were luck enough to visit Costa Rica this last April, and we had the most divine lunch at the Lucky Bug! First off, the place is adorable even from the road and the entry is most enchanting! When we were there, there was an amazing amount of tadpoles in the pond! Wish I could have been there to see them blossom into frogs (one of my favorite creatures!) The gift shop is full of local artisan art (the house we rented in Las Flores had a lot of the art in it), and the local artisans are very talented. We ate out on the deck (even the tables are very artsy!) and the food and service was excellent! In fact, when I got home, I had to email Monika to share her chicken, pineapple, mango salsa recipe with me - and she did! When you dine on the deck, the view of the pond and the flora and fauna is really something. I think this was one of the most pleasurable dinig experiences ever! For food, Luck Bug is a MUST destination! Thank you Monika for a wonderful experience and an awesome meal!
Susan Bassett

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan B
LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thanks so much for nice review. Yes, everyone seems to like the view from the restaurant and I am so glad you love the food. Hopefully the recipe I sent you worked for you. Hope to see you again soon.

Playas Del Coco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

If your looking to see the true beaty of Costa Rica then go stay at the Lucky Bug. It has all the Birds,Plants right outside your window. Want to take a walk in the Jungle or a canoe ride on private pond it is here. I tried my luck at fishing and caught some nice size rainbow bass and I believe there is a trophy bass in that pond we had an encounter and he won. I'll be back...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks so much for your review and I am glad you had a good time at my B&B. You have given me an idea to try to get that huge fish you are talking about, but if are coming back, I will hold off. Thanks again.
We have been going down each night after we close the restaurant and feeding the fish. They used to be small, but now are getting good size. Come back soon. There are alot of them.

Playa Hermosa, Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I live in the Pacific NW region of Costa Rica but I picked up friends in San Jose that were visiting from the States. I wanted to show them differrent parts of the country so we toured around the Central Valley and ended that part of the trip in the Arenal area. We stayed at the Lucky Bug on recommendation from other friends. I'm so happy that we did! Each room is individually and magnificently decorated with art and appointed with quality furnishings and linens. My stateside guests were a little taken aback by no air conditioning or internet service in the rooms but I threw open the sliding doors to a small balcony, opened the windows and listened to the thunderstorm as it approached and wondered why we would even "need" those things! And I was right - one of the best and most peaceful nights sleep I have had in a long time! The grounds are beautiful and filled with flowers and plants that attract butterfies and hummingbirds. Breakfast is included in their lovely restaurant overlooking the small lake on the property. While waiting for our breakfast to be cooked to order we wandered through the attached art gallery. I could have spent a day looking at all the gorgeous and one of a kind artwork and crafts made by both the owner (Monica) and local artisans! We left rested and happy and returned home only to discover that my guest left her wedding ring in the shower. I called the front desk at Lucky Bug and the VERY helpful young man went on a quest to find it and find it he did. Between Monica and him we made arrangements to have it hand delivered to me in Guanacaste. Great service by very nice people in a lovely B&B!!!

Room Tip: My room (Butterfly Room) overlooked the small lake and grounds. Very relaxing to listen to the frog...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice words about my property. I have been wrestling with whether or not to provide internet access in the rooms. As you may know, there is internet at the main house which is close to the B&B and also at the restaurant and gallery. However, that would mean you would need to sit outside the house to get internet. I have purchased a router and a 3G stick, and now have internet available to all the rooms. However, if you chose not to use it and just listen to the peace and quiet, that is your decision. :)
We love hearing the reviews from everyone and take them seriously. So, there is now free WIFI internet in the rooms also.
Thanks again,
West Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

If you are lucky, and get to stay at LUCKY BUG B & B then you should consider yourselves VERY LUCKY indeed. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The food in the restaurant is great and the Owner, Monica will make you feel so welcome that you will not want to leave. She is also a wealth of information on the local sites and attractions. Even if you don't stay here, at least stop in and have a meal and browse the shop. It is definitely worth it and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LuckyBugCostaRica, Owner at Lucky Bug B & B, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I try to keep the rooms fresh by rotating the decorations periodically. Please come back to see us and we appreciate your business.

Thanks,

4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,751 reviews
Agua Inn
Agua Inn
#4 of 12 in Nuevo Arenal

Been to Lucky Bug B & B? Share your experiences!