“Cute little restaurant with rescue birds & frogs”

Toad Hall Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 22 Restaurants in Nuevo Arenal
Cuisines: International, American, South American, Costa Rican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Great Food, Friends, Fun and a Fabulous View. IMPORTANT DETAIL: The hotel and restaurant is under new ownership as of March 2016. We're happy to have a fully remodeled place for you to enjoy! The Heart of the Toad Hall Hotel! If you are looking for a place to sit back and enjoy the Arenal jungle, make sure to take a trip to the Arenal Lake Restaurant & Bar. It's the perfect place to bring the family and friends to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. If you are looking for unique Arenal Lake restaurant, you've found your spot! We offer you a delightful fusion of Costa Rica and Texas cuisine at affordable prices. As soon as you walk through the door you'll feel like home. The experience is one of a kind!
Los Angeles, California
“Cute little restaurant with rescue birds & frogs”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great marketing efforts (all done by the employees themselves) led us to stop here. Wasn't expecting much so we were pleasantly surprised. Employees were very nice and told us the story behind the rescue birds they house (parrots and macaws). Be sure to order one of the specials on the board and order the guacamole! Not cheap but we thought it we'll worth the stop.

• Visited June 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The new owners have put an unbelievable amount of work into resting Toad Hall and deserve a lot of praise for their effort.

I had lunch there on June 10, 2014 and found it to be just another road side restaurant. The staff was pleasant and service was good. Then again we were the only people in the restaurant at that time.

We ordered two pina colada's which were nice and two of the mixed plate specials which consisted of one fish taco, one chicken skewer, black beans, rica, guacamole and a corn meal item. The food was heavy and lacked flavor. the only thing that was ok was the taco. We both felt sick the rest of the day.

The bill came to 30,000 colonies and I was paying with US dollars. I was surprised when the cashier at the hostess area she the total was $60.00 I questioned her exchange rate and she said that was the price/rate. Everywhere else in CR 30,000 should be around $53.50. I had already left $10.00 as a tip for our server as an extra tips as restaurants add a 10% service charge to your bill already so my total for a quick lunch was $70.00 US.

I appreciate and respect that the owners are doing good things for the community but I am giving them my honest feedback.

Over all I didn't like my visit to Toad Hall, and I agree with other reviewers that the over 100 signs the restaurant has posted in both direction of the road around Lake Arenal are overkill and somewhat disrespecting to the beauty of the area. My fear is every other restaurant will jump on the bandwagon because there is no regulations limiting this practice.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank 978travler
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cute little place with amazing guacamole”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We thought while a little tacky the signs leading up to this restaurant and away from the restaurant were cute! If the reviewers that were so upset about the signs read the facts about the signs that are posted at toad hall they would see that while a little tacky they do a lot of good. As far as the food goes the guacamole and chips here were amazing. My daughter had a mango smoothie here and it was like nectar from the heavens. The staff were very friendly, our kids loved Sammie the toucan, and I am the first person to say birds don't belong in cages but there was a permit displayed by the cages from Costa Rican wildlife granting the owners permission to care for these rescued birds. I watched as one of the owners went to the cage to talk to the bird and there was a clear bond between them.

The fish tacos we had were good, and the nacho plate my girls shared was amazing. I would recommend a stop at this little gem if you are driving through the area.

• Visited April 2014
Washington, DC
“Wish we'd passed it up”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

As a previous reviewer noted, this restaurant has so many advertising signs along the road for miles before you get to the restaurant. They were very annoying signs proclaiming all kinds of unbelievable accolades. We were hungry and in a hurry so stopped here and wish we hadn't. The food is mediocre at best. Not disgusting but nothing special, overpriced for what it is and where it is, and rather limited menu. Cleanliness dubious. Fantastic views and the service was friendly. There are several smallish and sad cages containing "rescued" toucans and parrots. No real information on their history so it's hard to say why they are there. Could be legit but the place has a carnival-like atmosphere and it wouldn't be surprising if these poor animals are mere accessories. Wish we'd gone somewhere else.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank rebkitty
Denver
“too many signs for toad hall”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

we tried the fish tacos, and they are not the best fish tacos on the planet as their goofy signs for hours claimed. I'm surprised someone doesn't site them for littering they have so many signs approaching from both directions. The pina colada may have been the best on the planet, but it didn't get a sign ha ha. The fish tacos were good, just not great. The cold beer in the frosty mug was my hubby's favorite part.

Visited March 2014