“Best trip ever”

Ranked #6 of 12 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Brandon, Canada
“Best trip ever”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed at toad hall and it was awesome it was very nice , Jeff and Lydia were so nice and such a beautiful view too they also had 2 rare parrots that talk to you and a toucan. One evening everyone was done working and the resteraunt was closed and we asked for suggestions were to eat and Jeff took us to the kitchen and cooked us supper he even letted me help him cook, we had so much fun. BEST TRIP EVER!!!!!!!!! From Ed, Nic and Brooklyn

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Brooklyn H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Long Island, NY
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My family stayed at Toad Hall in February of 2014. Being a family of 5, we rented the Villa Arriba which fit our family comfortably. The drive from Liberia airport took us about 2 and a half hours. The last hour of the road is long and winding. Thank goodness for all the Toad Hall signs because they let us know we were on the correct road. It also prevented my kids from getting carsick because they focused on finding the next sign instead of worrying about the endless number of curves in the road. The signs were a blessing. The pool was good for a quick dip and the food was delicious. I never liked guacamole before but I do now! It was really good. We cooked a few of our own meals in Villa Arriba. The kitchen was small but was fine as long as we kept the meal very simple. The view at Toad Hall was amazing and the boys enjoyed visiting the rescued birds several times each day. The drive to most of our excursions were about 45 minutes away. We were always happy to return each day to the friendliness and comfort of Toad Hall. Lydia and Jeff were always kind and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Jeff was especially kind to my boys and offered them simple jobs to do around the place to earn some ice cream and gifts from the gift shop. They loved every minute of their "jobs". What a great place with wonderful owners. We would go back again in a heart beat. Wish I was there now

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This review gets an average rating because the food wasn't very good, But, the view was spectacular. I would recommend a stop for a cold drink and just to relax. Eat somewhere else.

There is also a small shop on the premises.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

The accommodations are clean, spacious and creatively decorated. We stayed in the private jungle suite and would definitely go back again. There's nothing like enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, which is provided, and taking in the sounds and the amazing view of Lake Arenal in our screened in living room. Talk about bringing the outdoors in! There's also a restaurant affiliated with the hotel so ordering from there and having 'room service' , is the best! Definitely one of our highlights of our trip to Costa Rica! There are oodles of signs raving about how great this place is along the way, but none at the forks in the road telling you which direction to go to get there. Less "We're Sooooooo Great!" and more "Go this way =>" signs would make this already fantastic place even better.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I were driving from fortuna back west when I struck the most massive pothole ever about 800m before toad hall. I ended up popping two tires and limping into toad hall. After arriving the owner ran out to help us. He told me to put my feet up and grab a beer, wouldn't even let me change my own tire. He took my mangled tire to town and got it checked out. He spent two hours getting me up and out. Unfortunately the tire was so mangled we got stranded there for approximately 7 hours. After learning it will be another 4 hours to get two spares to our location from the rent a car company, they offered us a room to use to go watch football and just relax and take a load off. We were leaving the next day and a little stressed out. The owner let us use her personal cell phone to contact the car company, kept checking in on us. This is the true spirit of good hearted individuals. They care and couldn't be more helpful. I thank both of them again, and wish them the best in everything they do. Also food was great. The fist tacos and nachos were excellent, and I do love the guacamole. The room we did get to relax in was awesome, and had the most spectacular view. I would love to come back to costa rica and stay here again. Plus I need to fill that stupid pothole!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Port Moody, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Driving toward Fortuna from Liberia, we began seeing an endless array of signs for Toad Hall. Best staff, best guacamole, bets fish tacos, best bathrooms, and on and on. Being a sucker for promotion, we decided we had to stop. The place is in an interesting location and has good views. We found the staff at the restaurant to be disinterested at best. However, I must say the chicken nachos were great and the guacamole was excellent. And they did have clean bathrooms.

Overall, as good a place as any to stop for a rest on this twisty, tiring drive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Needed a break from "that drive" from monteverde to la fortuna. A glass of chardonnay & the ceviche was so nice @ the bar. Great ceviche, beautiful view, nice bartender girl. Bought a t shirt in the store. $30.00 US but a cool shirt.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
#12 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
#21 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Toad Hall Hotel Arenal? Share your experiences!