“So much fun”

and 1 more site!
Toad Hall Hotel Arenal
Ranked #6 of 13 Nuevo Arenal B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Great owners, fun place to be. Thanks to Lydia and Jeff for a great experience.
Loved the parrots and Tucan. Loved to just sit at the bar and meet new people.
Look forward to going back and spending some time and maybe going for a horseback ride.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is my 85th country and I love to travel, often with a big budget. But I didn't need a big budget here as I had a very fairly priced two well furnished large rooms for my family of five with an amazing view of the top canopies of the rain forest (which is where you want to be to see the birds) and the lake in the background. I actually feel sorry for the folks at the five star resort paying $500 more a night because there is no way their place is as great as this. The hosts were spectacularly friendly and gave great advice. Within minutes of arrival we saw a flock of Tucans in the tree about 50 feet from our room and dozens of other colorful birds. The bar and restaurant is great. I often don't give great reviews cause I'm really picky, but this place gets one. I spent each night with Jeff, the owner, sitting at the bar and swapping stories to the sound of the rain forest. He treated my children fantastic. He arranged a horse back riding trip where the horses picked us all up in front of Toad Hall and we road up into the mountains with a local rancher who didn't restrict my desire to run the horses. You have to stay here.
Now, to keep this balanced with the downsides: there is a city of Nueva Arenla about 15 minutes away by car and La Fortuna is about 30 minutes away...but that is also the benefit as you really are away from the tourist and experiencing nature here. Seriously, I can usually find something to complain about, but I can't think of anything. That's not like me....guess you will have to read my reviews of other places to see complaints. Attached are photos I took, including the Tucan from my room and my family returning on the horses.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FrequentTravler8
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Food is awesome, ate there 3times on our week stay back in Oct. 2013, we had burger's twice, then came back for dinner, which was a 5 course meal, every attention to details, very romantic one of those experiences I'll never forget, Lydia and Jeff are the most wonderful people you'd ever want to meet; very warm, friendly, sooo welcoming. Views are beautiful, the pool is great, they even have a gift shop that has so many beautiful things. We can't wait to go back, planning a trip for early 2014, see you soon.

2  Thank Loujimmy
Reviewed November 29, 2013

The sign that got me was 41 curves to toad hall. Food was good. Fish tacos ok but the gauc made them great. Husband's nachos were good. As stated before atmosphere and the view are more than worth the stop. Cold beer mugs !!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvgoing
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The view is amazingly beautiful. We stopped because we were tired of driving mountain switch backs and needed a break...and well because all the sign are intriguing!! Did not disappoint. I had fish tacos and enjoyed them especially the guac. Hubs had the chicken kabob which he loved! The birds are a great addition to the ambience and the service and hospitality are superb! We just ate...no lodging as we already had reservations further down the road.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 21, 2013

After reading the reviews, especially regarding the signs, we really didn't know what to expect. What we got were an amazing couple of days and time spent with fun people enjoying a gorgeous spot on Lake Arenal. We found the signs in no way overbearing or anything other than kind of whimsical, especially knowing that the kids in the area make them. The location has spectacular views and The Jungle Suite was perfect. We were concerned because it was over the bar; however, in the off season all is quiet by around 6:00- it's the morning that can be a little noisy! We woke up to animals and parrots talking to each other about being beautiful and cooking. So funny and added so much to the Costa Rica experience! The staff was friendly and the food was delicious. We spent most of our time stuffing our face, drinking, laughing and lounging by the pool. The screened-in porch was perfect for sipping coffee, watching the rain and enjoying this beautiful part of the country. My husband was planning his trip back before we even left so Jeff & Lydia better get ready!!!

Room Tip: The view from the Jungle Suite is incredible- but remember people are right below you during the day...
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Toad Hall is a must see. The property has a spectacular view with a piece of untouched jungle that you can hike down to. My husband and I stopped by and ended up staying for the night. Jeff and Lidia prepared dinner for us which was outstanding. They created a five star dinning environment for us by the pool side which was remarkable and unforgettable. They did a beautiful job with the decor there is something for everyone there to admire. We stayed in the Jungle room which is highly recommended. In the morning you get a great view with great photo opportunities of Tuccan birds, and many other things. The staff is great and everyone makes you feel at home. They also rescue wild life and contribute greatly to the community. Great people great place.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Arenal
#23 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel Los Heroes
Hotel Los Heroes
#5 of 13 in Nuevo Arenal

Been to Toad Hall Hotel Arenal? Share your experiences!